Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

]

Why because I am not a fan boy that worships everything ford does?

So professional racing isn't about winning it's about showing up?
Look up the vehicles the bronco beat. Those trophy trucks have over a million dollars invested in each one. The suspensions alone cost more than my house. The bronco r was built with maybe $60-80k of additional parts. Somebody made them use the stock motor and trans. This is not a stock part type of race. It'd be like if someone entered a pink power wheel jeep in a 250cc motocross race with over 300 racers, and finishing in 70th place

Jetboy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner and FJ40 TLC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The race truck isnt really representative of the stock bronco. It's a race chassis with bronco skins. If Ford was serious about the real bronco, they'd be in stock mini class. Like Toyota does. Toyota raced an actual 4runner in 2010. And an actual tundra a couple years later. Both finished. Canguro raced their 2010 land cruiser this year - stock class ( it's an actual factory land cruiser with suspension and safety gear). It finished this year too. So why isn't ford racing the real thing in the race? To me - that's disappointing. I get that the raptor race team did not do well and they didn't want a repeat of that situation. But running a race chassis at half effort to just finish? That's not very interesting.

Last edited:

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look up the vehicles the bronco beat. Those trophy trucks have over a million dollars invested in each one. The suspensions alone cost more than my house. The bronco r was built with maybe $60-80k of additional parts. Somebody made them use the stock motor and trans. This is not a stock part type of race. It'd be like if someone entered a pink power wheel jeep in a 250cc motocross race with over 300 racers, and finishing in 70th place
I am not saying anything against the team that raced it .

I don't understand Ford's though process.

Either run Stock full ( which the did)

Or

Run the class it's in but go all in.

We're not talking some privateer on a budget we're talking Ford .

TheRealCobraBurnout

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Groovy!

Sponsored

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So they under built the R?
You could look at it that way. Winning would have required lengthening the front control arms and mounting them closer to centerline to get more travel, which isn't possible with the generally production intent frame architecture, engine configuration, and suspension geometry.

Make those changes and they're more competitive, but unable to gather useful data and prove the reliability of production parts which is a huge reason why they're racing.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You could look at it that way. Winning would have required lengthening the front control arms and mounting them closer to centerline to get more travel, which isn't possible with the generally production intent frame architecture, engine configuration, and suspension geometry.

Make those changes and they're more competitive, but unable to gather useful data and prove the reliability of production parts which is a huge reason why they're racing.
That makes sense, but then why not run strictly stock class?

kermitfrog

First Name
gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
drive
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't recall reading any Bronco transmission info that mentions "SelectShift®". Is this the same tranny going into Bronco?
The Selectshift transmission is metion somewhere on the specs for the bronco.

kermitfrog

First Name
gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
drive
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Selectshift transmission is metion somewhere on the specs for the bronco.
I think that it is the same transmission as the Selectshift is the actual trdemark name of the transmission.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"It's a race chassis with bronco skins."
Let me be clear, I would have preferred to see the Bronco compete in totally stock form like the Toyotas you mentioned or the Raptor previously. I think that would be more relevant and impressive. But to say this is a race chassis is an overstatement, or can certainly be misinterpreted from what they really built. Under that fiberglass body and roll cage is a Bronco frame, and the control arms (longer than stock) are attached to OEM hardpoints. This alone is a serous limitation if you are trying to Build a "race chassis" akin to the trophy or hammer trucks. That limits wheel travel and wheel path and constrains the shape and interface of the control arms themselves. The Bronco R is about testing more than a stock engine and transmission, aside from the rear axle housing and extended front half shafts you also have a stock driveline/joints, front axle, steering gear (as we saw that was pushed to its limit). They kept enough stock its wonder why they didn't just keep it all stock.

The Bronco R is way under built by "Race built" standards, and overbuilt from stock enough to be not entirely useful for comparison, and setting expectations all over the place. I don't have a good answer for why they did it this way.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They race we win,improvements in ride programming and parts performance,as well r&d for future bronc's

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

the OEM 2.7 / A10 is proven again, this just puts another positive asterisk on an excellent engine/trans design.
Sponsored