First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Edited to add - thanks for pointing out typos and quick formatting, or the irony of going from a Versa to a Bronco, but wants & need and family circumstances do change sometimes - that wasn't really my main point here. Just wondering do you make spreadsheets for comparison purposes & vehicle purchases? I've always done this, going back many years, and was just curious if I'm just being a nut. Seems like maybe I am ?‍♂

Original:

Am I the only one who does this level of planning for vehicle purchases?

Usually there is a comparison chart between 15 or so vehicles, comparing 5 and 10 year costs of ownership, but when I saw the Bronco I knew it was the only one I would consider this time around. And I also know (or at least most fervently hope) that this is a vehicle I can keep and love for a lot more than 5-10 years anyway, so those charts became meaningless.

Next is the budget/savings plan. For example, here's how I plan to get into my 4-door Black Diamond with just a few key options. And to justify the purchase, I've categorized it as an early midlife crisis ;)

Ford Bronco Ford Bronco Savings Plans Untitled
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are plenty of ammortization calculators online so I use those if im interested in seeing the breakout. I mostly compare new and used based upon my arbitrary calculation: a typical vehicle lasts 200k miles so purchase price/200,000 to get cost per mile. Helps me figure out how good of a deal a used car is depending upon its current mileage.

OP
OP
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do things a lot more simply. I just save my money so when there’s something I want, I buy it. ??‍♂
That's my goal as well. I try to live well within my means, have fully paid off college loans, put a lot of money into my house, and am well on my way to squaring away retirement. But I'm still young and dumb to an extent and want to enjoy the Bronco while I still have younglings around to enjoy it with, so sorry Dave Ramsey ??‍♂

Sponsored

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My thoughts on this... if you have to go to this much effort, drive something much, much cheaper for a while (a long while) until you feel more comfortable paying $50K for your new car.

There is NO justifying a depreciating asset such as this from a logic, financial advisement standpoint.

This is a luxury, not part of a financial plan.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Usually there is a comparison chart between 15 or so vehicles, comparing 5 and 10 year costs of ownership, but when I saw the Bronco I knew it was the only one I would consider this time around. And I also know (or at least most fervently hope) that this is a vehicle I can keep and love for a lot more than 5-10 years anyway, so those charts became meaningless.

Next is the budget/savings plan. For example, here's how I plan to get into my 4-door Black Diamond with just a few key options. And to justify the purchase, I've categorized it as an early midlife crisis ;)

View attachment 19408
No you arent, i have some family member that do that but I aint one of em.

This will be my first new car, I usually buy classics. Never sold anything for more than half what i put in it. And hopefully will never be selling this one. But my savings plan is pretty simple, save a couple hundred a month for the next 2 years plus my tips when i get back to work, that should get me down to a payment i can afford if i trim down my project car budget a bit.

OP
OP
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I literally understand about three columns on that spreadsheet, but what is a Versa and why does it cost $45,000?
Lol. My current daily drive which I am paying down quickly and trading in. Because I regretted buying a cheap econobox instead of saving for something more enjoyable. It's about $13-14k, not $45k - that's the Bronco

PR4X4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ and Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Lol. My current daily drive which I am paying down quickly and trading in. Because I regretted buying a cheap econobox instead of saving for something more enjoyable. It's about $13-14k, not $45k - that's the Bronco
Roger that I googled the pics and if anyone paid 45k for that they must be crazy.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My thoughts on this... if you have to go to this much effort, drive something much, much cheaper for a while (a long while) until you feel more comfortable paying $50K for your new car.

There is NO justifying a depreciating asset such as this from a logic, financial advisement standpoint.

I dont really do the asset thing, if i buy something its because I want it and have thought long and hard about any reason i may not want it in the future. That determines purchase. Therefore i dont have anything of value to anyone and dont have to worry about such things. The only times ive sold any cars was because i couldnt take them with me when crossing oceans.

Sponsored

pat86323

Badlands
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live alone, so I'm renting out 2 rooms in my house, and piling the cash up for a down payment. If the timing works out, and the money is enough, I may take a loan from my 401k, pay cash for it, and pay the loan interest to myself instead of a bank.

OP
OP
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Thanks for your concern Steve. I'll manage just fine though, it does actually fit well within my budget based on putting 50% plus down.

Most of my vehicle regrets over the years though have actually come from spending too little on cars though, and either having a maintenance nightmare or something that doesn't meet my needs.

I've maintain all my own cars for many years, and kept a 1992 Ford Ranger on the road from the early 2000s up until last year. So I've done what you are suggesting for a long time and am looking forward to moving on.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

View attachment 19408
Man, to each his own but that kind of planning and calculating and figuring must take out all the joy from getting a new ride!:eek::sick:

pat86323

Badlands
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also plan on selling my 68 camper special rust free and runs like a top if anyone is interested lol.

OP
OP
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man, to each his own but that kind of planning and calculating and figuring must take out all the joy from getting a new ride!:eek::sick:
I don't know if I'd ever get a new ride if I didn't make a spreadsheet. I guess I just tend to overanalyze / obsess over purchase decisions a bit regardless of what it is that I am buying.
Sponsored