First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
true. one of the many reasons that Lithium iron phosphate is going to be the most common chemistry. Cobalt and nickle will be for the highest density needs. sourcing materials for lfp wont be an issue and way cheaper.
Exactly. Most of the cobalt free batteries materials come from america. And will increase as more demand is made.
tesla had a huge presentation on it in 2019 or 2020. America could be a self sufficient battery provider.

supply is only low Because of covid and mines havent ramped up yet. Plenty in the ground
Sponsored

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not slowing down on ICE vehicles

Ford, however, has no plans to curb production of its gasoline-powered vehicles.
“We continue to see a lot of opportunity in the ICE business,” said Lawler, who called it a “strategic advantage.”

Farley noted the company would increasingly focus its ICE business around products with passionate owners, like Bronco SUVs or Mustang sports cars."

https://www.autonews.com/manufactur...m_campaign=20220203&utm_content=hero-headline
ICE vehicles will take a while before they get frozen out of the roads. Especially after reading this article, I think it will take a minute before range anxiety is assuaged in regards to EVs.
In the test done in the article, the Tundra used up only 32% of the gas tank while the Rivian RT used 91% of its battery capacity to tow a 2000lb trailer for 153 miles. Plus it will take forever to charge an EV for long trips in comparison to an ICE gas tank fill up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...a-tundra/ar-AATA2PU?ocid=uxbndlbing&PC=EMMX01

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And the people who reserved over a year before you, starting July 14, 2020, and still have no Bronco, get the shaft.
Well, some of the reservation holders like me are not switching to unconstrained parts like the soft top or deleting tow packages. Personal I'm cool waiting until they can build the vehicle I want.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
ICE vehicles will take a while before they get frozen out of the roads. Especially after reading this article, I think it will take a minute before range anxiety is assuaged in regards to EVs.
In the test done in the article, the Tundra used up only 32% of the gas tank while the Rivian RT used 91% of its battery capacity to tow a 2000lb trailer for 153 miles. Plus it will take forever to charge an EV for long trips in comparison to an ICE gas tank fill up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...a-tundra/ar-AATA2PU?ocid=uxbndlbing&PC=EMMX01
1 range while towing will improve. Rivian isnt a good example.
2 once they get it to 300+ miles while towing will be enough. Because you really SHOULDNT drive that much with out a break.
3 charging will only take 40 minutes. Total trip even cross country will only take a few hours more done safely.
4 range will dramatically improve with solid state batteries

tedweb

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, KIA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven’t they only been producing Broncos for 8 months? From what I heard there is just so many people who want one. Not justifying it but with chip shortages and hard top constraints I’m amazed they’ve gotten out what they have already. I ordered mine in October and wasn’t hopeful I’d get it as fast as I did.
Let me give you a sincere high-five. Receiving a Bronco that was ordered in October is nothing short of AMAZING! In contrast, my Bronco build completed back in September. I’ve never seen it, and I have no idea where it’s at. A little communication from @Ford Motor Company would go a long way.

Meanwhile, I passed two Broncos less than a mile from my house yesterday.

#feelingscrewed

Last edited:

Sponsored

Smashquatch

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion 15 Patriot 03 Cooper S 85 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very fair point and not clear when it will be an advantage for an apartment to offer this. There are reserved parking spots and maybe some apartment complex will start offering some as an add on with charging for a price. People won't miss spending their time and money going to gas stations. Also, opportunity to make money for the owners.

Unrelated but a story I saw. Some taco bell added charging stations. People buy food and buy electricity. Think like how many grocery stores have fast food places in their parking lots (hey Home Depot too).

Also, saw that a gas station added some charging stations. Comment was made that the owner made more money from electric charging than gas.

Only way to know the pace of change is seeing it (but there is science around s-curve adoption rates).
Speaking of charging stations, I couldn’t help but laugh at how many diesel trucks and excavators and skid steer loaders it took over the course of a month to put six Tesla charging stations in at one gas station 🤣🤣

sshurts

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
misc, no jeep or bronco at this time.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Speaking of charging stations, I couldn’t help but laugh at how many diesel trucks and excavators and skid steer loaders it took over the course of a month to put six Tesla charging stations in at one gas station 🤣🤣
Certainly the irony is not missed.
My admiration of Tesla EV is way more to do with the advancement of the vehicle in more ways than can be easily listed. Just read that a model s plain nailed a 8.9 quarter mile. Fastest production car ever. Kicks the crap out of my 66 shelby cobra replica. That is the fun factor aspect. The rest of the list is long. Then add in the safety aspects and self driving.

Smashquatch

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Certainly the irony is not missed.
My admiration of Tesla EV is way more to do with the advancement of the vehicle in more ways than can be easily listed. Just read that a model s plain nailed a 8.9 quarter mile. Fastest production car ever. Kicks the crap out of my 66 shelby cobra replica. That is the fun factor aspect. The rest of the list is long. Then add in the safety aspects and self driving.
They’re definitely ahead of the curve and fearless. But $25,000 when you need to replace the batteries? You can build a 9 second car in your garage in a few weekends for that money. But don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind taking a good rip in one. I’m equal an opportunity funhaver 👍

sshurts

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
misc, no jeep or bronco at this time.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They’re definitely ahead of the curve and fearless. But $25,000 when you need to replace the batteries? You can build a 9 second car in your garage in a few weekends for that money. But don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind taking a good rip in one. I’m equal an opportunity funhaver 👍
a production daily driver doing those times is not really apples to apples comparison, nor the point of it. And yes I enjoy NHRA and have been plenty. Pro stock is my fav. The torq curve of electric and linear acceleration is ridiculous.

it is possible your understanding of the battery life is a touch behind. I’m hearing 300k to 500k now and a 1m is in the works. Of course there are examples that haven’t faired as well. If I could share what a cluster my f250 with a diesel was. Or that my explorer sport had to have both turbos replace.

the battery development curve is crazy and we are in the early innings of what is to come. ICE engines are pretty well along their path.

all good chats and fair to poke at the subject.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
TBH my Bronco will likely be replaced by an EV SUV with >10” of ground clearance, >300mi EPA range, <$80k MSRP, >=2 motors in the next few years as they become available. I don’t care if Ford doesn’t offer such a product, because others will. So probably an R1S.

All new ICE vehicles have become just as complex electronically as EVs, and farrrrr more complex mechanically. More failure points during service life, more failure points during manufacturing. Just look at the 2.7 saga. I’m speaking from experience unlike many in this thread. I’ve owned 2 Teslas (MY2018 & MY2020), a 4Runner (MY2019), a Tacoma (MY2016), etc. all within the last 7 years.

For me, EV ownership experience blows ICE out of the water, and don’t even get me started on the legacy dealership model experience.

No one here knows how long the demise of the ICE will take, so debating it in this thread is stupid, just like the 500 threads that came before this one. But many major manufacturers are already killing their ICE development teams, and many more are only just beginning to make massive investments in the EV space. It’s coming.

And, everyone should be excited about EVs or some amount of electrification. Remember natural aspiration? Port injection? If fully ICE new consumer vehicles are still widely available in 10 years I shudder to think what their powertrains will look like. 0.125-liter , quintuple-turbocharged, ultra-direct injected Frankenstein spaghetti monsters that last 15k miles before exploding and sound like amplified mosquitos? No one here seems to be admitting it, but ICE has been over the hill on its way toward death for years. The ICE heyday is long gone, and any ICE you get today is a massive compromise.
None of what you said sounds like death, but more like murder.

Sponsored

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just want a Badlands with a 7.3. Is that too much to ask?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are barely any EV in your State. Many more here in WA
Hate to break it to you, but there's a much bigger difference between the targets of these conversion campaigns and the market penetration in WA than there is between market penetraiton in SD and WA. Being 10* nothing is still basically nothing.

Smashquatch

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

a production daily driver doing those times is not really apples to apples comparison, nor the point of it. And yes I enjoy NHRA and have been plenty. Pro stock is my fav. The torq curve of electric and linear acceleration is ridiculous.

it is possible your understanding of the battery life is a touch behind. I’m hearing 300k to 500k now and a 1m is in the works. Of course there are examples that haven’t faired as well. If I could share what a cluster my f250 with a diesel was. Or that my explorer sport had to have both turbos replace.

the battery development curve is crazy and we are in the early innings of what is to come. ICE engines are pretty well along their path.

all good chats and fair to poke at the subject.
There’s still a lot that’s unknown about the durability of ev. Manufacturers trying to reinvent the wheel leaves us with the 6.0L diesel debacle and so on and so forth. But the ICE engine in its entirety has been around and proven for a very very long time. I’m sure it had its detractors in the beginning too. Time will tell. Cheers
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.