First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
There’s still a lot that’s unknown about the durability of ev. Manufacturers trying to reinvent the wheel leaves us with the 6.0L diesel debacle and so on and so forth. But the ICE engine in its entirety has been around and proven for a very very long time. I’m sure it had its detractors in the beginning too. Time will tell. Cheers
Thing is Evs have been dramatically improving every year. People are looking at a 10 year old model S and comparing that to modern ICE. Even those are lasting 80-100k miles with 0 issues. And thats old tech. Most evs now have a 100-150k warranty. New batteries coming out now are expected to have a 200-500k warranty (depending on type) and its still not the end yet. 20-30 years from now we could EASILY have evs that last 30 years 500,000 miles with 0 replacements and minimal maintenance. But time will tell.

its exciting to see all the progress across the board now from so many different companies. Rather than just tesla.
Sponsored

Heelabaloo

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I could see certain models like the F150 and Bronco existing much longer as ICE vehicles while the Mustangs and urban non-work vehicles being dominated by EV offerings much sooner than many think. For the Bronco crowd, an EV model would mostly appeal to the more urban, luxury Outer Banks crowd. I’ve thought for some time now that this will be my last ICE vehicle. In ten years or so when my wife an I look to upgrade our vehicles we’ll likely lean toward an EV.

josedirte

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3500 Ram Limited, 2017 Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How will most apartment complex's handle charging all tenants cars every night? Up the service amperage, then up the utilities to handle the extra loads? I don't buy it until I see the utility companies dumping money into the infrastructure to support 80% or greater ownership of EV's.
Supply and demand. All those Watts have to come from somewhere. The increased electrical load applied to our nation electrical grid would undoubtedly necessitate larger conductor for the safe delivery of the increased load/watts. The upgrade would take years and cost Billions, seems like they may end up with the "Carte before the Horse".

Smashquatch

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion 15 Patriot 03 Cooper S 85 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thing is Evs have been dramatically improving every year. People are looking at a 10 year old model S and comparing that to modern ICE. Even those are lasting 80-100k miles with 0 issues. And thats old tech. Most evs now have a 100-150k warranty. New batteries coming out now are expected to have a 200-500k warranty (depending on type) and its still not the end yet. 20-30 years from now we could EASILY have evs that last 30 years 500,000 miles with 0 replacements and minimal maintenance. But time will tell.

its exciting to see all the progress across the board now from so many different companies. Rather than just tesla.
You are absolutely correct. And diesels regularly go a million miles pulling goods all over the country. The current popular opinion is forcing the technology efforts in the direction of ev’s. And just because something is expected to perform a certain way doesn’t mean it will in all cases. You’re on a 6G Bronco forum; lots of examples of that right at our fingertips 😁

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Going from less than 3% of the market to the majority is going to take a LOT longer than any of these fantasy proposals I've seen talking heads promote.

Electrics get talked about constantly, but hardly anyone is actually buying them.
I agree with you but don't discount the momentum building. In the past 8 months in my parking lot at work, we went from 1 Tesla to over 10. In a parking lot of over 200 probably it's still a very small amount, but it's happening. There's other electrics in there but they don't stand out as much as 10 identical Tesla's lol

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I lived in a rural area in a home with a breaker box that was already maxed out and on the wrong side of the house AND the box was 100' from where the charger would be, so that would take a couple thousand dollars to upgrade and install. I wouldn't have done that any time soon.

Regarding apartments, I've envisioned that as demand changes, those three gas stations on the corner next to an apartment complex will become 2 gas stations and one parking garage/carport charging station; then eventually one gas and two charging stations. The apartment resident parks at an assigned spot for the month or length of a rental agreement, and walks from the corner lot to the apartment complex next door.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

1 range while towing will improve. Rivian isnt a good example.
2 once they get it to 300+ miles while towing will be enough. Because you really SHOULDNT drive that much with out a break.
3 charging will only take 40 minutes. Total trip even cross country will only take a few hours more done safely.
4 range will dramatically improve with solid state batteries
Charging times to 100%, will eventually get to under 10 minutes, maybe under 5. When that happens, it's game over for ICE's.

Tornado_735

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Silverado, 18 EcoSport 4x4, 09 Aveo, 1995 P38
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Meanwhile, I heard a supervisor at work getting an earful from a customer because his EV wasn't getting the range he was promised. Of course, he said he cruises at 85-90 in high performance mode with the headlights, heated seats, radio, and heater on....all while going up 3000 feet in elevation on his way to work.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I lived in a rural area in a home with a breaker box that was already maxed out and on the wrong side of the house AND the box was 100' from where the charger would be, so that would take a couple thousand dollars to upgrade and install. I wouldn't have done that any time soon.

Regarding apartments, I've envisioned that as demand changes, those three gas stations on the corner next to an apartment complex will become 2 gas stations and one parking garage/carport charging station; then eventually one gas and two charging stations. The apartment resident parks at an assigned spot for the month or length of a rental agreement, and walks from the corner lot to the apartment complex next door.
Also, charging times are going to drop like a rock. It will eventually take the same amount of time as it does now to fill up with gas.

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The other OEM's have finally seen the writing on the wall. The ICE's days are numbered.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also, charging times are going to drop like a rock. It will eventually take the same amount of time as it does now to fill up with gas.
We keep hearing about these magical breakthrough batteries with massive capacity increases and near-instant charging times but they fail to appear year after year. Perhaps we'll see them someday, but we were also promised flying cars...

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Charging times to 100%, will eventually get to under 10 minutes, maybe under 5. When that happens, it's game over for ICE's.
Rainbows and cookies too!

You can do that now, as long as you abide by the laws of thermodynamics and accept that it will be scorching hot and void your warranty. Unless someone wants to cool it with a tank of liquid nitrogen or something -- surely the sprinkling of supercooled superconductors into consumer electronics is right around the corner.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not slowing down on ICE vehicles

Ford, however, has no plans to curb production of its gasoline-powered vehicles.
“We continue to see a lot of opportunity in the ICE business,” said Lawler, who called it a “strategic advantage.”

Farley noted the company would increasingly focus its ICE business around products with passionate owners, like Bronco SUVs or Mustang sports cars."

https://www.autonews.com/manufactur...m_campaign=20220203&utm_content=hero-headline
There is so much BS and lies about electric vehicles. Firstly modern internal combustion engines are very efficient and clean. The majority of electric power comes from coal or natural gas, in the midwest where I live and in much of the country it's coal. The small amount coming from wind turbines is going to be consumed whether or not you plug in your car, the additional power to charge your car comes from guess what fossil fuels. Batteries have their own environmental impact and if you're lucky will last 10 years. That said I'm not opposed to electric vehicles and may get one myself, but no you're not saving the planet! It's amazing how college professors even with phds actually think electric vehicles are zero emissions. Tell a lie enough times people believe it truth be damned.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.