North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Your assertion (after editing out the not relative bits in your post above) is that you believe Ford was vindictive against Granger (as well as saying Granger, being a dealer, did not know the timeline would be so long, mitigating your assertion that they should have 'known better') for adding the October special when the Allocations were added. (and we can all stipulate the allocations were a surprise to everyone, especially the end consumer, so that Granger reacted to Ford's change in a predictable manner)

Now, and I am not trying to be facetious, just trying to gain a different perspective; From a non-dealer perspective, all dealers (and I will henceforth use Granger for ease of example) qualified to get exactly zero Bronco units for sale on their own for 2021. That is to say, the end consumer picked the dealer based on what Ford had stated in their written terms and conditions. Price, location, service, the color of the drapes, whatever they consider to be the best mix of terms, it makes no difference. The end user picked where the reservation went. This is not a case of dealerships putting in 1300 orders on their own, these were sold units that Ford had presented via written terms of the reservation system to be filled in order and before dealer stock. The dealers were not allowed to put in orders without a reservation and to my understanding, they could not refuse them. If that is the case, the argument for any dealer taking on 'too many' reservations evaporates. (again, this is from a non-dealer perspective)

Now, as we all know Ford added allocations and (after 2022 order banks opened) changed them to ignore reservations completely when setting the number of units a dealer gets.

Here is the thing; Ford never notified us that they were adding allocations, what the allocations did, or that they were suspending the all reservations filled before dealer stock after 2021MY. They quietly updated the terms and conditions on the reservation page to add cutesy phrases like "depending on how many your dealer gets" and "all 2021 models will be built before dealer stock" I don't know about you, but I have never felt the need to go back to a webpage to see if the terms and conditions changed after I bought and received a product. The reservation was completed when I ordered. That would be 3/11/21. At that point it was known (though outside research via this site) that there were allocations that took reservations into account to a small degree, there have to be a great many people who still believed Ford was building in order of timestamp. In any event... my reservation was completed, I fulfilled my obligations to Ford with the $100 payment (what they do with it is not my concern) and my personal information, the terms, even though I was never properly notified, I understood them to (accurately at the time) include my order being completed before appreciable dealer stock. (and the supply chain problems did not precipitate Fords decision to unilaterally change the terms.)

Now, after my reservation was completed when I ordered, Ford goes back and changes the all reservations before dealer stock to the moot point of all 2021 reservations before dealer stock. They have altered my paid for and completed reservation terms retroactively. The changed the reservation system to ignore the number of reservations at the respective dealers, thus completely destroying the basic premise of their reservation system (which was FIFO)

Not a bitch-fest here, just laying out the facts on what Ford has chosen to do. If it is unflattering to Ford, blame them, not the messengers.

My cardinal sin was to pick my preferred dealer who made the same mistake I did, they trusted Ford to be an ethical company that would stand behind their word and not hide behind the legalese fine print that allowed them to utterly destroy the reservation system, tweak by tweak.

Granger and their customers did not 'game' any system. It was without question the basic tenet of the touted reservation system that each reservation carried it's own allocation with the timestamp being the priority code. If Ford wanted to limit the terms of that reservation system to half a years production, they should have limited reservations to something less than double the best case production scenario seeing that they keep claiming that they expected a 70% conversion rate.

Ford set the terms, Dealerships and people reacted predictably and reasonably to them. Ford decided they did not like the results of the 'game' and upended the table with all the pieces on it. That is not anyone's fault but Ford.

That is the layman's view of the situation. Ford has no idea how many people will never even consider a Ford product in the future. Being felt manipulated and lied to by a company is not an awesome advertising campaign for future business.

While Ford may not 'be after' the little dealer, they are helping 'the big' dealer, so the effect on a zero sum, production limited, game is the same. Can't have one without the other. Again, from our perspective, Ford promised a clean and even game, level playing field for everyone, then changed it after the fact.

This last paragraph above really is the crux of it; Went from the final consumer picking the deal that worked best for them and not being penalized as it was in one big line (pre-allocations), nothing could be more fair to the final consumer, to Ford changing it up to favor Ford's preferred dealers and not even considering the people who made the reservations so long ago is offensive and disrespectful in the extreme.

Whether you agree or not with the near universal sentiment about the situation, Ford chose to do what they did and people feel they are righteously pissed off about it. For anyone, especially a dealer (who may or may not have benefited from what most everyone else sees as a betrayal) to come and opine that they should have known better to trust Ford or their dealer, or that their complaints are not true or valid is going to stroke up a lot of resentment and anger. Ford ignores our pain and complaints, why do you chose to do the same by blaming dealers and their customers that Ford threw under the bus? (by your admission, you believe Ford acted intentionally against Granger and, by extension, other small dealers instead of keeping the level playing field that people signed up for under the reservation system)

Sadly, I did not keep the even keel I had envisioned when starting this post, rest assured, it was not meant to be a personal attack against you. Dredging the situation up has angered up the blood, it is a wound that Ford keeps tearing open each and every day they go down the path they have chosen. Raw.

This is the damage that Ford is doing to its brand (and dealers such as yourself who seem to be decent folks), they do it every second of every day. They will do it with the Lightning, the Maverick, et al.

I truly wish you luck with them in the future. The damage to the ethical reputation of Ford is real and it will linger for a long time to come.

edit; spelling and a few verb tense changes.
@Drex, Amazing, articulate and professionally written, thank you!

It would be outstanding if everybody would send this to their favorite automotive website, magazine or news organization and ask them to write a story about Ford's END customer approach. It will be interesting to see when Ford starts pulling this crap on the F-150 Lighting and Maverick buyers.

I have not owned a Ford in over 20 years, if I do follow through with a Bronco purchase, it will be the last Ford I ever buy.
Sponsored

Incommunicado

Big Bend
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

“We are aware that some customers who placed orders at certain dealerships may be waiting longer than expected. We are investigating why this has occurred at a limited number of dealerships.”

Bold.

Many have already noted spot-on thoughts about how Ford flipped the table halfway through the game, by changing the allocation… which they can certainly do… at risk of pissing off the many reservation holders that were operating under the original plan.

So a handful of smart dealers offered special pricing to reservation holders and grabbed many orders. Great job. Free market, right?

But Ford must have noticed that what little product they could produce was about to get routed to just a few small dealers. Large Ford flagship dealers were about to watch delivery after delivery go to just a few, if it were strictly by time stamp regardless of location. But by changing the allocation, they ensured greater national distribution (a marketing necessity) and kept their biggest dealers in the game (you know, the ones that refused to compete and were msrp and msrp+ only). So a few dealers and their customers get screwed… collateral damage.

To hear Ford say they are investigating what they themselves did is comical at best.

jleafgre

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Arbitrary deadline. If you are on one side you get price protection, if you are on the other side, no price protection yet both will wait similar amounts of time.

The dealer priority is another issue. Sending more to larger dealers just ensures they stay larger but maybe they should be forced to work harder. There is only 1 fair way that should be compliant with every state law and that is produce them in the order received and the only exception is parts availability. The other obvious fix is to ramp up production.

Booback

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xxx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Arbitrary deadline. If you are on one side you get price protection, if you are on the other side, no price protection yet both will wait similar amounts of time.

The dealer priority is another issue. Sending more to larger dealers just ensures they stay larger but maybe they should be forced to work harder. There is only 1 fair way that should be compliant with every state law and that is produce them in the order received and the only exception is parts availability. The other obvious fix is to ramp up production.
“Sending more to larger dealers just ensures they stay larger but maybe they should be forced to work harder”
Except what @Ford Motor Company did wasn’t even that. There’s no real way reservations can be moved. So all it does is punish reservation holders and small dealers.

Last edited:

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another point that people seem to forget is that we were pressed to make a dealership decision by a certain date. Initially, Ford said we could switch dealers just once and it had to be done by October 2020. So of course we were aggressively calling dealers and trying to find one that would put a price in writing so we could avoid paying surprise high ADMs. We wanted to find a price as close to the advertised price on the build and price tool, Ford's MSRP, as we could, from a dealer that was knowledgeable and trustworthy. When you're spending tens of thousands on a new vehicle, you don't want to make an agreement with someone who can't even quote you a price.

In my experience, calling dealerships around Colorado, none met that simple standard. Posts on this site showed that people in other states were having similar experiences: their local dealerships would not put a price in writing.

Ford then changed that rule and gave us until sometime in January 2021. Then they said we could switch dealerships more than once.

By then, anyone with an early reservation had already locked in a dealership by the earlier deadline of October 2020. There was no reason for us to continue shopping around.

So the defense that most dealerships couldn't discuss pricing that early, which I've seen in several articles, is nonsense. Some dealerships were discussing it, and many early reservation holders were funneled to them by Ford's own original system that forced us to choose a dealership within roughly three months, from July through October.

If more dealerships had been willing to discuss pricing by October, or if Ford had never imposed that deadline in the first place, the reservations would have been spread across more of them.

Again, Ford created this mess from the beginning, and they exacerbated it tenfold with the changing allocation system that's preventing many early reservation holders from getting their Broncos in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigSkyBadlander

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Honda Element 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“Additionally, if a customer isn’t happy with their dealer experience, they have an option to transfer their reservation or unscheduled order to a different dealer.”

Bold faced lie alert. Reminder: My transfer request sat unanswered for 5 months. Not one single update was provided. No agent would give me a timeline, a hint of timeline, or any indication that my request advanced from “open request” in any way at all. For five months.
I moved mine twice. Maybe have more tenacity?

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I moved mine twice. Maybe have more tenacity?
I called multiple times, Levine had an assistant reach out to me that led to absolutely nothing. I also contacted both dealers for approval ahead of time and again to ask for help subsequently. Short of berating a call center agent, not sure what else could be done. I’m not going to berate an agent.

Note: this was after the initial order was placed, consistent with how Farley laid out his comment.

BigSkyBadlander

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called multiple times, Levine had an assistant reach out to me that led to absolutely nothing. I also contacted both dealers for approval ahead of time and again to ask for help subsequently. Short of berating a call center agent, not sure what else could be done. I’m not going to berate an agent.

Note: this was after the initial order was placed, consistent with how Farley laid out his comment.
What does Levine have to do with anything? Not his job man. Just call Ford customer service and move it. Easy.

MrWindowsAZ

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013/2018 Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don’t see this as a huge issue either.

In the March 2021 timeframe, dealerships were actively converting ALL reservations to orders (sometimes without consent) because converted orders factored into the allocation formula at the time.

A 99 priority order is still an order.

Who here has a reservation before March 2021 that didn’t convert it to an order? I can’t believe there is much if any at all.
I haven't converted my 08/17/2020 reservation to an order as yet. I wanted an OBX/MIC/AMB, now no AMB, so looking at an Everglades.

Sponsored

BigSkyBadlander

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He saw me complain on twitter and had someone reach out to me. I didn’t ask for that, but it happened.
Customer service and PR people have two totally different functions. Guess which one is there to save face in the public eye and blow smoke up your ass and which one is for solving your problems?

williamoneal

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F250 - Probably won't make it till the Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now I'm even more chapped. Guess what - When I make a commitment to buy your vehicle the day you opened the order banks, my perspective is - YOU SHOULD SELL IT TO ME FOR WHAT I AGREED TO PAY YOU. You aren't doing me a favor - You are holding up your part of the deal albeit nearly two years late (If I'm Lucky). Your choice to send unsold vehicles to dealers instead of filling my order SHOULD NOT COST ME MONEY! Fill the dang orders of the people who gave you a commitment more than a year and a half ago!

Gotta love it even more when you have had a reservation that long ago, and placed an order as soon as the orders opened in January of 2021, with no Schedule date in site, and THEY ARE GIVING THE DANG THINGS AWAY ON WHEEL OF FORTUNE. Between seeing that on TV and hearing about how many are being shipped to dealers that are "unsold" shipments, I quickly see how much they care about the commitment I made to them in 2020. Google Ford Slogans and you will see that one of them is: Ford has a better idea. I think I now know what that means now. Money over loyalty.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

“Additionally, if a customer isn’t happy with their dealer experience, they have an option to transfer their reservation or unscheduled order to a different dealer.”

Bold faced lie alert. Reminder: My transfer request sat unanswered for 5 months. Not one single update was provided. No agent would give me a timeline, a hint of timeline, or any indication that my request advanced from “open request” in any way at all. For five months.
My reservations move started in August 2021 and didn’t transfer till end of February this year after 23 calls!!!

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My reservations move started in August 2021 and didn’t transfer till end of February this year after 23 calls!!!
Mind you that still doesn't mean that I have Bronco yet! I just have a new location closer to my house
Sponsored