Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The way I see it, if you can afford a Bronco you can afford to get it painted yourself any color you want.
We obviously live in very different worlds.??
Just because I can splurge for a jar of caviar to celebrate a special occasion doesn't mean I can afford to buy a silver spoon for serving it.??
Or from a different perspective:
Why would I pay extra money to someone to paint my Bronco when I just paid Ford to electrostaticly paint my Bronco at the factory?
Sponsored

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
?
Lots of people and then some for a good job.
I do this on the side, been painting for about 30 years.
The truck in my profile placed 2nd in its first show, lost out to a 32 Ford full fender car with a $24k paint job.
Twenty-four. Thousand. Dollar. Paint job.
Not including bodywork.
Now that's insane.
6K? not insane.
I had probably half that in materials alone in that paint job.
Maaco isn't where it's at, and anyone spending 60K on a new car wouldn't get a $599 Maaco job anyway. (and it's NEVER just $599, that's a bait-n-switch).
I can do mine at cost but will not take a DA sander to a new car I am paying for.
If someone else wants their Bronco painted, hey it's their decision and I'll sand and paint it better than factory, but not my own. Not yet.
Give it a few years' worth of wear and tear and I'll be OD greening that bad boy with matte tan Raptor portions on the lower body.
Appreciate the wisdom. I'd love to be able to do my own paint work. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to repair a wheel arch on my FSB ?
I agree, why paint a brand new $50k+ vehicle? I'll see about wrapping anything I "must" have now, then maybe touch up later, after normal wear/tear, like you said.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the wisdom. I'd love to be able to do my own paint work. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to repair a wheel arch on my FSB ?
slow and steady.
Only use as much of the patch panel as you have to. Just because it is X inches wide by X inches tall doesn't mean ya cut that same shape out. Factory metal is FAR superior to that pretend 18ga stuff they sell aftermarket.
1. cut the factory metal rust area out, making sure to get it all.
2. cut your patch panel slightly larger than your hole and take tiny bits of it off as you go until it fits right.
3. tack, move to the other end, tack, tack in the middle, back to the first one and tack beside it, etc. 4. Go ahead and gently grind down your tacks as you go once you get about 12 or so of them on there. If you hit the metal on each side of the tack, stop grinding. Repeat until done.
5. Use a body hammer to gently tap down high spots, use filler sparingly, but cover the entire area plus a few inches outside of the repair area. Sand it with a long block, prime it with a good high build primer.
6. Spray a light coat of black paint on there, let dry. This is your guide coat.
7. Sand that with the block in all directions until you either hit metal (stop and re-prime or re-glaze it) or all of the black is gone and edges are feathered out.
8. Prime it again.
9. Wipe it with a prep solvent (or pour it down the side is more conducive). Look at it from all angles, as the shine from the liquid mimics a clear coat and will show you any waves left over.
10. prime, block, prime as much as you have to to get it straight.
Important notes:
-Too much heat too fast will ruin the metal and warp it, making a huge repair.
-Make sure the surface is meticulously clean before applying the next step.
-If it is fairly wavy after your grinding you can use a fiber-reinforced filler and it will grab the metal better and give you more to sand.
-Don't use pray-can primers. They suck, and do not sand well at all. Bare minimum should b a Kirker high build or something of the sort.
-Make sure and coat the back side and inside of the panel with a good rust-preventative product.

-kind of off-subject of green paint from Ford....but I got on a tangent there.

Sponsored

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 2.7L, 93 Bronco 5.8L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

umm... isn't cactus grey, actually a green shade?
Or I am interacting with a bunch of color blind males* who cannot tell?

Maybe the green was there all along, and you just could not see it.

* Males have an exponentially higher chance of being colorblind than females.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 1.48.07 PM.png
The rendering of CG on Fords site is way off. Seeing it in person, it is more of a concrete gray with very slight tint of any semblance of green depending on the angle and shade.

RobPS

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, MB E350 Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not a fan of any green....they can have it.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bet it is a "high- impact" green, like the new Toyota 4 Runner color. Otherwise, who needs a boring green? Also, I bet it could be an "extra cost option."

Sponsored

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Good. Green, orange and tan for the few that want should round out the colour choices nicely.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
slow and steady.
Only use as much of the patch panel as you have to. Just because it is X inches wide by X inches tall doesn't mean ya cut that same shape out. Factory metal is FAR superior to that pretend 18ga stuff they sell aftermarket.
1. cut the factory metal rust area out, making sure to get it all.
2. cut your patch panel slightly larger than your hole and take tiny bits of it off as you go until it fits right.
3. tack, move to the other end, tack, tack in the middle, back to the first one and tack beside it, etc. 4. Go ahead and gently grind down your tacks as you go once you get about 12 or so of them on there. If you hit the metal on each side of the tack, stop grinding. Repeat until done.
5. Use a body hammer to gently tap down high spots, use filler sparingly, but cover the entire area plus a few inches outside of the repair area. Sand it with a long block, prime it with a good high build primer.
6. Spray a light coat of black paint on there, let dry. This is your guide coat.
7. Sand that with the block in all directions until you either hit metal (stop and re-prime or re-glaze it) or all of the black is gone and edges are feathered out.
8. Prime it again.
9. Wipe it with a prep solvent (or pour it down the side is more conducive). Look at it from all angles, as the shine from the liquid mimics a clear coat and will show you any waves left over.
10. prime, block, prime as much as you have to to get it straight.
Important notes:
-Too much heat too fast will ruin the metal and warp it, making a huge repair.
-Make sure the surface is meticulously clean before applying the next step.
-If it is fairly wavy after your grinding you can use a fiber-reinforced filler and it will grab the metal better and give you more to sand.
-Don't use pray-can primers. They suck, and do not sand well at all. Bare minimum should b a Kirker high build or something of the sort.
-Make sure and coat the back side and inside of the panel with a good rust-preventative product.

-kind of off-subject of green paint from Ford....but I got on a tangent there.
I'll have to take this one line at a time. I have NO experience doing it. Sincerely appreciate the detail though, it helps! Thanks!

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is the color I have been asking for. Mil Vet here too and I would prefer it olive drab; nonetheless, this color is a winner.
Sponsored