Sponsored

Ford cracking down on dealer markups over MSRP?

ElJeffe

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeff.henshaw.org
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1250RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Swatman

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry. I'm a capitalist. Dealers own the cars and can sell them for whatever they want. Obviously this doesn't mean they can breach promises they've made to customers. But their stock is their own and they can price it however they want. If Ford doesn't like it, they can sell direct to consumers.

Wamland

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry. I'm a capitalist. Dealers own the cars and can sell them for whatever they want. Obviously this doesn't mean they can breach promises they've made to customers. But their stock is their own and they can price it however they want. If Ford doesn't like it, they can sell direct to consumers.
Agree with this in principle. As long as dealers aren’t reneging on orders placed they can charge what they want.
would completely love to get rid of the dealer concept all together.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Direct to consumers is exactly what Ford wants to do. Farley and others have referenced it many times. So the dealers are just pushing that into the spotlight much faster by charging ADM's and marking things up unreasonably. However this theory that the dealers own the cars, that I'm not 100% sure on. Also to be a Ford dealer means you have contractural obligations to that brand and it may be clearly stated and defined what you can and cannot do with their (Ford's) new vehicles and how they may be priced.

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If Ford doesn’t like it- then the dealers quits getting cars from Ford!

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll believe it when I see it! I’ve seen ADM’s remain high in my area since they began hitting lots. Doesn’t seem like dealers are too worried what this guy says.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Uh, no, the dealer does not own the car you buy new or it would be a used car title you get. No dealer in the world can afford to buy outright their inventory. It is all floorplanned and is still owned by Ford until first registration. It is Ford's Bronco until first purchase, which is not the dealer. So Ford has every right to enforce the price Ford put on the vehicle.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will bet my Bronco that will never be built that this pertains more to the Lightning than is does the Bronco. Ford has told us lowly Bronco reservationist too many times that there is nothing they can do about dealers putting stupid high ADMs on the Bronco.

Sponsored

Five-O Donut Hole

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Raptor-Loaded-Original Owner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I posted this elsewhere....At Ford service this week and watched them unload a Bronco 2-door Wildtrak, MIC top and LUX. Gets parked up front with the other 2 'stock orders'. I stroll by it a little while later and look at the window sticker....$20,0000 ADM. So much for 2-doors and MIC tops being hard to come by for retail orders.

Last edited:

Wamland

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

“Suggested”

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess not all dealers give a crap what Ford says, there is a dealership in Henderson NV that has a 4 door FE at 105k two 2 doors FE at 99k and a 2 door WT at 95k and 3 or 4 other 4 doors at 75k dont know how they got so many FEs or broncos for there lot .

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with this except that it reflects poorly on Ford and they as the manufacturer should be allowed to protect their brand

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the article:
During the automaker's earnings call Thursday night, the Ford CEO reiterated his commitment to eliminate the "unreasonable markups" some dealers have been charging amid the shortage of new vehicles.

Talk about a wish-washy statement. This is totally for PR purposes. What's unreasonable? $20K, $30K, $50K???

Unlike the title of this thread, there is no reference to MSRP. I would assume that, at a minimum, a few thousand of MSRP is perfectly acceptable given the soft statement from Farley.
Sponsored