Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is this a chip thread, a bash China thread, a dealer inventory thread, a what's wrong with America thread, a virus thread, or a "uh-oh, I'm not going to get my Bronco thread?

Anyway, for the people saying why don't we just start making chips, please go check out the other chip threads, and watch that 60 minutes story. It's not simple at all. It's not even cost effective for the automobile chips. It would take multi-billions of dollars to build or convert a plant for manufacturing a chip that sells for $1.

edit: I went and found a couple stories for you from a chip thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...-sparked-crisis-in-global-economy/ar-BB1fkxEy

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-th...ard-to-overcome-11618844905?mod=djemalertNEWS
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

s_white21

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They would need some type of new car inventory but that would be nice.

Interesting....my lease is up in november and and I just checked carmax....they are selling lower trim mazda6s with more miles for like 5 or 6 grand more than my buyout....
I'd definitely look into. A lot of lease cars with equity right now.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't need them to have inventory, I just need the one I ordered.

Off topic: All OEMs should just move to an order-only model. (I'm not saying like Tesla.) Dealers can still make money with service, parts and F&I. I know it'll never happens, but it's nice to dream.
So you want the manufacturer to be the one setting pricing for everyone? Not sure that would be in the consumer's best interest.

Sponsored

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So you want the manufacturer to be the one setting pricing for everyone? Not sure that would be in the consumer's best interest.
Sure...that's the M in MSRP, right? There are still rebates and incentives from the manufacturer depending on a lot of different factors. I don't see why that has to change.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure...that's the M in MSRP, right? There are still rebates and incentives from the manufacturer depending on a lot of different factors. I don't see why that has to change.
It would just change to sale price, no suggestion. They wouldn't need incentives either because they are only making what they sell and wouldn't have to worry about inventory building up. There is a lot of value dealers provide vs. the little profit made selling a new vehicle. Basically, manufacturers would just add our margin on top of theirs resulting in the customer paying the same as if the dealer was still involved, possibly more.

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It would just change to sale price, no suggestion. They wouldn't need incentives either because they are only making what they sell and wouldn't have to worry about inventory building up. There is a lot of value dealers provide vs. the little profit made selling a new vehicle. Basically, manufacturers would just add our margin on top of theirs resulting in the customer paying the same as if the dealer was still involved, possibly more.
I'm definitely not disagreeing with the value of a dealership. Heck, if there was a perfect solution for everyone involved someone would have figured it out by now. Dare I say, but best solution is perfectly imperfect. That said, I really don't know the business of automotive sales.

My next cars either post-Bronco or in addition to-Bronco will be a smoother process that I have experienced in the past (not including Bronco because this process is still ongoing). Will I end up paying more than someone trying to get a rock-bottom price? Probably, but I'll be okay with that because my time valuable and everyone deserves to earn a decent living if they provide a quality product or service.

footsteps

First Edition
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee XJ, Defender 90
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Man, China can really hold the entire world hostage (so-to-speak). Countries not named China should probably start producing their own stuff.
Auto dealers cancelled there chip orders, Taiwan Semiconductor is primary source, lead time to make chips is more than 6 months, Taiwan is not China

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh it's the anti-science nut who thinks barely left of center (if at all) media = communism here to tell me how a single anecdote of their friend's dad is proof of a global conspiracy with the sick and twisted end goal of getting us to wear masks.
Anti science? That's rich! I provide you a link to a study and I'm anti science!
Did you click on the link and read the study?
There are tons of examples of people's deaths being coded covid when they had 2 or more co-morbidities and would have died within weeks if not less!
I never said media = communism...I said CNN = communism. And yes a covid death does equal more federal money to hospitals!
Yes, I do believe there is way more to this than just Covid!

footsteps

First Edition
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee XJ, Defender 90
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It’s hard to imagine just how complex of a problem this must be. From my understanding there isn’t just a “standard” chip that is in short supply, but custom chips of all types that need to be made to an exact specification. I do not envy those engineers and logistics people who are figuring this out it must be a complete nightmare.

Thank god there are people smarter than myself in this world LOL.
Yep, time needed to produce chips can be anywhere from 6 to 18 months

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

footsteps

First Edition
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee XJ, Defender 90
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I may be wrong, but I read a thing that these are Taiwanese sourced chips. China is in play here, as it wants to control Taiwan and that therefore brings the US military into play.

I guess what I'm getting at is this may have more implications than just car parts in the US.

And again, I may be wrong here....
You are correct! Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited

No question China is a big problem child, but not this specific situation

https://www.tsmc.com/english