First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My $0.02 is 2 points, first just because somebody alleges something doesn’t make it so. A group seeking financial compensation makes a claim that F deliberately sold engines they knew were broken. That’s a fairly bold statement, now let’s see what gets proven.
secondly, I’m not a gear head so I might be off on this one, but I generally only believe half of what I see and less of what I hear. “Motorbiscuit” might be the end all be all on all things cars, but I am not taking it at face value without corroboration.

#stillgettingaBronco
Sponsored

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It happens to a very small percentage.

My wife drives a 2017 Escape with the 2.0 and this is exactly what happened at about 40k miles. Coolant was getting into a cylinder. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire engine under warranty. Not just the block or other parts...but the entire engine and new components. So we basically got 40k free miles! ;)

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not a common thing when the manufacturer "knowingly" sells defective engines.
I'm not sure how long these engines have been in use or how long it takes to develop this issue, but I'd be concerned if they also knowingly sell another product that is defective.
But that is common, and it depends on what the defect is, how common they think it is and the cost to fix. When a manufacturer starts to learn that there is some defect with a part of the car, they investigate it and do various cost and safety analyses to determine the next course of action. Sometimes that action is to provide service bulletins to dealers, sometimes it is a lengthening of the warranty, sometimes it is a recall and many times it is to do nothing.

OP
OP
maxmxa

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The internal water pump or the integrated front cover (IFC) is one of those designs that makes build easier, but the owners and mechanics hate later on and will hate the engineers who designed it.

I sure hope the water pump lasts longer than average, but I used to be able to swap a water pump in less than an hour and it would normally cost me around $60 for the pump. Now it will probably cost well over a grand since they have to take the entire front of the engine off.

Gone are those simple days, so we'll see. Keep up on the maintenance intervals (more frequent than recommended).

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So a little deathwobble now and then and quart of oil per 1500 miles is starting to look not so bad ...

Sponsored

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 2013 fusion with ecoboost 120k miles. Not only does the head gasket leak, every gasket on the engine seeps oil and I must use high mileage oil with leakstop to keep it in check, on top of that this car has had at least 6 recalls. I have kept ford fusions as my sedan of choice for many years cause they were cheap, decent and reliable but the ecoboost in my 2013 has been terrible, sluggish below 2k rpm, just like many tiny boosted motors it's on or off, full power or bog, valve train has sounded terrible since day one(Klaka Klaka Klaka). Ecoboost has been my biggest worry with the new bronco but thought Ford may have had time to figure it out. They may have. Part of the problem I have is that I am interested in the unproven 2.3 and have these facts and doubts about the ecoboost line in the back of my mind. The Bronco looks awesome on paper but I am becoming disinfranchised and all of the year end sales events from competing manufacturer's to desperately get rid of inventory they found impossible to sell in 2020 are tempting but at the same time eye opening. Do I have the consumer confidence to waste $5-10k on taxes, delivery and dealer fees combined with depreciation by purchasing a new vehicle in wich I will pay higher insurance fees and personal property tax on for the next 4 years? I could provide a Xmas miracle to 10-20 struggling family's with that money, now I'm rambling.... Ford has given me plenty of time to think and plenty to think about.

OP
OP
maxmxa

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2013 fusion with ecoboost 120k miles. Not only does the head gasket leak, every gasket on the engine seeps oil and I must use high mileage oil with leakstop to keep it in check, on top of that this car has had at least 6 recalls. I have kept ford fusions as my sedan of choice for many years cause they were cheap, decent and reliable but the ecoboost in my 2013 has been terrible, sluggish below 2k rpm, just like many tiny boosted motors it's on or off, full power or bog, valve train has sounded terrible since day one(Klaka Klaka Klaka). Ecoboost has been my biggest worry with the new bronco but thought Ford may have had time to figure it out. They may have. Part of the problem I have is that I am interested in the unproven 2.3 and have these facts and doubts about the ecoboost line in the back of my mind. The Bronco looks awesome on paper but I am becoming disinfranchised and all of the year end sales events from competing manufacturer's to desperately get rid of inventory they found impossible to sell in 2020 are tempting but at the same time eye opening. Do I have the consumer confidence to waste $5-10k on taxes, delivery and dealer fees combined with depreciation by purchasing a new vehicle in wich I will pay higher insurance fees and personal property tax on for the next 4 years? I could provide a Xmas miracle to 10-20 struggling family's with that money, now I'm rambling.... Ford has given me plenty of time to think and plenty to think about.
This is exactly my dilemma. I don't really like either engine choice, but I would prefer the larger 2.7 displacement if I was to make a choice.
There are two main reasons I don't like either engine choice:

1- 2.3L is relatively small for this size truck and adding a turbo just puts more stress on the engine.

2- 2.7L has not one, but two turbos (higher maintenance and repair costs down the road)
Both have the IFC (front engine cover that combines water pump with the other passage ways on the engine). "damarble" mentioned here that if they were to replace their water pump on their 3.5L it would cost them $3 to $4000 to do so!! Making it a "total" based on depreciation and used value.

Either way, I'm worried about these engines and especially for a vehicle that I planned to keep as my last one for a long time. If you plan to lease, then you have no worries. Get it and have fun. Someone else down the road will take over the problems after you. ;)

OP
OP
maxmxa

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is class action lawsuit for everything. There should be one against forum members who complain too much.

:)
Regardless of any class action lawsuit.
This is a big ticket item for most of us. For some it's probably the last vehicle planned to purchase.

So, unless you have disposable income to blow then it makes sense to think about what the cost of ownership may be after 5 years. I read most people are just concerned about what colors, accessories or tires/wheels are offered, but to me durability plays the most important priority.

Like I said, if leasing is offered at a good rate, then no long term worries about longevity and durability of the engine. Just drive it and have fun.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was not joking when i said there is a class action suit against everything.

Search and you find a class action lawsuit against the 10-speed trans and I think there is one on the 3.5L engine cam-phaser.

Just keep your Toyota and be happy. BTW, I have owned a Landcuiser, Taco, Tundra and FJ and Toyota is BORING. They will never earn my business ever again.

This is Ford the last 10 years: Ford GT, Gen1 and Gen2 Raptor, RS, GT350 and GT350R, GT500 twice, Mach E, Bronco and the GEN3 Raptor is coming

What has Toyota done the last 10 years that was exciting? You may say Supra BUT BMW made the supra and BMW has already announced they will stop the Z4 production in 2025 so that means the Supra will go bye bye.

Save yourself the headache and keep your Toyota.

Regardless of any class action lawsuit.
This is a big ticket item for most of us. For some it's probably the last vehicle planned to purchase.

So, unless you have disposable income to blow then it makes sense to think about what the cost of ownership may be after 5 years. I read most people are just concerned about what colors, accessories or tires/wheels are offered, but to me durability plays the most important priority.

Like I said, if leasing is offered at a good rate, then no long term worries about longevity and durability of the engine. Just drive it and have fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maxmxa

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was not joking when i said there is a class action suit against everything.

Search and you find a class action lawsuit against the 10-speed trans and I think there is one on the 3.5L engine cam-phaser.

Just keep your Toyota and be happy. BTW, I have owned a Landcuiser, Taco, Tundra and FJ and Toyota is BORING. They will never earn my business ever again.

This is Ford the last 10 years: Ford GT, Gen1 and Gen2 Raptor, RS, GT350 and GT350R, GT500 twice, Mach E, Bronco and the GEN3 Raptor is coming

What has Toyota done the last 10 years that was exciting? You may say Supra BUT BMW made the supra and BMW has already announced they will stop the Z4 production in 2025 so that means the Supra will go bye bye.

Save yourself the headache and keep your Toyota.
I agree there. There is NO denying that Toyota is a slug when it comes to product design change and improvements.

My Toyota 4 Runner is a lease, but right now I'm in process of "selling" it instead of just returning it, because I got an offer that makes me roughly around $6K over what my residual value was.
So, I only have it for a few more days before it's picked up.

As much as I'm not excited about and it seems boring I may still get another 4 Runner (2021 model with some modest tech improvements) before they change it to something more complicated for 2022 model year.

I will have to wait and see, so it's not over yet. I still really like the Bronco and may hold off and lease one first. For now, I'm just enjoying my research and finding it fascinating how people base their decisions when it comes to vehicles.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Or, just buy a Hummer EV, I don’t think they will have the coolant leaking into cylinder problem.

OP
OP
maxmxa

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Or, just buy a Hummer EV, I don’t think they will have the coolant leaking into cylinder problem.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: yeah for twice the money
Sponsored