Sponsored

Ford Edge might be getting axed! Will it boost Bronco sales?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...dge-future-unifor-oakville-canada/3191943001/

Canada is starting their Union contract negotiations (4 year cycle). The Oakville plant is under question. There is currently no contract or product listed to be made after 2023. When the next generation Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus (and Ford Fusion Active) are expected to start.

Rumor is that the Bronco will take up the slack in the mid sized SUV/XUB market (same reason why Toyota cut the Venza in favor of the 4Runner). And the Nautilus will be made in China.

Ford has also stated that the Edge as of late has been kept alive by Fleet sales. A market they are trying to limit across the board due to low profit margins.

Now this is a MASSIVE rumor and we will see if Ford will close the Oakville pant. Which has been in operation since the Mid 50s

Also worth noting this is the last Canada assembly Plant Ford owns. They close the St Tomas plant in 2011. Ending the panther body.

Ford Edge sales have consistent since the 2nd generation began production in 2015. (USA sales)
2015 - 124,000
2016 - 134,000
2017 - 142,000
2018 - 134,000
2019 - 138,000
2020- 140,00 (est BEFORE COVID)

competition has ramped up in this segment recently too, In 2019 with the New Chevy Blazer and Honda Passport.

FCA also appears to be pulling out of the Midsized two Row crossover segment making the new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee a 3 row XUV like its Durango cousin.

Question is, will this boost Bronco sales???
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We looked at an Edge but the wife like the Exploder better.

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drive by the Oakville plant frequently so it would be sad to see it close, especially since I own a vehicle made there. Having said that, I think it's just become too expensive to manufacture cars in Canada. GM closed Oshawa for reasons and I fear Ford may follow suit.

Hopefully Ford is just floating this rumour out there so that when it does come down to contract negotiation time they can be like "Look, we have nothing planned here, take our lowest offer to keep the plant open or start sending out your resumes".

I also don't think people would be cross shopping an Edge and Bronco. I wonder if Ford is hoping that Escape and Bronco Sport sales will fill the void.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The new escape is probably close enough to the edge in size to make it unnecessary.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If by Bronco you mean Bronco Sport, then, yes, probably!

Sponsored
OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The new escape is probably close enough to the edge in size to make it unnecessary.
agreed. the new escape is MASSIVE vs the old escape.

New escape is 7” shorter and 5” shorter WB. Similar width and height.
Similar leg room too.

the new edge would have to be bigger.

The 4 door bronco will likely have nearly identical leg room storage and wheelbase to the Edge. Just a shorter length and taller.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Ford Edge might be getting axed! Will it boost Bronco sales? A55A626E-D409-4375-B1DE-CCDA3A855650

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drive by the Oakville plant frequently so it would be sad to see it close, especially since I own a vehicle made there. Having said that, I think it's just become too expensive to manufacture cars in Canada. GM closed Oshawa for reasons and I fear Ford may follow suit.

Hopefully Ford is just floating this rumour out there so that when it does come down to contract negotiation time they can be like "Look, we have nothing planned here, take our lowest offer to keep the plant open or start sending out your resumes".

I also don't think people would be cross shopping an Edge and Bronco. I wonder if Ford is hoping that Escape and Bronco Sport sales will fill the void.
mom hopping that ford is using it as a Barging tool. “Hey take a lower bid or were closing”

Other possibilities. Edge is dying and the “fusion active” will be the only thing made there. Very low production number tho. ~60-80,000 units

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

surprised the Edge is a low margin vehicle. I've always thought they were grossly overpriced

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
surprised the Edge is a low margin vehicle. I've always thought they were grossly overpriced
the edge itself is on par with the lineup.
Just a large chunk of sales are fleet sales. Typically lower trim, bulk orders. Those have lower margins.

but I would have thought with 130-140,000 units a year, there should be plenty of money to be made

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
agreed. the new escape is MASSIVE vs the old escape.

New escape is 7” shorter and 5” shorter WB. Similar width and height.
Similar leg room too.

the new edge would have to be bigger.

The 4 door bronco will likely have nearly identical leg room storage and wheelbase to the Edge. Just a shorter length and taller.
There have been rumors for quite a while the new Edge will be 3 row. I can't see them killing off the Edge and hoping Bronco will fill the gap. Seems like 2 customer bases. It would be even worse on the Lincoln side because that would leave nothing between Corsair and Aviator. That's a pretty big step.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bronco and Edge are not even in the same category. One is a civilized off-roader, the other is a less functional minivan.

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There have been rumors for quite a while the new Edge will be 3 row. I can't see them killing off the Edge and hoping Bronco will fill the gap. Seems like 2 customer bases. It would be even worse on the Lincoln side because that would leave nothing between Corsair and Aviator. That's a pretty big step.
In what world would it make sense to have the Edge with 3rd row and Explorer with 3rd row.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I hate the thought of more things being built in China. I do think Ford is oversaturating the suv market and competing with themselves. The "real" Bronco doesn't compete with anything within Fords current lineup. The bronco sport does.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
3 row is for China. They don’t have the explorer.
Sponsored