Sponsored

Ford engineers should just stop and ask why? It’s not hard.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sometimes I ask myself why? And after only 1200 miles here’s the list

Why the triangle at corner of the rear window? Is it to annoy the rear passenger resting their arm on the window sill.

Why have an analog and a digital speedo next to each other on the dash? DUMB

Why have ECO mode REALLY when your driving a brick? Give me Sport mode.

Why did they let the left handed intern design the steering wheel button placement. All the Fords I own the volume/source buttons are on the right. Menu buttons on the left. Not the Bronco.

Why does the auto AC at 69 degrees blow twice as hard as 70 degrees regardless of heat load.

Why does the auto AC decide from time to time to give you frost bite on your feet when the heat load is from the windows Why? Cold air sinks, Dah.

Why did Ford put a cabin air filter in? THE ROOF COMES OFF, Hello.

Why doesn't the owner manual tell you that if you unlock from remote and hold for three seconds the windows open? Page 78 owners manual

Why not allow the lock and hold remote feature close the windows?

Why does the dash panel auto dim but the Sync touchscreen stays bright?

Why when switching to a G.O.A.T mode then back to 2WD normal does the menu not revert back to My View, instead you have to toggle through the menu.

Why touching the brake pedal lightly doesn't deactivate the cruise like my F150 (brake lights) you actually have the apply some brake force to deactivate.

Why does adaptive cruise control continue if you open the door and lift your body weight off the seat and unbuckle the seat belt, shouldn't it shut off?

Why are the window switches mounted on the console, just because Jeep does? The 1st generation window cracks were on the door.

Why is it OK to have condensation inside the lens as long as it doesn't puddle or collect. Mine has fogging already and didn't even wash it yet. Page 95 owners manual

Why is the owners manual in the radio? What if I had a dead battery in the middle of an area with no cell service. "Hey Hun what fuse is the headlights? Let's check the Sync"

Why are phone notifications so loud? You can turn them off but not quite them.

Why does Ford think the fix for a poor windshield washer filler design is a tywrap to hold it in place. Mine was missing and filler neck fell off. Check yours out you have a clear or black tywrap?

Why didn't Ford put an engine cover over the motor? Your embarrassed to open the hood just looks like shit. Plastic intercooler piping.

Overall I’m happy with my Bronco I just need to stop asking why.
You had me at "unbuckle my seat belt and open the door while engaged in adaptive cruise control".
Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never had a manual trans or what? Right handed audio controls suck. You use the audio controls the most, and if you have a manual you probably drive left handed. So every time you want to change the music, you have to move your right hand from wherever it's resting, rather than clicking a button on the wheel with your left hand that's already there. Any LHD vehicle with a manual option should have the audio controls on the left. My last two Fords have had this backwards and it's one of the many things I miss about my VW.
Before steering wheel controls almost every LHD manual transmission car ever built had radio controls that were operated with the right hand. You don't have to hold onto the gearshift like it's your pecker. Radio controls on the left is awkward.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It sounds like many people must be messing with audio controls way more than I do.

I've owned many manual transmission vehicles, and regardless of whether or not you rest one hand on the wheel and one hand on the stick (many would argue that resting your hand on the stick is a bad idea for non-safety reasons) or not, it's literally nothing to move the hand momentarily to adjust the volume slightly. Or click another preset. It's not like you're typing out a manifesto or performing a professional audio calibration on-the-move...

I'm young though, and my memory/muscle memory must also be more elastic than many on here, because I'd have been fine with any of the discussed wheel control configurations. I got used to the one Ford selected and adjusted to the point of not needing to think about it within a week of ownership, and my brain never fought me to the point of causing internal (or worse, external and public) irritation on the matter...

This is my first Ford, so every control is in a slightly different location or works slightly differently than any previous vehicle I've owned (11 new vehicles in the last 6 years, never seen a single stalk for both lights and wipers), and I have had no issue adjusting to the point of operating the vehicle being second nature, just like with the user interfaces of every other vehicle I've owned. And guess what, I sometimes hop in my OTHER car by another make that has a wildly different UI/UX to traditional vehicles, and I successfully pilot the vehicle to my destination without any anxiety or pain.

I'm not arguing that striving for UI/UX improvement isn't a good thing, but I think it's worth noting that at some level, it's highly personal and any decision that is made will alienate some subset of the population that would have preferred a different configuration. If the research is done properly, they make the choice that disturbs the fewest, and so far I haven't heard anything that would convince me that they haven't done just that.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The speedometer is a weird one. I much prefer the digital, but I assume there are many people who want the dial.

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great! Did you take the Badlands badge off yourself and put that other badge on? I want that.
I did. It actually peeled off quite easily

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Reading things like that does not make me feel any better about the vehicle i really want. Everything in my brain tells me to stay away, not order for now or go for JLU.
I do appreciate everyone's review tho.
It made me want to buy one more just for spite. :)

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven’t read all 8 pages but 90% of these are just flat out dumb statements.
"Why is the owners manual in the radio? What if I had a dead battery in the middle of an area with no cell service. "Hey Hun what fuse is the headlights? Let's check the Sync"

You better download that manual and store it on your phone, (if applicable) your significant other's phone, backed up on a tablet and able to access at any time and when away from cell service. Where I travel, I'm off the beaten path and majority of times here in the mountains away from cell service. Don't find out the hard way!

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It sounds like many people must be messing with audio controls way more than I do.

I've owned many manual transmission vehicles, and regardless of whether or not you rest one hand on the wheel and one hand on the stick (many would argue that resting your hand on the stick is a bad idea for non-safety reasons) or not, it's literally nothing to move the hand momentarily to adjust the volume slightly. Or click another preset. It's not like you're typing out a manifesto or performing a professional audio calibration on-the-move...

I'm young though, and my memory/muscle memory must also be more elastic than many on here, because I'd have been fine with any of the discussed wheel control configurations. I got used to the one Ford selected and adjusted to the point of not needing to think about it within a week of ownership, and my brain never fought me to the point of causing internal (or worse, external and public) irritation on the matter...

This is my first Ford, so every control is in a slightly different location or works slightly differently than any previous vehicle I've owned (11 new vehicles in the last 6 years, never seen a single stalk for both lights and wipers), and I have had no issue adjusting to the point of operating the vehicle being second nature, just like with the user interfaces of every other vehicle I've owned. And guess what, I sometimes hop in my OTHER car by another make that has a wildly different UI/UX to traditional vehicles, and I successfully pilot the vehicle to my destination without any anxiety or pain.

I'm not arguing that striving for UI/UX improvement isn't a good thing, but I think it's worth noting that at some level, it's highly personal and any decision that is made will alienate some subset of the population that would have preferred a different configuration. If the research is done properly, they make the choice that disturbs the fewest, and so far I haven't heard anything that would convince me that they haven't done just that.
I'm constantly adjusting my volume and skipping songs, so it's rather annoying having to stop tex- I mean move my hand from the arm rest to do so. It's clearly not the end of the world as my last 2 dailys and my '76 are/were manual Fords, but that doesn't mean I didn't prefer the much better thought out controls in my VW.

Last edited:

LSTLAF

First Name
Glort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sphere shaped craft
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"Volume buttons are on the left."
I almost fell for this, until I jumped in my BMW and drove to work.

The cruise controls are on the left side of my BMW (M6 Gran Coupe Competition Edition) steering wheel, the phone and audio controls are on the right.

We also have to take into consideration that your theory is valid on the right hand drive models sold in Europe, only the volume controls are still on the right, but opposite the center console. We Westerners just get the same steering wheel mounted on the left side of the cabin.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can please some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time. But you can't please all the people all the time.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I disagree with this one. I think left hand controls for the dash and right hand controls for the radio should be the standard for all left hand drive cars. My last car was built primarily for the korean market, and you can tell the second you get in it's a RHD designed steering wheel put in a LHD car.
Actually, you have it backwards...
The volume on the right is from European right hand drives!
One wheel drives the world! lol
Sponsored