Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People need to either buy one or don't and quit complaining. We should all be happy Ford gave us a manual but a weird 7 speed with a crawler gear. It's cool and weird and I'm excited for it. I think people on the fence should do some research on the Ranger with the Ford Performance tune. That plus the manual will be a winning combo because of the numbers it will put out and should be available at some point after the Bronco is on sale.

There is another choice if you want a V6 with a manual in a box on wheels, get a Wrangler and they also have one with a bed, the Gladiator.

Power is power and we all want more. Looking at virtually every application of the 2.3 all we'll need to do is bolt on an aftermarket intercooler and we're an inch away from 2.7 numbers.

We all know sooner or later (SOONER) we'll see a coyote stuffed in there.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me, itā€™s the fact that the 2.7 was built to be a turbo engine from the ground up, and has dual injection. Versus the 2.3 starting as a N/A engine with a turbo slapped on, with only direct injection.

Sure, comparing to the 5.3 in my ā€˜03 Tahoe, the 2.3 makes comparable figures, so Iā€™d be fine with the 2.3ā€™s figures. But, Iā€™m still weary of having a FI engine in my primary vehicle, regardless of how good the reliability has become in the EcoBoosts. So, Iā€™ll take the one that was deliberately designed as an EB.

As for the main topic of this thread, Fordā€™s decision slightly confuses me still, despite them saying Wrangler MT take rate was a big influence. To me, you have contrary evidence that MT take rate can be quite high for enthusiast vehicles right in Fordā€™s own line; as others have said, Mustangs have ~25% MT take rate, which is pretty damn good. The people taking MTs in the Bronco donā€™t seem to be taking them because theyā€™re penny pinching and want the absolutely cheapest option, they seem to be MT enthusiasts. Plus, itā€™s not like Ford just slapped a run of the mill MT in for penny pinchers, they deliberately designed it with an enthusiast feature built in, the Crawl gear. So, it doesnā€™t quite add up to me why Ford wouldnā€™t just offer the MT with even just the larger 2.7 if theyā€™re only going to offer it with one engine, because these MT enthusiasts would likely pony up for the bigger engine just to get their MT.

Personally, Iā€™d love for there to be a 2.7 MT option, and would definitely buy it in a heartbeat if they change course. But since Iā€™m not a diehard MT enthusiast, and I value the 2.7 more than the MT, 2.7 wins and AT it is for me.
I guess i still just dont get it...was designed as a turbo engine? Why then does it have 2? Why is it a v6? Why does it not have double the hp of a poorly executed 4cyl w/a turbo as an afterthought? If it has twice as many injectors it should have double the hp. 40 hp is HIGHLY DISSAPOINTING!

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Power is power and we all want more. Looking at virtually every application of the 2.3 all we'll need to do is bolt on an aftermarket intercooler and we're an inch away from 2.7 numbers.

We all know sooner or later (SOONER) we'll see a coyote stuffed in there.
I'm going to look onto the Ford performance tune from the Ranger for the Bronco down the line. I will always want more power and even with a smaller engine there's still more power to get.

Apparently there's a company already committed to a coyote swap. If I had the money I'd probably consider it because why not, who wouldn't love a coyote in the Bronco?

Article: https://www.motor1.com/news/434592/ford-bronco-supercharged-v8-upgrade/

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The good news is that the reason given is NOT an engineering problem with pairing the 2.7 with the Manual but rather a marketing decision.

Importantly they do not rule out a 2.7 with manual in the future.
My understanding is that there is an engineering component to this. (This is just based on what I have read elsewhere.)
Ford already has a solution that can be easily applied to adding the MT to Sasquatch with the 2.3, but they do not have a similar solution for mating a manual with the 2.7. It's certainly not outside their capabilities to develop, but that effort would cost time and money.
So I would say it is less of a marketing decision and more of a bottom line or cost/benefit decision. The anticipated benefit to sales from a 2.7 manual do not justify the cost and time to develop.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think maybe you gotta look at the big picture. I started out my theoretical bronco build w/a simple philosophy...minimum weight, maximum meat. 2.3/mt still fits the bill for me, especially in a 2dr.

Yeah, before any of the specs came out, my hope was a base model with MT that I could customize to fit my needs. Then, certain things like the upgraded front axle and gears seemed unobtainable unless I spent a lot of money to get the Badlands. Then, Ford said wait a minute, we will give you the upgraded stuff with the manual, even on the base model I am more than happy. To get the mansquatch hits every single thing I wanted in the BD trim. HP doesn't impress me, unless we are talking muscle cars, and I mean real muscle cars.

Depending on the take rate of the manual in the Bronco, it could open up the manual for other Ford vehicles as well. We have an opportunity to say the manual is not dead. That will only happen though if people actually buy the manual, instead of just signing a petition. Money speaks louder than words. I get that a lot of people talk a good game, but were never committing to a manual. Ford understands that as well.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, before any of the specs came out, my hope was a base model with MT that I could customize to fit my needs. Then, certain things like the upgraded front axle and gears seemed unobtainable unless I spent a lot of money to get the Badlands. Then, Ford said wait a minute, we will give you the upgraded stuff with the manual, even on the base model I am more than happy. To get the mansquatch hits every single thing I wanted in the BD trim. HP doesn't impress me, unless we are talking muscle cars, and I mean real muscle cars.

Depending on the take rate of the manual in the Bronco, it could open up the manual for other Ford vehicles as well. We have an opportunity to say the manual is not dead. That will only happen though if people actually buy the manual, instead of just signing a petition. Money speaks louder than words. I get that a lot of people talk a good game, but were never committing to a manual. Ford understands that as well.
Couldnt have said it better right on?

FTFRS

I never said the 2.3 was a bad engine, just that I like the things Iā€™ve read about the 2.7 and the architecture, as they make me feel more assured about it as an overall package.

I know people are saying a quick tune and the 2.3 will be pushing what the 2.7 does stock. Which is commendable, but Iā€™d rather have the 2.7 doing it stock than spending money on a tune for the 2.3 and ending up with comparable power but an engine thatā€™s higher stressed. And if the tune is no big deal stress-wise on the engine, then I could do similar on the 2.7 and have an even higher ceiling.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People could make the argument that the petition for the mansquatch and the voicing of their complaints on why the mansquatch wasn't an option, made Ford consider changing it and making it available.

However, we can only be the ones to save it and it's by buying them. Maybe if Ford see enough of us through our money at them for exchange for a Bronco with a manual in it, they will see a reason to develop another manual for another engine. But we won't know that unless we see a higher than usual manual purchases.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People could make the argument that the petition for the mansquatch and the voicing of their complaints on why the mansquatch wasn't an option, made Ford consider changing it and making it available.

However, we can only be the ones to save it and it's by buying them. Maybe if Ford see enough of us through our money at them for exchange for a Bronco with a manual in it, they will see a reason to develop another manual for another engine. But we won't know that unless we see a higher than usual manual purchases.
I agree. I will vote with my order and my money. I am only on board because I can get a manual. It's not a whim or a "cool" choice for me. It's my only choice. There are not a lot of options out there, but there are a few, and I am only looking at manual options period. My displeasure with the Gladiator is what brought me to the Bronco. If it was auto only, I'd probably be buying a new Tacoma.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The people taking MTs in the Bronco donā€™t seem to be taking them because theyā€™re penny pinching and want the absolutely cheapest option, they seem to be MT enthusiasts. Plus, itā€™s not like Ford just slapped a run of the mill MT in for penny pinchers, they deliberately designed it with an enthusiast feature built in, the Crawl gear. So, it doesnā€™t quite add up to me why Ford wouldnā€™t just offer the MT with even just the larger 2.7 if theyā€™re only going to offer it with one engine, because these MT enthusiasts would likely pony up for the bigger engine just to get their MT.
it's pretty clear from the MT specs sheet that it already was designed to easily go to higher torque specs. i wouldn't surprised if the transmission bell with correct bolt pattern for the 2.7L has already been designed.

just waiting for the bean counters to catch up

Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree. I will vote with my order and my money. I am only on board because I can get a manual. It's not a whim or a "cool" choice for me. It's my only choice. There are not a lot of options out there, but there are a few, and I am only looking at manual options period. My displeasure with the Gladiator is what brought me to the Bronco. If it was auto only, I'd probably be buying a new Tacoma.
I'm new to the manual game here but I'm glad to see you and others on here that are manual only. With the amount of manuals on the market are shrinking annually from all manufacturers, I want to be apart of trying to keep manuals around.

Maybe a spicy after thought maybe Ford will add the manual to the next gen Ranger. ? If not the Ranger many the rumored Bronco pick up truck will get the 2.3L + manual.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it's pretty clear from the MT specs sheet that it already was designed to easily go to higher torque specs. i wouldn't surprised if the transmission bell with correct bolt pattern for the 2.7L has already been designed.

just waiting for the bean counters to catch up
Conspiracy theory here, maybe that's something Ford will offer a few years from now, when they need to breathe new interest to the Bronco. Ford wouldn't want to give us everything they have all at once, plus it gives them more time to test it. If they do plan on doing something like that down the line.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford already has a solution that can be easily applied to adding the MT to Sasquatch with the 2.3, but they do not have a similar solution for mating a manual with the 2.7. It's certainly not outside their capabilities to develop, but that effort would cost time and money.
I agree, mating the 2.7 with the manual is not such a confounding problem that Fordā€™s engineering prowess cannot solve it.

As you said the solution will cost time and money. Time, Ford will find between now and 2-3 years from now.

As far as the cost/return on investment is concerned, this is the USA, here most people believe more is in fact more and given the option I am willing to bet a silver dollar that at least half if not the majority would pick the 2.7 without bothering to figure out the details of whether it is necessary.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm new to the manual game here but I'm glad to see you and others on here that are manual only. With the amount of manuals on the market are shrinking annually from all manufacturers, I want to be apart of trying to keep manuals around.

Maybe a spicy after thought maybe Ford will add the manual to the next gen Ranger. ? If not the Ranger many the rumored Bronco pick up truck will get the 2.3L + manual.

Glad to hear you are new to and open to getting the manual. We need more people new to manuals willing to experience them, because that's what it is, an experience. My daughter told me yesterday they were looking to get a manual sports car. Made me feel like I raised her right.

I hope you really enjoy the manual. For me personally, driving an auto is monotonous. The manual adds to it in a way that's hard to describe, but seems to make the drive worth doing. I'm just not interested in an auto and probably will never own one unless health concerns require it.
Sponsored