Sponsored

Dest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's the generic half-assed excuse that since they don't offer manuals, the take rate is lower, so they won't offer manuals in the future.
Sponsored

Bronco Eagle

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2003 F-350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Base
Summary:

“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,”

Here’s Why The 2021 Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost V6 Won’t Be Paired With A Manual Transmission

September 23, 2020 by Ford Authority

When the 2021 Ford Bronco was revealed to the world just a couple of months ago, people really only had three complaints about it. Firstly, they weren’t happy that Ford wasn’t planning on offering it with a V8, nor the fact that they couldn’t get FoMoCo’s new seven-speed manual transmission with the Sasquatch Package. Lastly, buyers seeking to pair the manual transmission with the more powerful Ford 2.7L EcoBoost V6 were out of luck, as it’s only available with the Blue Oval’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4.

Ford has since corrected one of those “oversights,” as it just announced today that it would indeed offer the new Bronco with both the Sasquatch Package and manual transmission. However, it doesn’t look like Ford is going to change course and offer its new manual gearbox with the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 – at least for now. Recently, we had the chance to speak with Bronco Chief Engineer Eric Loeffler, who explained why FoMoCo chose not to go this route.

“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,” Loeffler explained to Ford Authority executive editor, Alex Luft. “So what we wanted to do is to provide it to the traditional user that wants the manual transmission and wants to do things that are very technical that are afforded by the manual.”

“The beauty of the product is that it still allows those who want to do it the old-fashioned way to do it, and also someone who’s a novice to let them try the technologies that we offer, you can do either in any one of our products,” Loeffler continued. “The manual in the 2.3 was paired up with what someone would want to do in the rock-crawling world, and that creeper gear is fantastic, so it’s well-tailored to that engine and that particular application.”

That means for now, Ford Bronco buyers who want a manual transmission will be stuck with one choice – Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4, which is projected to produce 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, though The Blue Oval’s 10-speed automatic transmission is also available with the four-cylinder. Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost V6 is projected to have an output of 310 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque in the new Bronco, but is only available with the 10-speed automatic gearbox for now.

However, Loeffler also admitted that Ford has not completely shut the door on the idea of offering Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost V6 models with the seven-speed manual transmission at some point in the future. “Well, never say never…it’s something we usually don’t really talk about – what we will do in the future,” Loeffler said. “But we’re a company that sells products, so if customers start asking for it, we’ll end up having to consider it.”

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 6.29.37 AM.jpg
Well, I want what I want. I already have 2 Classic Broncos, a V-8 and straight 6.
I will wait for what I want. I’ve been driving the Classic for 45 years. I’m not an expert but, I won’t have a 4 banger with a manual transmission. It’s V6, or V8 with manual or bust.
Can you just imagine being pulled out of tight spot by a Jeep????????

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, I want what I want. I already have 2 Classic Broncos, a V-8 and straight 6.
I will wait for what I want. I’ve been driving the Classic for 45 years. I’m not an expert but, I won’t have a 4 banger with a manual transmission. It’s V6, or V8 with manual or bust.
Can you just imagine being pulled out of tight spot by a Jeep????????
I respect your opinion but what if the modern l-4 has more HP and torque than the old V8??

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why not just pay someone to shoehorn in a 5.0L? If I was independently wealthy, that is what I would do.
Because I'm rich and chaining 1000 broncos together so I can shift between 7000 gears at once and that would rival anything the ancients built!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But for real I'm going with manual, i dont care what engine they are both tiny yet powerful. Automatics are hell and wheeling with one is hell. I just built 2 mowkarts for my nieces and nephew, I can fit on both of em but I wont drive one of em because it aint a stick. If they make a bigger engine or hp electric available with a manual I may trade in, but any serious wheeling with an automatic to me just feels to risky and boring at the same time.

Sponsored

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"Still, Jeep says that fewer than 5 percent of new Wranglers leave its Toledo, Ohio, assembly plant bound for U.S. showrooms with the manual transmission."

Really easy market research for them....although I think they will have a higher percentage of manuals, and would have had a lot higher rate if it was offered with the 2.7.
Go back check your math on that one, what makes you think the bronco is special enough that more people will buy the manual. Their is a reason it's dying

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why not just pay someone to shoehorn in a 5.0L? If I was independently wealthy, that is what I would do.
Same. Already about to install the Y-pipe on my truck soon since the Exhaust is too quiet when I'm walking across the parking

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going manual and plan on adding the performance tune from Ford to my order. It's a tune that is available on the Ranger 2.3L Ecoboost. I'll have to run premium fuel, but it adds 45hp and 60 lb-ft of torque. I'd prefer to have it done by Ford so there are no warranty issues. But if they won't do it, I'll find someone locally that will.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK. My thoughts are that the 2.3L has more than enough HP & Q to get it done, but the direct inject valves get dirty and did not start life as a boosted engine. The 2.7L has Port injectors that help keep valves cleaner longer. I also have always believed needing 70% of a bigger engines power makes it last longer than using 85-90% of a lesser engine. Without using wiz-bang techie stuff I can slide the rear around a corner rather than drag a wheel. Power, gearing and being in control are a lot more fun than having the Tech do all the thinking for you and isn't having fun and beating the challenge what off-roading is about?

I don't want an automatic or the 2.3L for My reasons!
Either way it's still a coin toss decision at this point!
If I take 2.3L+Manual, Tuning the engine, I'm sure to need engine work sooner than later...
If I take 2.7L+Auto, Tuning shift points, I'm sure to be in the same boat with Trans...

All the above being My truths and worries... I can also understand Cali's CARB rules helped make the sky in LA blue again and that is a big deal. If your not old enough to remember the 70's ask someone who is.

The rules of CARB are what drive all the testing and costs that an Auto-manufacturer must go through to put out different configurations and the expense/sales ratio being low does not keep any Auto-manufacturer in business.
Be happy we are still aloud a choice... both High HP and off-roading could be illegal! That would be much worse than still waiting on B&P and reading my whining about not having "My Bronco, My Way"!

PLEASE beat Me up, tell Me where I'm right or wrong. I need the help. BL decision was easy the engine / trans is killing me! Such a 1st world problem!
I feel the same way as you! I would say as others have said before is get the manual trans now. Let’s say a year down the line you decide you should have went with the 2.7L... ok trade it in later on and get a 2.7L.
lets look at the other way around. You buy the 2.7L and drive it for a year or so. Now you are getting bored because the vehicle thinks and speaks for you and you want to be in control! Plus waiting for the auto trans to recognize what you want to do is driving you insane! That 1 second delay in what gear it wanted to choose just nearly cost you your life as you were trying to merge on a highway. Ok last straw was broke and you are now on your way to Granger Ford to get rid of this dang Auto trans. As you pull into the lot, happy as a fly on cow shit, you are greeted by Albert. You explain your huge issue with wanting to burn the auto trans to the ground and are in desperate need of a manual transmission to be happy in life again. At this moment Albert grabs your shoulder, lowers his head in sadness and tells you that MY23 Broncos no longer are available in Manual Transmission. You yell out in sorrow and pain and curse the fact that you should have gotten a manual in the first place since they no longer offer a new Manual trans and all the used ones are over $100k since they only sold 1000 of them the first year.

so long story short... get a manual?

Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I feel the same way as you! I would say as others have said before is get the manual trans now. Let’s say a year down the line you decide you should have went with the 2.7L... ok trade it in later on and get a 2.7L.
lets look at the other way around. You buy the 2.7L and drive it for a year or so. Now you are getting bored because the vehicle thinks and speaks for you and you want to be in control! Plus waiting for the auto trans to recognize what you want to do is driving you insane! That 1 second delay in what gear it wanted to choose just nearly cost you your life as you were trying to merge on a highway. Ok last straw was broke and you are now on your way to Granger Ford to get rid of this dang Auto trans. As you pull into the lot, happy as a fly on cow shit, you are greeted by Albert. You explain your huge issue with wanting to burn the auto trans to the ground and are in desperate need of a manual transmission to be happy in life again. At this moment Albert grabs your shoulder, lowers his head in sadness and tells you that MY23 Broncos no longer are available in Manual Transmission. You yell out in sorrow and pain and curse the fact that you should have gotten a manual in the first place since they no longer offer a new Manual trans and all the used ones are over $100k since they only sold 1000 of them the first year.

I'll sell mine discounted for forum members. $95,000.

Yes if a manual is what you want I would order it now. It will probably have a lower take rate than Jeeps and it will be an easy cost cutting measure for Ford.

-=[P@]=-

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger 4.0L, '18 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

That makes so much sense! Wish I had seen the obvious possibility of no manual in following years, since it's gone from so many makes already.

Now how do I tune out turbo lag... oh yah... keep it floored!

Last edited:

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which is a big part of the reason I purchased a manual tranny 2019 Corvette Z06 last year -- before they became extinct when the new DCT-only mid-engine car arrived this year.

But in our Badlands, the 10 sp. auto is a better choice for us.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which is a big part of the reason I purchased a manual tranny 2019 Corvette Z06 last year -- before they became extinct when the new DCT-only mid-engine car arrived this year.
I 100% would have bought a C8 Vette if they made a manual. But my last two cars haven’t had a transmission at all and I’m looking forward to rowing gears again?
Sponsored