Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think Ford is fully expecting there's going to be a substantial uptick in manual take rates because the 2021 Bronco is basically made-to-order only. The dealer orders will tell the real story...and thus the self-fulfilling prophecy will continue.
Except the dealers don’t tell the real story, they order grey automatics because everyone will settle for that if it is the only thing left on the lot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here’s where I have heartburn with the “take rate” argument:

No one seems to want to admit that the Bronco pricing is completely arbitrary and solely based on what people are willing to pay - not what it costs to offer. Let me explain.

The lowest cost Bronco combines two automotive anomalies in one vehicle. It’s a two door SUV and it has a manual. Based on Jeep‘s “take rates” these are the two rarest options selected. Fully 95% of all Jeep buyers get a four door SUV. Also, fully 95% of all Jeep buyers buy an automatic trans.

Using the “take rate” logic this SHOULD make a two door manual Bronco insanely expensive because they have to do all of that massive investment for the tiny minority that will buy it. The ROI has to be horrible. But, is it expensive? Nah, it’s the cheapest Bronco. Why is that? Because Ford perceives the manual as being low rent and doesn’t belong with high trim options. And that’s all there is to it.

So all this ‘logic’ and ‘numbers’ and whatevers is nonsense. Ford didn’t want to pair the 2.7L with a manual because they don’t perceive it to have any cache. Manuals are for ppl that sit in the cheap seats only according to them. Ugh. Drives me nuts.
I feel your frustration.
Let us remember that this is the first year for the reincarnated Bronco and Ford is trying to please as many of us as they can. It’s a hopeless task!?

There will be other options and derivatives and pairings of the drivetrain in the coming years and I am certain no one would doubt that.

That Ford has succeeded in bringing out the enthusiast in us is a credit to them. ?

Now they just have to deal with the enthusiasm!?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Automatics certainly have their upsides. Why are virtually all military vehicles autos?? Shifting and shooting gets complicated.
because one can no longer assume that your basic recruit has ever been exposed to a manual transmission (unless they grew up on a farm with the old john deere tractor)

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This.

If even a small percentage of the people that cried on the internet about manuals dying put their money where their mouths are, I don't suspect manuals would be dying at this rate.
There's probably more active people on here that are complaining about the manual and saying they're getting the 2.7L instead compared to the people excitably talking about getting a manual.

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree it's the same reason Ford only gave the 2.3L as the only option for the Ranger. It's the cache of being the only 4 banger in the segment and out preforming the class with it.

They knew they were going to need some street cred putting it in the Bronco. Did the Ranger have multiple independent forums hyped on its return? I'm late to the Ranger game, but at this point I'd say Ford missed an opportunity to topple the Tacoma.

They could've had a major foothold on the entire off roading segment.... Look at virtually every youtube vid of any trail in America. If its not a Jeep or a Toyota, its a 30 or 40 year old Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Huge miss in my book.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We did some research on this a few years back. I think it less than 15% of all vehicles produced globally in 2015 were manuals.

Sad reality is that it is totally a niche market these days with populations becoming increasingly sedentary, and lazy. People want push button, on demand, disposable, minimal effort returns. Which I think is why we love to rib the auto drivers of the world.

Automatics certainly have their upsides. Why are virtually all military vehicles autos?? Shifting and shooting gets complicated.
Are you sure only 15%? I spent a good portion of my life across 5 continents and the majority of vehicles I drove were manuals. I am still outside the country at least every year.

You are 100% right about people being sedentary and lazy.

Back on topic, I am happy for the 2.3 crowd and Ford knows there were just as many 2.7 people that asked for the stick too.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I feel your frustration.
Let us remember that this is the first year for the reincarnated Bronco and Ford is trying to please as many of us as they can. It’s a hopeless task!?

There will be other options and derivatives and pairings of the drivetrain in the coming years and I am certain no one would doubt that.

That Ford has succeeded in bringing out the enthusiast in us is a credit to them. ?

Now they just have to deal with the enthusiasm!?
Oh you’re absolutely right, I’m as geeked as a 4yo who won a years worth of free candy and thankful I can get a Bronco with a manual at all.

It is nice to vent once in a while and call a spade a spade. ?

Ford Bronco Ford explains why no manual with 2.7L Bronco 5642E43B-E169-4B4D-B2E8-6C2B53490586

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People need to be apart of the manual movement by buying a manual. You can't complain about there being no manuals, when one is offered on the vehicle and you don't get it. Ford and the rest of the auto manufactures are trying to make money. If they don't think it will sell they won't keep it around.

No shame to the auto or 2.7L people, I wanted the 2.7L but since the manual isn't an option for it I'm not getting it. Enough people buy it in the F150 so I know it won't go anywhere. But the manual could stay or go within a few years depending on take rates.
I had a Focus ST and traded it for a Veloster N so I'm on the manual train for a sportscar/hot hatch. I'm in the automatic camp for a truck/SUV for rock crawling. Much easier to work 2 pedals on the rocks than 3. My buddies made fun of me for putting a C4 in my EB until they saw how much easier it was.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree the 2.3l is probably sufficient, but I don't think I could ever hear myself saying "Dang this 2.7l V6 has way too much power".
Hey man, I’m trying to help the guys who can’t get a manual With a 2.7... shhhh.
But seriously I can’t imagine a 2.7 in a 2 door bronco on the street... it’s gotta be quick

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Except the dealers don’t tell the real story, they order grey automatics because everyone will settle for that if it is the only thing left on the lot.
You're absolutely right, also just because a few dealers would sell a health amount of Focus' doesn't mean in the rest of the country they were selling well. Most cars are dealer orders and not build order.

Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a Focus ST and traded it for a Veloster N so I'm on the manual train for a sportscar/hot hatch. I'm in the automatic camp for a truck/SUV for rock crawling. Much easier to work 2 pedals on the rocks than 3. My buddies made fun of me for putting a C4 in my EB until they saw how much easier it was.
I understand that logic but I rather see people have the choice on rowing their gears or not, even if it's not a sports car.

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmm, I'm not sure most people are settling. The majority of people won't choose a manual because they don't know how to drive one or they don't want the hassle. A good chunk of these Broncos will never leave the pavement, so a manual is just an inconvenience. The dealer is just selling what will appeal to the majority.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They knew they were going to need some street cred putting it in the Bronco. Did the Ranger have multiple independent forums hyped on its return? I'm late to the Ranger game, but at this point I'd say Ford missed an opportunity to topple the Tacoma.

They could've had a major foothold on the entire off roading segment.... Look at virtually every youtube vid of any trail in America. If its not a Jeep or a Toyota, its a 30 or 40 year old Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Huge miss in my book.
Yes they missed that opportunity to take out the Tacoma, that basically rose to the top because the Ranger left. I'm not sure if there was a forum for the Ranger before it's comeback to the states.

But now that the Bronco has the 2.7L and shares a similar platform with the Ranger, they have no reason to not offer it in the Ranger. Maybe it will be used in the Ranger Raptor that's rumored to be happening.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand that logic but I rather see people have the choice on rowing their gears or not, even if it's not a sports car.
Same. I just chose the 2.7 and auto cause I'm gonna buy a cheap fun car to go with my Bronco so I can still autox and do track days.
Sponsored