First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There were two vehicles of which I am aware that offered a choice of manual or automatic across all engines and all trims in recent years. The above mentioned Corvette and the WRX. The take rate for Corvettes had declined from about a third to a quarter since 2015 and the WRX had manuals (I could not find published reports and am relying on memory) in about 85% (excluding STi numbers, as it was manual only), so I am in the self-fulfilling camp. People will flock to the manual if given a legitimate and equal choice on similar trims and engines.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

for a company that sells the mustang i simply dont believe this

imagine not wanting a 4wd mustang off road car that could be tuned to 400hp with a stick

People should keep begging and i bet the next run of broncos will have manual
Only about 25% of Mustangs are manuals and that's because the demographics that buy them are usually older guys who still want a manual. The amount purchased keeps going down each decade. The demand for manual's in trucks and 4x4's died out in the 90's.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,”

Makes sense to me. With the objective to sell cars, why make something that will not sell.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I respect your decision. You have the money to buy whatever drives "right" to you.

But let's be clear for the peeps here, the mid engine C8 outperforms just about everything on the planet by an amazing amount.
Everything in it's price class is crushed.
A key part of that performance is the paddle shifted Auto transmission.
Chevy looked at the sales #s and got a homerun with the no MT C8.

* I know you didn't argue this, just saying* Ford really wasn't being dumb for not even starting work on a 2.7L capable 7M.
C8 is an impressive car and tough to beat for the money, but far from “outperforming everything on the planet”. There are many flagship sports cars now auto only, C8, GT500, GTR, etc but those aren’t the auto that’s going into the Bronco. If we got a proper Performance paddle shift auto, It would make the auto much more attractive.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think you just restated my pointWe don’t know the real take rate on manual transmissions because:
The dealer is just selling what will appeal to the majority.
Every complaining about no unique colors / no green, has the same problem: gray, black and white appeals to the majority...

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Summary:

“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,”

Here’s Why The 2021 Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost V6 Won’t Be Paired With A Manual Transmission

September 23, 2020 by Ford Authority

When the 2021 Ford Bronco was revealed to the world just a couple of months ago, people really only had three complaints about it. Firstly, they weren’t happy that Ford wasn’t planning on offering it with a V8, nor the fact that they couldn’t get FoMoCo’s new seven-speed manual transmission with the Sasquatch Package. Lastly, buyers seeking to pair the manual transmission with the more powerful Ford 2.7L EcoBoost V6 were out of luck, as it’s only available with the Blue Oval’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4.

Ford has since corrected one of those “oversights,” as it just announced today that it would indeed offer the new Bronco with both the Sasquatch Package and manual transmission. However, it doesn’t look like Ford is going to change course and offer its new manual gearbox with the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 – at least for now. Recently, we had the chance to speak with Bronco Chief Engineer Eric Loeffler, who explained why FoMoCo chose not to go this route.

“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,” Loeffler explained to Ford Authority executive editor, Alex Luft. “So what we wanted to do is to provide it to the traditional user that wants the manual transmission and wants to do things that are very technical that are afforded by the manual.”

“The beauty of the product is that it still allows those who want to do it the old-fashioned way to do it, and also someone who’s a novice to let them try the technologies that we offer, you can do either in any one of our products,” Loeffler continued. “The manual in the 2.3 was paired up with what someone would want to do in the rock-crawling world, and that creeper gear is fantastic, so it’s well-tailored to that engine and that particular application.”

That means for now, Ford Bronco buyers who want a manual transmission will be stuck with one choice – Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4, which is projected to produce 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, though The Blue Oval’s 10-speed automatic transmission is also available with the four-cylinder. Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost V6 is projected to have an output of 310 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque in the new Bronco, but is only available with the 10-speed automatic gearbox for now.

However, Loeffler also admitted that Ford has not completely shut the door on the idea of offering Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost V6 models with the seven-speed manual transmission at some point in the future. “Well, never say never…it’s something we usually don’t really talk about – what we will do in the future,” Loeffler said. “But we’re a company that sells products, so if customers start asking for it, we’ll end up having to consider it.”
Eric Loeffler does not understand the reason for a manual. These kids just don't get it. It has nothing to do with being OLD FASHIONED. It has to do with being able to control the vehicle much better with a manual. **Sigh***

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you just restated my pointWe don’t know the real take rate on manual transmissions because:

Every complaining about no unique colors / no green, has the same problem: gray, black and white appeals to the majority...
It's a vicious cycle, I know. But I think colors coming in and out of fashion is a little different. The transmission is a major drive-line piece and is heavily affected by technology. People will want the latest technology with their purchase, so you're less likely to see a manual come back in vogue. Ford's argument is that they can do so many more party tricks with the automatic...they don't want to be hampered by the manual. People are impressed with those software tricks and will want them in their expensive vehicles.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is a problem the aftermarket could fix if not some garage mechanic. Depends on how badly someone wants the 2.7L with the manual.
Forget the 2.7L, just stick a 5.0L in it. With a manual of course.

Let's see the take rate for a MANUAL ONLY 5.0.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's a vicious cycle, I know. But I think colors coming in and out of fashion is a little different. The transmission is a major drive-line piece and is heavily affected by technology. People will want the latest technology with their purchase, so you're less likely to see a manual come back in vogue. Ford's argument is that they can do so many more party tricks with the automatic...they don't want to be hampered by the manual. People are impressed with those software tricks and will want them in their expensive vehicles.
OK, but this isn't a Lincoln or a Lexus. And hopefully it isn't a Land Rover either.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I admit that manuals are going to go away, possibly replaced by dual clutched paddle shifting, but more likely completely as we move more and more to ev / hybrid.

I guess I am one of those odd people who like to do technical things. There are more who would get a manual if it were available with a 2.7 or on the lot without a wait.

That said - I completely understand why dealers order less risky inventory. This is why I end up ordering more often than not.

Last edited:

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OK, but this isn't a Lincoln or a Lexus. And hopefully it isn't a Land Rover either.
No, but the goal isn't to cater to enthusiasts, it's to sell a product to the most people. It's a lifestyle brand. Ford wants to make a Sport for your wife, a Bronco Sasquatch for you, and hats and t shirts for your kids. They want as many of these things on the street as possible and at the lake on the weekends. They don't care if an enthusiast has his every dream combo....they want things that will fly off the lots as soon as they get unloaded off the truck. Most of these people aren't going to say, "hold up, I can't get a stick with the 2.7L Badlands Lux package?" They don't care, they're living the Bronco life now.

Remember, this is an enthusiast forum; so it's not always representative of the market.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual sales are just low even for sports cars but some do better than others. And I don't what could bring a resurgence back to manuals. I'd hate to see Ford get rid of the manual in a few years or when ever there's a mid cycle refresh.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want a MT, but I will not buy any engine that it Direct Injected Only.
No, but the goal isn't to cater to enthusiasts, it's to sell a product to the most people. It's a lifestyle brand. Ford wants to make a Sport for your wife, a Bronco Sasquatch for you, and hats and t shirts for your kids. They want as many of these things on the street as possible and at the lake on the weekends. They don't care if an enthusiast has his every dream combo....they want things that will fly off the lots as soon as they get unloaded off the truck. Most of these people aren't going to say, "hold up, I can't get a stick with the 2.7L Badlands Lux package?" They don't care, they're living the Bronco life now.

Remember, this is an enthusiast forum; so it's not always representative of the market.
But it's the Enthusiasts that Make The Image that the Non-Enthusiasts want to Emulate.... smh...

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I want a MT, but I will not buy any engine that it Direct Injected Only.

But it's the Enthusiasts that Make The Image that the Non-Enthusiasts want to Emulate.... smh...
Right, and there's plenty for the enthusiast. You have a stick with a crawler gear available in all the packages, even in Sasquatch.

And don't forget the power of marketing in creating an image. ;)
Sponsored