First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They want as many of these things on the street as possible and at the lake on the weekends. They don't care if an enthusiast has his every dream combo....they want things that will fly off the lots as soon as they get unloaded off the truck. Most of these people aren't going to say, "hold up, I can't get a stick with the 2.7L Badlands Lux package?" They don't care, they're living the Bronco life now.
We should be happy they even gave us a manual. Ford doesn't follow what their competition does, which can be a good thing or bad depending on your point of view. the 2.7L will sell just fine with the auto, and same for the 2.3L with the auto. The manual is just a hard sell because most people will say they want one but when push comes to shove, they're rolling off the lot with an auto gear box. Ford will only keep a feature like a manual around or spend more R&D to develop a new one, if people buy it or to keep up with the demand.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But it's the Enthusiasts that Make The Image that the Non-Enthusiasts want to Emulate.... smh...
This is very true but since they are only after living the image they don’t have to live the reality and can do with an automatic. The non enthusiast will not be rock crawling and most will likely never see any off-road action.

The true enthusiasts however do create the necessary image and to that end I feel Ford has done remarkably well even for this introductory year of the reincarnation of the Bronco.?

Lerico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 2004 Silverado 1500 1989 nissan d21 1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This forum did a survey of 2.3 vs 2.7 nearly 80 percent preferred the 2.7 and that was with existing options. If engine choices were offered independent of packages i suspect that number would be higher. So it seems dumb to me for Ford to offer a low take rate item, Manual transmission with the less desirable motor of course less people will buy it. I am firmly in the camp of 2.7 manual squatch. I'm going to be paying 45k plus for a toy I don't want to compromise.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This forum did a survey of 2.3 vs 2.7 nearly 80 percent preferred the 2.7 and that was with existing options. If engine choices were offered independent of packages i suspect that number would be higher. So it seems dumb to me for Ford to offer a low take rate item, Manual transmission with the less desirable motor of course less people will buy it. I am firmly in the camp of 2.7 manual squatch. I'm going to be paying 45k plus for a toy I don't want to compromise.
No argument that ideally both engines should be available with either transmission.
I have little doubt that Ford will eventually come around to pairing the 2.7-Manual.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,”

Makes sense to me. With the objective to sell cars, why make something that will not sell.
Dealers buy cars & then try to cram ppl into what’s on their lot which means manuals are mated to ‘base’ & stripped down models. Manual buyers are all across the buying spectrum so naturally low rent models don’t ‘fit’ the whole group.

Sigh. Take rate is not real. Take rate is marketing speak for ‘no’. Manuals & 2 door vehicles are not popular yet somehow the Base Bronco is a 2dr manual and it’s the cheapest. By all accounts the take rate on that will be lousy and their return on investment will also be lousy. Manuals are seen as low rent & are locked into cheaper trims. Meanwhile Ford spends huge marketing dollars on up selling automatic transmissions, larger engines, flashy 12” screens, etc that all cant be had with a manual.

So if you spend all your time marketing high dollar upgrades and lock the manual cars out of them you only have yourself to blame for ‘low take rates’.

Sponsored

Lerico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 2004 Silverado 1500 1989 nissan d21 1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My above post begs the question why even offer the 2.3.
The 2.7 was designed from day one as a truck motor, the 2.3 was not. Every manufacturer puts much more care into their trucks because they have to. Truck are the highest volume and profit margin vehicles from Ford, Chevy, and Ram they cant have unreliable engines. The 2.7 has port and direct injection, CGI block, and was designed for forced induction. Personally I think the 2.7 is the better made of the two engines with the benefit of having more hp and torque. The 2.3 will have better fuel economy with 31 inch tires but when you add 35 inch tires and roof racks and other accessories that turn the bronco into more of a brick I'm betting real world economy between the 2.3 and 2.7 will be at par.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No argument that ideally both engines should be available with either transmission.
I have little doubt that Ford will eventually come around to pairing the 2.7-Manual.
That definitely would of shocked all of us if Ford optioned the manual with both the 2.3L and 2.7L. The best we can hope for is the manual sticking around on the 2.3L

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dealers buy cars & then try to cram ppl into what’s on their lot which means manuals are mated to ‘base’ & stripped down models. Manual buyers are all across the buying spectrum so naturally low rent models don’t ‘fit’ the whole group.

Sigh. Take rate is not real. Take rate is marketing speak for ‘no’. Manuals & 2 door vehicles are not popular yet somehow the Base Bronco is a 2dr manual and it’s the cheapest. By all accounts the take rate on that will be lousy and their return on investment will also be lousy. Manuals are seen as low rent & are locked into cheaper trims. Meanwhile Ford spends huge marketing dollars on up selling automatic transmissions, larger engines, flashy 12” screens, etc that all cant be had with a manual.

So if you spend all your time marketing high dollar upgrades and lock the manual cars out of them you only have yourself to blame for ‘low take rates’.
It does seem to be a downward spiral.

Manuals account for only about 5% of automobile purchases so manufacturers offer only a few models so equipped and dealers who are only interested in moving inventory ASAP stock few and the few enthusiasts who do come around looking for a manual are unlikely to find one or if they do it will likely not be appointed as they prefer.

Hence no sale.

The brilliant deduction from the dealer is that the one unit we had, stood in the lot for two months until it was traded to another dealer in another state for an automatic which sold the next day! So we are not ordering any more manuals!??‍♂

But look, you can still order the Bronco with a very capable and responsive 2.3 with the manual and have all the fun one can expect to extract from this beautiful beast!?

I hope there will be enough demand for the 2.3 and the bean counters at Ford can then be prevailed upon to approve the 2.7.?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right, and there's plenty for the enthusiast. You have a stick with a crawler gear available in all the packages, even in Sasquatch.

And don't forget the power of marketing in creating an image. ;)
But not the Larger Engine, which IMHO is also what most (well those that I know) enthusiast want.

It "appears" that FoMoCo talked to 90% Jeep Owners (who never owned an EB) and 10% EB Owners (that would never bought a Jeep). With the 2.3L being a better engine than an of the Jeeps current engines, those Jeep people said, fine, that will be great and then the EB owners said no, we want a V8. Then FoMoCo concluded with 90% preferring the 2.3L and that's what we'll stick in the Enthusiast unit...... this is also wh the 2021 Bronco got the Swinging Tailgate too! SMH.....

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But not the Larger Engine, which IMHO is also what most (well those that I know) enthusiast want.

It "appears" that FoMoCo talked to 90% Jeep Owners (who never owned an EB) and 10% EB Owners (that would never bought a Jeep). With the 2.3L being a better engine than an of the Jeeps current engines, those Jeep people said, fine, that will be great and then the EB owners said no, we want a V8. Then FoMoCo concluded with 90% preferring the 2.3L and that's what we'll stick in the Enthusiast unit...... this is also wh the 2021 Bronco got the Swinging Tailgate too! SMH.....
Ford has been pushing certain engines in some of their performance and non performance vehicles for a while now mainly for cache and marketing reasons. The 3.5L twin turbo in the GT and Raptor, the 2.3L in the Focus RS and Ranger. Those are great engines but some people will say Ford should of stuffed a V8 in the Raptor and GT. Maybe another engine for the Ranger and I don't know if people thought that there should of been a different engine in the RS.

I agree most of us would prefer the manual with the 2.7L but I get why they just went with the 2.3L. I'm still gonna get the manual because that's the only choice with a manual.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@rapidredbronco2021 I understand why FoMoCo did it as well, but I have an issue with the 2.3L being Direct Injection Only and I'm not going to buy an AT.

So, I'm out until they redesign the 2.3L or they mate the MT to the 2.7L. Hopefully 2022 an exceptionable choice will be available.....

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Yep, the manual trans car I bought earlier this year, had manual trans only available on the base model, and further was restricted to only 3 colors! Way to discourage getting a manual. :(

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay here is an idea. All us manual buyers collectively rev the hell out of our 2.3s and blow them sky high, valves through the hood. Then we all file a class action lawsuit that demands a motor with enough power that we dont have to rev the hell out of them. Maybe they will skip past the 2.7 and give us the 6.8 Godzuki motor with the HD 7speed. Just to make sure we dont smash anymore of our toys in anger. Like a parent trading out the legos we filled the toilet and garbage disposal with for chunks of 2x4s :ROFLMAO:

But for real who would give up an organ(a donateable one) for High Boy or Camper Special Bronco that probably on comes in 4 door but give you the 1.2" high clearance suspension standard with a beefier rear axle (maybe just trussed with thicker tubes and a higher spline count, 210 front axle standard, the new yet to be seen 6.8l V8 and the HD 590 lbft 7speed. A 6500lb tow rating would give it the ability to haul a 2 door built on 37s on a trailer. Would have to stiffen up the rear suspension maybe air ride rear. So it wouldnt be as fast in the desert or as flexy on the rubicon. Charge Land Rover money for it and it would be like the Overlanders Raptor.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@rapidredbronco2021 I understand why FoMoCo did it as well, but I have an issue with the 2.3L being Direct Injection Only and I'm not going to buy an AT.

So, I'm out until they redesign the 2.3L or they mate the MT to the 2.7L. Hopefully 2022 an exceptionable choice will be available.....
Not gonna lie, I don't think it would happen but I'm with you I would like to see Ford make that happen maybe 2023 or 2024. I doubt they'd make that kind of turnaround that quickly. I want to get the 2.7L but I rather have a manual.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not gonna lie, I don't think it would happen but I'm with you I would like to see Ford make that happen maybe 2023 or 2024. I doubt they'd make that kind of turnaround that quickly. I want to get the 2.7L but I rather have a manual.
How does one know they are a real manual guy? They'll give up a half a liter and a turbo!
Sponsored