Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Versus the 2.3 starting as a N/A engine with a turbo slapped on
I mean.... well.... no. Not really. Where did this parallax originate? It's peppered all over this forum and is disingenuous at best.

Here's the explanation from @Jomo, which is correct:

A Ford Duratec engine is essentially a Mazda MZR engine which has a closed deck Al block, iron liners, forged steel crankshaft, powder metal rods.

The current Ford Ecoboost 2.3L is a totally revised design based on the twin scroll Ecoboost 2.0L. It is not the older 2.3L Ecoboost based on the MZR . It has a ladder frame reinforced open deck Al block, chromoly liners, forged chromoly crankshaft, forged steel rods. This engine has been used since 2015.

The engines are quite different.
Sponsored

FTFRS

I mean.... well.... no. Not really. Where did this parallax originate? It's peppered all over this forum and is disingenuous at best.

Here's the explanation from @Jomo, which is correct:
I didn’t look into it that far, my apologies for spreading misinformation. I picked it up here in the forum, and I’m new to EB engines.

That’s good information for the people wary of the 2.3 for sure, as it sounds better/more developed than being based on the MZR, but the 2.7 still wins me over with the dual injection and CGI block. I’ll admit the CGI block is another thing I picked up here on the forum, but from the little I’ve read about it it’s a very interesting architecture that sounds better to me.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does one know they are a real manual guy? They'll give up a half a liter and a turbo!
I'll add that they actually just buy a manual rather than just piss, whine, and moan about it not being offered with x, y, and z options and not getting it. Ford answered and made it happen with the Sasquatch package. Now people actually need to buy them.

If they sell like crap there will never be a 2.7 pair with a manual. If they sell well then it might motivate Ford to offer it.

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn’t look into it that far, my apologies for spreading misinformation. I picked it up here in the forum, and I’m new to EB engines.

That’s good information for the people wary of the 2.3 for sure, as it’s better than being based on the MZR, but the 2.7 still wins me over with the dual injection and CGI block. I’ll admit the CGI block is another thing I picked up here on the forum, but from the little I’ve read about it it’s a very interesting architecture that sounds better to me.
Oh yeah what they did with the 2.7 is awesome, it seems very well engineered at a fundamental level. I don't want to take anything away from the 2.7 with my post, to be clear. The 2.3 is a generation behind for sure but it's not the dinosaur some are purporting.

I wonder where this misinformation on the 2.3 started though...? Probably some youboob personality as per usual.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll add that they actually just buy a manual rather than just piss, whine, and moan about it not being offered with x, y, and z options and not getting it. Ford answered and made it happen with the Sasquatch package. Now people actually need to buy them.

If they sell like crap there will never be a 2.7 pair with a manual. If they sell well then it might motivate Ford to offer it.
We called, they answered at least with the mansquatch. Now we the people that voiced their distain for Ford not offering the mansquatch, have to go buy one that's it. Ford has to see enough of a market in the manual to consider offering one with the 2.7L.

Ford offered main the manual standard in 4 of out of the 7 trims, most people will be able to build their Bronco to their liking. Yes, Ford could of gave us more off the bat but with what we got now, I'm happy with it and can't wait to build my red two door, mansquatch, either Black Diamond or Bad Lands Bronco. But we need more serious people to consider the manual to add another one down the line. It's time for people to vote with their money if they don't want manuals to leave.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We called, they answered at least with the mansquatch. Now we the people that voiced their distain for Ford not offering the mansquatch, have to go buy one that's it. Ford has to see enough of a market in the manual to consider offering one with the 2.7L.

Ford offered main the manual standard in 4 of out of the 7 trims, most people will be able to build their Bronco to their liking. Yes, Ford could of gave us more off the bat but with what we got now, I'm happy with it and can't wait to build my red two door, mansquatch, either Black Diamond or Bad Lands Bronco. But we need more serious people to consider the manual to add another one down the line. It's time for people to vote with their money if they don't want manuals to leave.

If you want the manual, there are plenty of reasons you can find to get it. If you don't want the manual, there are plenty of reasons you can find to not get it.

My guess is the take rate will be what it was going to be. There are very few people who decide between manual and auto on a whim. Plenty of people were going to find a reason to get the auto regardless. Just like plenty on here who aren't even buying a Bronco.

No one is judging if you want an auto or don't even want to buy a Bronco, but I know full well some of the complainers were never going to buy whatever it is that said they can't have even if it was offered. Just the nature of the beast I suppose.

All I know is I reserved within the first hour of the first night because I was all in, period. I may have to wait a few months longer now to get my mansquatch, but I'll have it and be wheeling the crap out of it while some on here will still be complaining and waiting and never getting a Bronco.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want the manual, there are plenty of reasons you can find to get it. If you don't want the manual, there are plenty of reasons you can find to not get it.

My guess is the take rate will be what it was going to be. There are very few people who decide between manual and auto on a whim. Plenty of people were going to find a reason to get the auto regardless. Just like plenty on here who aren't even buying a Bronco.

No one is judging if you want an auto or don't even want to buy a Bronco, but I know full well some of the complainers were never going to buy whatever it is that said they can't have even if it was offered. Just the nature of the beast I suppose.

All I know is I reserved within the first hour of the first night because I was all in, period. I may have to wait a few months longer now to get my mansquatch, but I'll have it and be wheeling the crap out of it while some on here will still be complaining and waiting and never getting a Bronco.
Especially with the Bronco you can find reasons to go auto or manual one way or another. I don't think there's any manual people judging on going the auto route with both engines.

Look we know the Bronco isn't a Mustang or sports car, and just because it wasn't built for speed doesn't mean a manual won't be a good option. I reserved mine the first night and went back in forth for a bout a month before making the decision to go manual; now that the Sasquatch is available with the manual just reaffirms my decision.

I want to see more people go manual because it's a dying breed. I'm looking at it from the positive side, I hope there's a decent amount of reservation holders that go that route but I bet it will be less than 20% for the first year, and I know that's pretty generous percentage.

I for one am excited to be a part of the rare group of mansquatchers and even be one of the rarer ones a two door model.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since Ford does read this blog, I'll get it on record saying that if they offered the 2.7 with a manual, I would be a buyer.

There's +1 for fomoco
Me too and there's probably more people that would go manual if it was mated to the 2.7L. I'm curious on the actual manual numbers will be and we will never know but the amount of people that would go manual for the 2.7L.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

If I won the lottery I would buy every squatch manual they make just to force the 2.7 MT Squatch combo. And then chain em together in 4s and synchronize the throttles and shifters and electrify the clutches to pull me a bunch of wagons and take the whole forum on the biggest wagon train the west ever saw!

I just hope they really show off the manuals at the off-rodeos.

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since Ford does read this blog, I'll get it on record saying that if they offered the 2.7 with a manual, I would be a buyer.

There's +1 for fomoco
Me too and there's probably more people that would go manual if it was mated to the 2.7L. I'm curious on the actual manual numbers will be and we will never know but the amount of people that would go manual for the 2.7L.
With the 2.7L being the ONLY Direct & Port Injection Engine Offered and the Fact that I Will Not Buy a Direct Injection Only Engine, I'm currently a Non-Buyer.

Yes, I'd love to see FoMoCo mate a MT to the 2.7L, but if they'd add the Port Injection to the 2.3L, that would work for me.

AND........ Before all of those "the carbon buildup isn't an issue" people chime in.... they would just be waiting their breath (or should I say energy typing their comment in).

My Money, My Choice, Your Money, Your Choice.

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My turn to rant...

I still think it’s a technical problem because this seems like the easy answer to a softball question from a Ford interviewer.

It is hard for me to believe that, when Ford sat down to develop this idea, they did not recognize that the type of person who wants a stick shift manual (9 times out of 10) is the type of person who wants the more powerful engine option. This is what makes it so ironic when he refers to it being the best decision to provide “technical” “rock climbing” crowds with what they want.

Nobody I know who hangs out in the woods is ever like, “thank god I had that four cylinder with less torque and not as much power on that challenging part of the trail.” This was an obvious misstep by Ford in the preliminary planning of this (should have been paired only with the 2.7 from the get-go) and now they’re trying to explain it away because they’re too far invested in the bad decision.
I agree that a lot of people who want manuals and powerful engines simultaneously, but disagree that you need the more powerful engine to do rock crawling and technical stuff. You need low end torque, and the 2.3T I-4 offers bucketloads of it, at an affordable price. The 2.3 might actually better suited to the crawling gears than the 2.7. The manual transmission also lowers the price. So it’s a good combination for that. The 2.7 will obviously be better for street acceleration and higher speed cruising. Honestly, the 10 speed automatic is better for that application. I think they got it right.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My turn to rant...

I still think it’s a technical problem because this seems like the easy answer to a softball question from a Ford interviewer.

It is hard for me to believe that, when Ford sat down to develop this idea, they did not recognize that the type of person who wants a stick shift manual (9 times out of 10) is the type of person who wants the more powerful engine option. This is what makes it so ironic when he refers to it being the best decision to provide “technical” “rock climbing” crowds with what they want.

Nobody I know who hangs out in the woods is ever like, “thank god I had that four cylinder with less torque and not as much power on that challenging part of the trail.” This was an obvious misstep by Ford in the preliminary planning of this (should have been paired only with the 2.7 from the get-go) and now they’re trying to explain it away because they’re too far invested in the bad decision.
I'm betting the reason was either a time or development cost to why they went the route they did. But it's probably a mixture of a lot of things. I agree it's a big misstep on their part, but also they could of not given a manual at all. I'm hopeful they'll consider it or start doing R&D for a manual mated to 2.7L
Sponsored