First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think it is driven by corporate EPA mandates, targets, goals. Looking at a few of the Polls on B6G if the 2.7 had both manual and auto the take rate for the 2.3 would probably be too low to meet the targeted fleet averages.
I think both engines are good, and the choices we have, with the addition of 2.3 MANSQUATCH provides options for enthusiasts while keeping the fleet target in tact.
Sponsored

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Eric Loeffler does not understand the reason for a manual. These kids just don't get it. It has nothing to do with being OLD FASHIONED. It has to do with being able to control the vehicle much better with a manual. **Sigh***
Reading the explanation I was thinking "Has this guy ever driven a manual? Or better yet driven a vehicle in a capacity greater than 'get me from point A to point B'?" Those types need to go help out on all the self driving cars and leave designing the enthusiast vehicles to the enthusiasts...

rand442002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My bad there's difference between complains made about something simple of adding the Sasquatch to the manual to developing an entirely new manual for a engine that never had one. Some people will complain about manual not being offered with a certiain engine but would still most likely go with an auto anyway.

I thought they would've added the manual to the 2.7L or at least both engines. But no, I'm still getting it even though I'd would've jumped on the 2.7L with a manual.
Ok, I get what you're saying now and it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying what you meant for me. I'll still make it known that I want the 2.7 with the manual. If we don't then they don't get the opportunity to at least know we want it and make it (I hope) available.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At my local dealer they typically have 40% manual mustang GTs on the lot. Probably closer to 20-30% 2.3 manuals. The automatics rotate and the manuals sit on the lot much longer. It all depends on the area. When they have previous year mustangs sitting on the lot in January they are all manuals. Not knocking a manual, I was actually going to buy a 2021 Mach 1 manual originally before I decided to switch to the bronco. I would only buy a mustang in a manual, but my bronco will be an automatic. Honestly I wish they would let us equip them however we want but I’m going to take what i can get that will best for what I’m trying to do. I’m glad they are offering a manual for you guys that want it.
I would guess that manual transmission drivers are a super minority. This forum is a very small slice of the pie and manual vs auto is split on the forum. I would guess if we saw the numbers Ford sees, we would probably agree with them :)

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I get what you're saying now and it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying what you meant for me. I'll still make it known that I want the 2.7 with the manual. If we don't then they don't get the opportunity to at least know we want it and make it (I hope) available.
I think most people including myself, would befall on board with a manual mated to the 2.7L. I just don't think it will happen depending on the take rates of the manual now compared to how many people option the 2.7L. It's a tempting engine choice but for me personally I rather have a manual instead and I hope not to regret it. I think Ford did everything right except for the manual not being an option for both engines or just the 2.7L.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,”

Makes sense to me. With the objective to sell cars, why make something that will not sell.
By that logic they shouldn't try to sell any Bronco's because that's not the highest volume thing they could make.

Ohlongjohnson

Base
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Basemansquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I understand Ford's reasoning. If it doesn't make business sense, it won't happen.
I was hoping they would offer a manual 2.7 but for me personally, I will be fine with the 2.3. If I feel like I need more power, a trip to a good tuner should rectify that.

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
As for why the 2.7 isn't getting a manual: I don't think it has ever been offered with one (the 2.3L has, in the Mustang) and therefore, probably does not have provision for a pilot bushing/bearing in the crank. I assume the crank is forged (I hope so with 400 ft-lb in a 6 cylinder, that is some serious load per cylinder), so just boring a hole in the crank might produce unacceptable weakness in the crank (breaking grain structure, etc, that you paid extra for in the forging process, as opposed to casting). If you need a new crank forging, that is a huge investment. Couple that with a new transmission housing, and you could be looking at needing to charge many thousands of dollars per sale to offer this, which likely means no sales, or at least few. I would bet it is not that simple to execute, and definitely not as easy as just putting a different engine in on the line.

Contrast that with the Sasquatch-manual decision: the only mechanical part of this that was not already tested out was 35" tires with the manual. The differentials, shocks, etc, were already tested out in manual Badlands rigs. This really was just a tire swap for them: easy, low investment.

Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My turn to rant...

I still think it’s a technical problem because this seems like the easy answer to a softball question from a Ford interviewer.

It is hard for me to believe that, when Ford sat down to develop this idea, they did not recognize that the type of person who wants a stick shift manual (9 times out of 10) is the type of person who wants the more powerful engine option. This is what makes it so ironic when he refers to it being the best decision to provide “technical” “rock climbing” crowds with what they want.

Nobody I know who hangs out in the woods is ever like, “thank god I had that four cylinder with less torque and not as much power on that challenging part of the trail.” This was an obvious misstep by Ford in the preliminary planning of this (should have been paired only with the 2.7 from the get-go) and now they’re trying to explain it away because they’re too far invested in the bad decision.
Mine is going to be a daily driver and I don’t won’t a MT. That being said, I work at a truck manufacturing facility and we have very few requests for MT.

Undecided

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2002 Tacoma, 2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing how many of the cool things that were super exciting as they got "leaked" through this past year for the new Bronco are mutually exclusive. Two-door & soft top, crawler gear & 2.7, sway bar disconnect & most trims. Glad to hear they will be offering Mansquatch - that eliminates one compromise (unless they end up charging the same for a manual as an auto).

I wonder now they are testing 37s what the compromise will be there... Warthog only? Automatic only? Not available with Sasquatch? Four-door only?

The reality that those of us who want to maximise capability in an economical utilitarian package are an endangered species is understandable. I think I will be one to wait and see how things look in January. Sounds like even some current reservations are going to stretch into 2022 at this point anyway.

HobbyPro

Black Diamond
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My prediction is that significantly more people than Ford thought will order the manual. They will take note and offer a 2.7 with the manual transmission down the road. The people that wanted it initially will not buy it because they are still paying off their 2.3 MT Bronco and they will rot on the lots.
Also my plan is to drive it until the 2.3 dies and then have my brother toss in a V8 since he's a mechanic.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I won the lottery I would buy every squatch manual they make just to force the 2.7 MT Squatch combo. And then chain em together in 4s and synchronize the throttles and shifters and electrify the clutches to pull me a bunch of wagons and take the whole forum on the biggest wagon train the west ever saw!

I just hope they really show off the manuals at the off-rodeos.
Why not just pay someone to shoehorn in a 5.0L? If I was independently wealthy, that is what I would do.
Sponsored