Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Via Automotive News:

Ford Motor Co's future could include a self-driving Bronco or F-150 Raptor.

The automaker has applied for a patent on an autonomous system for off-road vehicles that would enable the vehicles to traverse dirt, gravel, mud, sand and other tricky terrain.

Although Ford has announced no plans for a robo rock-climber, the patent sheds light on how the automaker thinks people might use self-driving vehicles.

The patent application said that such a system would include a processor with access to "a memory storing instructions executable by the processor."

Here's how it would work:

When a vehicle approaches off-road terrain, such as boulders or a large ditch, the system would use image processing technology to determine whether the vehicle could cross. If the vehicle could cross, the system would autonomously control active suspension that would enable the vehicle to pass over, or through, the obstacle.

The patent application included a pickup as an example but noted the system could work with "any passenger or commercial automobile such as a car, a truck, a sport utility vehicle, a crossover vehicle, a van, a minivan, a taxi, a bus, etc."

Ford, in a statement, said it submits "patents on innovative ideas as a normal course of business. Patent applications are intended to protect new ideas but aren't necessarily an indication of new business or product plans."
Sponsored

Bronco 21

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That sounds kind of cool, actually. Except for hardcore, (crazy/stupid) offroaders. I could it see it now:

computer: "Do not pass"

me: "Nah, I got this"

.......Later, after I break something:

(in my head): "maybe I should have listened"

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, sounds like patent fencing more than something that would be produced any time soon. I guess you never know, though.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto makers can't even make an autonomous system for predictable paths like roads that don't come with a clause telling the driver to remain fully engaged or it's their own fault, this off road autonomous system is 100% wishful thinking.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Auto makers can't even make an autonomous system for predictable paths like roads that don't come with a clause telling the driver to remain fully engaged or it's their own fault, this off road autonomous system is 100% wishful thinking.
Believe it or not, off road autonomy is a lot easier.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It's a combination of that and a general corporate habit of patenting anything they think they can patent just in case. Now that they have the patent, if somebody else wants to do it they have to figure out how to do it a different way or pay Ford to do it the way the patent describes.
Sponsored