Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the order it happened for me, disregard the late availability on SAS and manual... We didn't know that then:
I started 2 door BD 2.3/7sp with SAS - Kids really pushed me to get a 4 door so they could ride around doorless in the back
Then decided 4 door BD SAS 2.3/7sp - Feared the powertrain would not be enough when towing my enclosed trailer and the dirt bikes, and an ankle injury later so...
Then went to BD SAS 2.7/Auto, price was so high I decided I may as well go...
4 door WT, then I saw the camo interior and didn't want the leather.
Ended on 4 door 2.7/Auto BL and am still stuck on the SAS or not. I'm leaning toward no SAS.
I was initially 2 door too. Then I saw this pic....

Ford Bronco Ford finally got me.... Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 10.05.08 AM

And immediately I thought, I want THAT TRUCK IN WHITE!

Then all the specifics of the different trims came out and I decided on the Black Diamond, because I like the interior, hate cloth and hate all black interiors like on the BL.

Then we find out you cant get manual with the Mid package on BD.

Thats when I started contemplating Auto.

Because of the limited packages available with the manual, they have just made it hard to select the manual. Especially for those of us bent on Sasquatch.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It's a debate in my head, but I am pretty well set on a Badlands so I can go Mid either way.

My other debate is Mid or High.

Like you, I figure Trail Turn Assist on a two door is cool, but not OMG have to have. Trail Control in my mind just makes up for not have a manual.

Practical me wants to keep weight down because I know I'll be adding more later and that Overland concept was pretty loaded down with what little it had.

The price of the 2.7/Auto is a deal though ...

And if MY 22 or 23 shows up with a 2.7 / 7 MT Ford will probably be taking more of my money.

jclaypool83

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, 6.7L 2500 RAM, FOCUS RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did they push you to the switch too?

As much as I’ve been 100% all in on the 2.3/7spd, I finally argued myself into a corner and decided to go 2.7/10 spd on my 2 dr BD. I love “rowing the boat”, it gives you a fee of being in control, holding a gear just a bit longer so you don’t have a lag, dropping that gear hammering up a steep climb, I love all of it, no issues dding a manual.

What got me was the stipulations and restrictions.
- no mid/manual without going BL
- 400 torque limit
- none of the perks (trail turn, trail control)
- no public track record yet for the 7 spd
I’m not looking to go nuts in the power department, but 310hp/400tq out of the box, with 375-400hp/450-500 tq easily attainable and well within factory parameters is impressive.
I was looking forward to the 95:1 crawl ratio, but 80:1 is still ahead of a similarly prepped JLR. I’ve never needed trail turn assist, particularly on a 2 door, but it’s one more trick to add to the arsenal. And let’s be honest, I’m getting old and brittle, heated seats and remote start are a necessity in Michigan at this point (still don’t have my heated wheel ?)

All of that pointed towards the 2.7/10 spd.
Anyone else end up getting duped or was it just me?
I have replied to similar quotes. I have come to the same conclusion you have. The 1895 value with power, comfort, and convenience. I have a manual DD in my 328I, and my wife focus RS. The 94 to 1 crawl ratio was the reason I would go to manual but in reality I'm only going to off-road this 10% of it's lifetime. The other reason just to powerful to overlook.

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You think that’s bad........I was going to LS/LT swap my Jeep with a tremec 4050 5 speed, or a 6/10 speed auto...then i decided a bronco with a 2.3/7 speed would be a better option. Then I started thing back to the LS/LT swap, then I decided that a 2.7/A10 is probably the best option since the whole reason I’m looking is more power. My Jeep is a v6/M6. It runs good with 5.13’s and 37’s...but the 2.7/A10 would rip!!! Jesus, I need make up my fucking mind already, LOL.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's my daily driver and I will have all the power and all the luxury...well, a lot of it. I earned my man card long ago. I don't have to prove jack. I'll take that V6 and auto for $1800. I'll add a few bolt-on upgrades down the road and maybe a tune. There will be ZERO regrets.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stay strong! I couldn’t and gave in.

The MT means more to me than all the other stuff. If for some reason the MT was taken off the boards, I'd walk.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is no way I would give up a v6 for manual, nope nope nope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Zero chance I buy an auto. I might get sucked into a Badlands because of late availability of ManSquatch and no mid with manual BD, but I doubt it. I had a 2005 Nissan Xterra Off-road with a 6-speed. That thing was a blast and had plenty of power/torque, especially in the dirt. I wish I had kept it, but it had potential timing chain issues so I dumped it before it got expensive. The 2.3 has more power and torque than that VQ40.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally wanted manual, but then I realized you couldn't get the 2.7L, Sasquatch Package, or Trail Turn Assist (not sure if I will ever need it with the two door, but it's cool) so I switched to the 2.7L. THEN they said mansquatch was available so I battled internally on whether I really wanted it and figured it was best to stay with the 2.7L.

Justifying it after the fact, I messed up my shoulder years ago and am finally getting it fixed so that means possible surgery. Who knows if it will ever be right and I might hate daily driving a stick because of it. My current Jeep is an auto so I'm not really losing the manual and I can get so much more without delaying my Bronco.

It was a tough decision, but the 2.7L with the auto is right for me.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, the first cold day here warning up the car with my frozen fingers made me decide to get the 6-10 for the remote start and other goodies (went looking for reinforcement on that choice and watched trail videos where an auto would be a lot easier) stayed there in my mind for about two weeks, then went back to the 4-7. I'll get the heated wheel for my fingers in a lux Badlands instead of going for the auto.

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Manual or bust!!!

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was 2.7L the whole time regardless of what transmission it was paired to. It would have been cool to have a manual with the V6 but it's not happening and I won't go down to the 4 cylinder to have one.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

manual transmissions is boomer stuff and has gone the way of the dodo years ago. There is no way I would give up a v6 for manual, nope nope nope.
Sounds like someone is bitter that their parents didn't teach them to drive a manual transmission.

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the 2dr 2.7 will RIP and totally makeup for the manual experience, but then I get concerned with fuel capacity....
Sponsored