Sponsored

Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When an automaker "strategically partners" with the world's preeminent data scraper in our brave new corporate surveillance state, what could go wrong? :mad:

“Once you have a platform that lets you get data and analyze it,” he continued. “There's lots of very simple but transformative experiences that you can offer drivers: for example, assisting them when they need to schedule a service appointment with the dealer or helping them shop for cars better by personalizing the shopping experiences.
Sponsored

Roach

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Frontier, '74 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

:unsure: Did anyone see VPN on the DIO list? I guess if I stay out of cell coverage range permanently I'm good...that's a double-win.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When an automaker "strategically partners" with the world's preeminent data scraper in our brave new corporate surveillance state, what could go wrong? :mad:

“Once you have a platform that lets you get data and analyze it,” he continued. “There's lots of very simple but transformative experiences that you can offer drivers: for example, assisting them when they need to schedule a service appointment with the dealer or helping them shop for cars better by personalizing the shopping experiences.
What terrible news. When Dish Network replaced their voice search with Google Assistant, it stopped working properly and hasn't worked since - unless you want to find youtube videos which seems to be the only thing it is good at.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

That sucks! For a guy who doesn’t use a lot of those features could be totally fine with all that shit turned off as long as I could connect my phone for music.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone know if the Bronco has a sim card? Hopefully not, some vehicles do. I'm one of those that has stopped pairing my phone with my vehicle. As long as the Bronco doesn't have its own sim card, and you don't pair your phone with your Bronco, Google nor Ford shouldn't have access to any vehicle data, at least not until you bring your Bronco in to a dealer, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does anyone know if the Bronco has a sim card? Hopefully not, some vehicles do. I'm one of those that has stopped pairing my phone with my vehicle. As long as the Bronco doesn't have its own sim card, and you don't pair your phone with your Bronco, Google nor Ford shouldn't have access to any vehicle data, at least not until you bring your Bronco in to a dealer, correct me if I'm mistaken.
I thought the Bronco was one of the vehicles to get OTA updates - which means sim card or not it could receive and transmit whatever data they wanted.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You'd have a point except that everyone and every company is already tracking everything we do. I tried to order KFC the other day for in-store pickup and they were asking for my email, address, etc. I hate to say it but unless there is some major federal regulations passed, privacy is dead.

With big screen tvs becoming the normal in cars, maybe, just maybe, it won't be an outdated piece of shit when you pull it off the lot. I doubt it though. No interest in adding value to old purchases but maybe google will pressure Ford to update so google can sell more phones.

*edit small grammar error.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love when people get bent out of shape about stuff like this. Unless you live in a completely analog state, you are a product. Sometimes your identity is attached to the database of preferences and behaviors, most of the time it's stripped out.

Every time you accept a cookie on a website, navigate to any page that has Facebook/apple/google/amazon login capability, visit a page that has a comments section, use social media, use a credit card, connect your phone to a cell tower, etc, there is a tidbit of information available that can be collected, collated and cross referenced to create an approximation of you.

You're welcome to rage against it, but unless you're ready to give up pretty much all modern conveniences, there's really nothing you can do about it. So sit back, stream your music, let the navigation get you home by the quickest route, and let our digital overlords play their marketing games.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You will be forced to activate Ford pass when you take delivery. We (dealers) get penalized if you don't so play nice and go ahead and activate. If you don't want it after a few weeks delete and uninstall it. You will lose some features like remote start and lock and unlock from your phone but if you don't care about that this is your option. From what we've seen on other vehicles the transmitter is built into other modules which makes it impossible to physically disconnect. Someone with programming skills out there needs to start working on this.

Tracking my phone is my choice. Tracking a vehicle I own should also be my choice, not mandated by the people who think they are entitled to my data.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm so confused. Is this a change in operating system or just software? This press release says that Ford and QNX are strengthening their relationship. http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_6294_1.html

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I love when people get bent out of shape about stuff like this. Unless you live in a completely analog state, you are a product. Sometimes your identity is attached to the database of preferences and behaviors, most of the time it's stripped out.

Every time you accept a cookie on a website, navigate to any page that has Facebook/apple/google/amazon login capability, visit a page that has a comments section, use social media, use a credit card, connect your phone to a cell tower, etc, there is a tidbit of information available that can be collected, collated and cross referenced to create an approximation of you.

You're welcome to rage against it, but unless you're ready to give up pretty much all modern conveniences, there's really nothing you can do about it. So sit back, stream your music, let the navigation get you home by the quickest route, and let our digital overlords play their marketing games.
Same, if your bent is of the 'gub'mint' coming down and stealing all your data and turning you into a soylent product, then of course this is bad news.

HOWEVER, if you've ever seen how well the Apple integration works in a BMW or a Tesla, and how Android is treated as a passing afterthought, this is very very good news.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023 giphy-1