Sponsored

Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ha ha fu goole ,apple đź–•lick finger and stick it out window (dead reckoning)
Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When an automaker "strategically partners" with the world's preeminent data scraper in our brave new corporate surveillance state, what could go wrong? :mad:

“Once you have a platform that lets you get data and analyze it,” he continued. “There's lots of very simple but transformative experiences that you can offer drivers: for example, assisting them when they need to schedule a service appointment with the dealer or helping them shop for cars better by personalizing the shopping experiences.”
Wasn't all this already done like 5-8 years ago, onboard computers helping schedule service appointments? And what's the rate of drivers that don't own mobile devices? App Play components is all you need, drop the concept of 'Nav' in a vehicle. Just provide a linkable screen/display. That is all. Useless.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's less about hiding my tracks as opposed to giving my information away to a corporation for nothing in return.
You get to use their free services. Ever wonder why they're free?

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Admits that everything is being tracked and correlated... also throws "tin foil hat" out there...

BTW, someone at Jackson Dawson has been cyberstalking the living sh-- out of me, lol
Don't look behind you...

kyhv9ffhbbu688552ypcsxwlryxni70cpf9br2kc&rid=giphy.gif

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Google's love for killing off existing projects is the only part of this that is concerning to me.

I'm an Android user and Google every two years or so just straight up murders their own messaging app. It's gone past the point of annoyance and it's just funny at this point.
Project Fi stopped offering web texting, so I went back to VZW. Better coverage anyway.
I was on a vacation the day they killed google trips, goodbye all the neat walking tours I had picked out.
Hangouts is dying, and being replaced by two (three?) different apps. So I picked up signal. Plus many of my friends have iPhones, and iMessage has end-to-end encryption.

Probably going to go with iPhone 13 or 14 when it's time to retire my pixel; I too am sick of Google's product churn.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Project Fi stopped offering web texting, so I went back to VZW. Better coverage anyway.
Agreed on Google killing things. Regarding Fi though, they did bring back messages and calling via messages.google.com, which I use daily

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed on Google killing things. Regarding Fi though, they did bring back messages and calling via messages.google.com, which I use daily
IIRC your phone has to be connected to internet AND have cell service for that. Back in the good ole days my phone could be off and I could still text / call. Or I could be out of cell range but have wifi.

Regardless, don't care to have google remove it on whim, so I'll just stick with VZW.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You get to use their free services. Ever wonder why they're free?
I stay away from the free services. I know exactly why they're free.

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the last year and last few months in particular has taught us anything it's that big tech is not our friend.

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tracking my phone is my choice. Tracking a vehicle I own should also be my choice, not mandated by the people who think they are entitled to my data.
There are terms of service when you a service. If those terms say they get to analyze your data in aggregate, and you use that service and agree to the terms, they don't "think they are entitled"... they ARE entitled to your data. You agreed to it, in return for a "free" service.

With that said, there are lots of options to stop or minimize the use of your data, with Google as well as most other services. As far as a future Bronco with Google inside, there are ways you can limit the data they receive, such as turning off location services or disabling Google Analytics. Honestly, I don't personally care if Google sees that I visited Walmart, so I'm not going to bother turning mine off, but you have the option.

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the last year and last few months in particular has taught us anything it's that big tech is not our friend.
They've never hurt me. In fact, big tech has made my life a lot easier over the years.

SpringBreak98

Black Diamond
First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Providing your email to sign up for a public forum and using your phone or laptop attached to your I.P. to post about Broncos and your biggest worry is your actual Bronco might be the one stealing your information...wow. :ROFLMAO:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are terms of service when you a service. If those terms say they get to analyze your data in aggregate, and you use that service and agree to the terms, they don't "think they are entitled"... they ARE entitled to your data. You agreed to it, in return for a "free" service.

With that said, there are lots of options to stop or minimize the use of your data, with Google as well as most other services. As far as a future Bronco with Google inside, there are ways you can limit the data they receive, such as turning off location services or disabling Google Analytics. Honestly, I don't personally care if Google sees that I visited Walmart, so I'm not going to bother turning mine off, but you have the option.
I still feel the same way and agree that once we agree to the terms, we lose all rights to our data. This has become the norm with our phones and apps we decide to download and use. Using our driving data/analytics for marketing purposes, product development, improvement is understood. Where I take the most issue is, based on comments made by Ford leadership over the past 3 years along with how they have locked down the diagnostics on the repair side, the feeling they're trying to exert control over the product like John Deere. Also, how long before we see a massive data breach or an attorney figures out they can subpoena this data for a legal defense or claim? Prosecuting attorneys can request this data already for use in their cases, when do the insurance companies, DMV or other alphabet agencies get access?

Do any of the cameras gather or transmit data back to Ford or other 3rd party? Exactly what data, specifically are they gathering? Ford has already started giving us grief on warranty claims that the submitted mileage on a claim does not match the RO open date and VHR mileage. Now, I don't think the IT is advanced enough but at some point they'll know exactly where you are when a failure occurs, maybe have a camera pic of the vehicle off-roading along with your geo location. How long before they start making the call between warrantable repair and abuse?

Out of this, we get to see fuel level, remote start, lock/unlock, location and turn on some lights. I want to believe they're benefitting more from this arrangement more than we are. Not knowing who is getting the data, how much is collected or how it's used, sold and secured, just opens consumers up to another potential route for breach of personal identification information. At least on the Iphone, I have the ability to limit what some apps can gather.
Sponsored