Sponsored

Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All the info is being collected in the vehicle no matter what. I don't really worry about it, I don't have anything to hide. I am more amazed at the detail of the data. With my BMW motorcycle, I can "replay" every trip I've taken. Shows your route, acceleration, deceleration, speed, lean angles, g's in a turn or when accelerating/decellerating, at any point along the route. Just crazy!
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealers and salesmen whine like 5yr olds for you to acvtivate it a give them a good review for Ford. I should be allowed to do all that on my own. I am an adult.
I agree but the "whining" is mostly due to Ford requiring us to have a certain % of modems activated or they penalize the dealer by withholding money on subsequent month sales. So the incentive for the dealer is financial and has nothing to do with a survey. They also dangle the carrot with FP points for the customer. Don't activate within the window and they don't give you the points.

I understand your point completely and if there wouldn't be a financial penalty for both parties to activate, no one would likely care. The best advice would be to activate at the time of sale so the dealer doesn't get dinged and you get the points. If you don't want the FP app features after 30 or 60 days, do a master reset and clear your phone from the modem. I assume Ford can still see and track the vehicle but won't have access to data going through your phone.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the info is being collected in the vehicle no matter what. I don't really worry about it, I don't have anything to hide. I am more amazed at the detail of the data. With my BMW motorcycle, I can "replay" every trip I've taken. Shows your route, acceleration, deceleration, speed, lean angles, g's in a turn or when accelerating/decellerating, at any point along the route. Just crazy!
Yeah I'm a fan of the connectivity and new tech to be honest. As long as I'm able to see info on the level of connectivity and types of data shared or saved, I couldn't care less about it, and many aspects can be turned off or opted out of with most services.

If I decide to commit a felony, become an east coast narcotics trafficker, or do something else shady I'll drive one of my old cars lol. Not like you're not being tracked anywhere else. Florida collects vehicle and driver data at many if not all toll booths and doesn't want to disclose to what end and how its used... at least Google tells you how invasive they are being.

Reactions: Jdc

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree but the "whining" is mostly due to Ford requiring us to have a certain % of modems activated or they penalize the dealer by withholding money on subsequent month sales. So the incentive for the dealer is financial and has nothing to do with a survey. They also dangle the carrot with FP points for the customer. Don't activate within the window and they don't give you the points.

I understand your point completely and if there wouldn't be a financial penalty for both parties to activate, no one would likely care. The best advice would be to activate at the time of sale so the dealer doesn't get dinged and you get the points. If you don't want the FP app features after 30 or 60 days, do a master reset and clear your phone from the modem. I assume Ford can still see and track the vehicle but won't have access to data going through your phone.
So after a month of ownership, I got an email I think that said my Ford services were running out. I turned most of the connected stuff off in my Sync4 already. I don't want the connected crap anyway spying on me. But at this point, I am not sure what I am missing out on. Either from my service running out or me turning stuff off. Not sure what I can't do.

It's not that I want my salesmen or dealership to miss out on thier stuff they get from Ford. It's just the way it gets presented.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could spend hours complaining about how terrible Google Maps on Android Auto is.

Honestly I'm not excited for this -- all I can think of are the DOUBLE DIN 6.8" TOUCHSCREEN STEREO ANDROID 6.0 MP3 WMA FLAC EBOOK L@@K **FREE SHIPPING**US WAREHOUSE** garbage you'd find on eBay.

Every few years, Ford chooses a new core for Sync. Microsoft, Blackberry(ish), and now cost-effective Android.
It's infinitely better than the crap Ford sells in their cars, or at least the nav in my 2022 Mustang is sh!t, maybe it's better in other vehicles.

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's infinitely better than the crap Ford sells in their cars, or at least the nav in my 2022 Mustang is sh!t, maybe it's better in other vehicles.
I just got a 2022 Silverado with the Android-based infotainment.

It's dogshit.

Laggy beyond belief, taking 5-8 seconds to load pages at times. I've had it take over 20 seconds to change tracks. Like, not just "the audio is lagging" -- I press the button and my phone doesn't get the Next Track for 20 seconds, then it takes the radio an additional 10 seconds to update the title.

I'll tell it to download offline maps for my area. It works fine for 2 days, then "you need more offline map data" driving the exact same route on day 3. I connected it to a metered hotspot and it burned up all my data in a week because it redownloads offline maps daily.

It's a weird opposites here. The Silverado has laggy infotainment but a beautiful smooth instrument cluster. The Bronco's Sync4 is far superior but the instrument cluster is juddery.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve been using Apple Car Play. So far, it hasn’t let me down.

Mike_D

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4D Bronco BD, '23 2D Bronco Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How about a car stereo like this? I know where I’m going, and I find it nice to listen to local stations. I can live with hearing music that’s not in my library.
Ford Bronco Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023 1663032910129

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So after a month of ownership, I got an email I think that said my Ford services were running out. I turned most of the connected stuff off in my Sync4 already. I don't want the connected crap anyway spying on me. But at this point, I am not sure what I am missing out on. Either from my service running out or me turning stuff off. Not sure what I can't do.

It's not that I want my salesmen or dealership to miss out on thier stuff they get from Ford. It's just the way it gets presented.
Presentation and explanation is the key. I think you may lose remote start/lock-unlock, location, fuel level, tire pressure, oil life, VHR, remote light activation and other minor stuff by deactivating. These are all the "free" stuff they dangle to coax and keep the connection. Dealers don't even know the full extent of what they're collecting but it's fairly safe to assume it's on par with Google or other big data skimmers. I'm waiting on a lawsuit from an accident and Ford is subpoenaed for data from that vehicle. It's just a matter of time until insurance companies, more prosecutors and .gov figure out they can pinch Ford for this info and start using it for ?????

On my end, they've already started looking at warranty claim mileage and saying it doesn't match VHR mileage. Makes sense if you called in days or weeks prior to the visit and we generate a shop order but the days of latitude with a repair is over.

Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Presentation and explanation is the key. I think you may lose remote start/lock-unlock, location, fuel level, tire pressure, oil life, VHR, remote light activation and other minor stuff by deactivating. These are all the "free" stuff they dangle to coax and keep the connection. Dealers don't even know the full extent of what they're collecting but it's fairly safe to assume it's on par with Google or other big data skimmers. I'm waiting on a lawsuit from an accident and Ford is subpoenaed for data from that vehicle. It's just a matter of time until insurance companies, more prosecutors and .gov figure out they can pinch Ford for this info and start using it for ?????

On my end, they've already started looking at warranty claim mileage and saying it doesn't match VHR mileage. Makes sense if you called in days or weeks prior to the visit and we generate a shop order but the days of latitude with a repair is over.
I took delivery October 2021, did not sign up at the dealership and have still not and will not. Could careless about points. All the items that you mentioned that might not work, work just fine on my Bronco. Coming up on it first anniversary October 16th.
Ford Bronco Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023 20220716_122934

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took delivery October 2021, did not sign up at the dealership and have still not and will not. Could careless about points. All the items that you mentioned that might not work, work just fine on my Bronco. Coming up on it first anniversary October 16th.
Ford Bronco Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023 20220716_122934
I think all of this will come to a head at some point with all the data skimmers. Cali has already
made opt out available for all of their citizens and as much as I dislike a lot of the stuff that goes on there, agree with them on this issue. Sharing some of your data for something in return, besides tons of junk email and more solicitations no one ever asked for, should be a reasonable expectation for what is shared. Right now, it's all one sided unless you're one of those people that is mostly disconnected from the matrix.

Wouldn't put it past any of the mfgrs to still pull vehicle data even though you never opted in or consented. Just a matter of time before the curtain is pulled back and people find out CRM knows more about you than you know about you. LOL

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think all of this will come to a head at some point with all the data skimmers. Cali has already
made opt out available for all of their citizens and as much as I dislike a lot of the stuff that goes on there, agree with them on this issue. Sharing some of your data for something in return, besides tons of junk email and more solicitations no one ever asked for, should be a reasonable expectation for what is shared. Right now, it's all one sided unless you're one of those people that is mostly disconnected from the matrix.

Wouldn't put it past any of the mfgrs to still pull vehicle data even though you never opted in or consented. Just a matter of time before the curtain is pulled back and people find out CRM knows more about you than you know about you. LOL
Yes I know and understand what you say about CA. If I was younger may be I would love all the high tech on every thing I own and touch, but at 61 I'm content with Google just tracking me on my phone. Thanks Man

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How about a car stereo like this? I know where I’m going, and I find it nice to listen to local stations. I can live with hearing music that’s not in my library.
1663032910129.jpeg
The touchscreen on that one is broken. And I couldn't get the HD radio to kick in. But the volume knob is working just fine.

a94cobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

We bought an 18 f150 and a 19 edge that all the FP app stuff seems to still work. Never paid any fees there.
Sponsored