Sponsored

Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's not apathy. It's understanding where company revenue streams come from. Nothing in this world is free, so how can GoogTwitbook provide their services for free?

If you want to partake in our connected world, you decide which trade off you want. Take away the marketing revenue stream and we'll be paying $1 per Google search or .50 per tweet and that $800 cell phone will be $1500. Or they won't exist at all.
ā€œTechnology does not need vast troves of personal data, stitched together across dozens of websites and apps, in order to succeed,ā€ Cook said. ā€œAdvertising existed and thrived for decades without it.ā€

~Tim Cook

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...s-at-facebook-over-online-privacy-01611879927

Also for those who do care about their data privacy... https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/A_Day_in_the_Life_of_Your_Data.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have nothing productive to add so Iā€™m just going to leave 2 comedians takes that are somewhat relevant ( top is nsfw... itā€™s Bill burr lol)

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This x100

Why are we still pretending built in navigation has a place in vehicles in 2021. I have more use for a cigarette lighter in my truck and I donā€™t smoke.
Two big reasons for me. (1) I'm cheap and pay for minimal data on my phone so hate burning it for maps while travelling. and (2) I travel to rural areas with questionable cell coverage and with the Bronco will probably go further off the beaten path. Sure I could download maps before I go but what a pain that is.

I do find it funny that some comments are "never track me" and other are "use apps on your phone so they don't need to guess who's driving." Polar opposites.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ā€œTechnology does not need vast troves of personal data, stitched together across dozens of websites and apps, in order to succeed,ā€ Cook said. ā€œAdvertising existed and thrived for decades without it.ā€

~Tim Cook

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...s-at-facebook-over-online-privacy-01611879927

Also for those who do care about their data privacy... https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/A_Day_in_the_Life_of_Your_Data.pdf
Oh yes. Lets bring Tim Cooks idea of consumer "advocacy" into the picture. Apple screws it's customers in all sorts of creative ways. At least Google is upfront about it.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's not apathy. It's understanding where company revenue streams come from. Nothing in this world is free, so how can GoogTwitbook provide their services for free?
And what if I don't want GoogTwitbook's "free" services? What if I just want to drive my Ford vehicle with no one looking over my shoulder? Too bad for me! Google now knows where I drive, what I like to eat, which doctors I go to, ad infinitum, and I have no say in the matter because the automaker has integrated Google services into the vehicle's on-board system.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And what if I don't want GoogTwitbook's "free" services? What if I just want to drive my Ford vehicle with no one looking over my shoulder? Too bad for me! Google now knows where I drive, what I like to eat, which doctors I go to, ad infinitum, and I have no say in the matter because the automaker has integrated Google services into the vehicle's on-board system.
Don't sign in. They can collect all the data points they'd like, but without your Google account, it can't be tied back to your profile. That data is then anonymous like most of the data Google collects.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have no say in the matter
Your say is by not buying that product.

I get it. These things are creeping into our lives. But if this is a serious issue for you there are lots of options out there where you can avoid the intrusion.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why would anyone pay for built-in navigation these days?
With CarPlay and my phone, I have that for free (or, at least not an extra payment).
I guess you never drive out of cell overage. Also, this is exactly the reason I am getting built in Nav, I don't want my car to be dependent on the 'cloud' or cell coverage, don't need it, don't want it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I work in tech, my 2 cents is the devil is in the details. Before you get spun up, we need to know more about how it is being implemented. Apple Carplay and Android Auto require your phone in order to be activated.

Google Cloud Platform is just a platform for hosting anything from code to virtual servers. Microsoft, Amazon, etc. all have these, and they can all be FedRAMP, which means the US government has certified they would put their own workloads on them.

I know it's fashionable to get up in arms about Google and all the other big tech companies, but again, the devil is in the details.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't sign in. They can collect all the data points they'd like, but without your Google account, it can't be tied back to your profile. That data is then anonymous like most of the data Google collects.
Oh, if only that were true. There are a myriad of ways to take the data and make reasonable guesses who you are.

Say I'm collecting location information and I see you are at 123 Sesame Street every night. A little research shows that Oscar the Grouch lives at that address. I can reasonably assume that you are Oscar and tie that data together.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know if the Bronco has a sim card? Hopefully not, some vehicles do. I'm one of those that has stopped pairing my phone with my vehicle. As long as the Bronco doesn't have its own sim card, and you don't pair your phone with your Bronco, Google nor Ford shouldn't have access to any vehicle data, at least not until you bring your Bronco in to a dealer, correct me if I'm mistaken.
Ford says they aren't sharing any data with Google.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh, if only that were true. There are a myriad of ways to take the data and make reasonable guesses who you are.

Say I'm collecting location information and I see you are at 123 Sesame Street every night. A little research shows that Oscar the Grouch lives at that address. I can reasonably assume that you are Oscar and tie that data together.
See my first comment in this thread about raging against an inevitability. That same information can be gleaned off you using a credit card at your local grocery store and then using it again on a website at home that sees your public IP address. The IP address can be connected to your ISP account and therefore your home address. There's now a point of data tying you to both the grocery store and the website with your name, address, and credit history attached to it. Plus, every other website you visit can be correlated back to the same address and fills in more of your profile. Have we gone far enough down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole yet?

Inevitability.

Also, do you turn your cell phone off when you go home?

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

See my first comment in this thread about raging against an inevitability. That same information can be gleaned off you using a credit card at your local grocery store and then using it again on a website at home that sees your public IP address. The IP address can be connected to your ISP account and therefore your home address. There's now a point of data tying you to both the grocery store and the website with your name, address, and credit history attached to it. Plus, every other website you visit can be correlated back to the same address and fills in more of your profile. Have we gone far enough down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole yet?

Inevitability.

Also, do you turn your cell phone off when you go home?
Inevitability, maybe. But Iā€™m sure as hell not going to roll over and let it happen without fighting for some control over the digital footprint I leave. I donā€™t turn off my phone but apple at least letā€™s me control what other apps and devices can access that location data. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m championing.

Thereā€™s a reason google provides ā€˜freeā€™ (low cost) crap to the education system. Start tracking them before they have any rights to say, ā€œNoā€.

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess you never drive out of cell overage. Also, this is exactly the reason I am getting built in Nav, I don't want my car to be dependent on the 'cloud' or cell coverage, don't need it, don't want it.
There are tons of apps that allow map downloads.
Even my watch does it...
Ford Bronco Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023 1612223322292
Sponsored