Sponsored

Ford has a reason for offering so many gray variations, and two reds.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/12/most-popular-car-colors/

Nearly 77% of car colors ordered are White, Black, Gray or Silver.
  1. White, 23.9%
  2. Black, 23.2%
  3. Gray, 15.5%
  4. Silver, 14.5%
  5. Red, 10.3%
  6. Blue, 9%
Sadly, this is all too true because - wait for it - customers don’t order cars, dealers order cars.

We are ordering our Broncos and we want them in the colors we’d most like to see. We aren’t concerned about the initial sale, other people’s reactions, or resale.

Our color palette is quite different from what a ‘sell by the pound’ dealer would buy because we are the customers and we are assured of waiting to get what we want. As long as we’re already waiting, we might as well get what we want! And we want more colors!

Ford Bronco Ford has a reason for offering so many gray variations, and two reds. F0CE97E9-EF16-437E-B55B-28D26E0C93D0
Sponsored

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/12/most-popular-car-colors/

Nearly 77% of car colors PURCHASED are White, Black, Gray or Silver.
  1. White, 23.9%
  2. Black, 23.2%
  3. Gray, 15.5%
  4. Silver, 14.5%
  5. Red, 10.3%
  6. Blue, 9%
Fixed it for you. I think you'd have a very different distribution if you looked at vehicles ordered, vs. purchased off the lot. Dealers try to buy colors that won't offend anyone, which is why they are all so bland.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We don't, we just have Area51 from 27 different angles. :p

• Haha
Reactions: A1A

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think it’s reflective of “people are willing to buy those colors” so dealers will put them in inventory, versus those are the colors that people really want.
It’s more of “I’m not offended by this color” and a low risk for inventory.
Don't forget that aside from us weirdos who custom-order our color preference, the only REAL customer in this entire cycle is the dealership.

They are the ones buying from the factory and paying Ford. They are buying the cars that will move, and they will do so as quickly as possible. Dealerships won't want to floorplan a vehicle for 6 months in an obscure and ugly color/trim/transmission combo which has a miniscule number of people who would be interested. If the mothership saddles them with a loss-leader vehicle, they will seek to include it in ANY intra-dealership stock trade.

Silver/black/white: Can be foisted off on just about anybody, they offend very few people and probably more than 90% of car buyers would say color is important, then buy whatever is on the lot....... Which happens to be silver, black or white. And drive away happy enough.

Pepper in TWO shades of silver/gray and you've doubled your target market!

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
not blown away by the colors either- dodge has done a good job of mixing in those different heritage colors every year. of course in the coming years we can bet ford will have some exciting colors and graphics packages for the bronco but i don't know why there isn't like a desert tan or olive drab green sort of color for sure. i'll still be happy no matter what this is a great vehicle. can always wrap it eventually!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a circular reference. People buy boring colors because that's what the factories make. The factories make boring colors because it's what people buy.

This logic applies to manual tranmissions also. The take rate would be higher than current numbers show.... IF .... the manual was available right there on the lot.
BUT .....since the dealer knows the take rate is higher for autos, they order ONLY autos....as in ZERO manuals.
By no means am I saying the manual would out sell the auto, not even close.......I am saying more people would pick manuals if it was an available option right there on the lot. But since none were ordered ....

For awhile, Dodge truck guys were driving HUNDREDS of miles to a certain dealer out west because they ordered TONS of manuals and therefore were about the only ones to have them. Most people won't drive two hours to save $3000 , let alone drive that far for a manual, even if that is what they prefer.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually wanted a white Mustang with the black GT perf pack 19 wheels. I think it looks sharp and don't regret that choice.
I would buy a turquoise Bronco because it's my wife's favorite color, but I'm thinking white may be best because I could put any color trim/accent stripes on it.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Allow me to chime in from my experience selling cars.

The grayscale colors are the most mild in reaction if it's not someone's ideal color choice. Like I've rarely heard "oh I can't stand a silver car, that won't work for me.". Whereas a bright red, blue, yellow, etc., definitely has a polarizing reaction.

Plus all fleet vehicles are white or silver. White is just great in hot climates. That's my biggest draw for it myself because I live in Houston.
Salesmen are always surprised when I ask if they have [vehicle] in anything that's not black, white, silver, or red

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Circular logic - THAT IS MOSTLY WHAT IS AVAILABLE ON THE LOTS. Everyone gets what is available. Most people don't pull a "me" and refuse to buy a vehicle in a color they don't like.
It's also the Leasing Effect.

Dealers don't want lessees to order something unsafe for resale.

Dealers want people to lease the guaranteed bland.
Sponsored