First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an electrician I’m shocked. You’re telling me engineers over engineered something completely illogical that couldn’t be produced when the time came?

Ford Bronco Ford has new painted MOD top supplier for Bronco after Webasto loses contract 1626911712710
Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The last batch of responses got me thinking..

I guess what I'm wondering is, if we know the design works ( because the early German Tops) then is the issue simply because Ford had unrealistic demands (like make them cheaper or make them faster) that forced corner cutting?
If this was the case, it seems it would be an easy fix. Ford has been investing millions to fix this, but still unsuccessful.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess what I'm wondering is, if we know the design works ( because the early German Tops)
apples & oranges. The early German examples were likely almost hand-crafted by Geppetto and a handful of dedicated apprentices. But the reality of mass-production produces a very different outcome

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Companies don't pay taxes, YOU DO.

Please don't spread misinformation about our economy, it's confusing to people as is.
Wait, wut??? LMFAO... Companies don't pay taxes?!?

Of course they don't, it's simply another cost center for them to bill to the customer... We get fleeced so many different ways that I can't keep track of who is pulling money out of my pocket anymore.

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Congrats to you mod top guys who are waiting. I'm just hoping ford gets Webasto to produce a decent MIC top to replace the one I'll need to file a warranty claim on. Lol.
This is my number 1 concern now. Webesto has absolutely zero incentive to improve now and neither do their employees.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Webassto link was useful, here's a blurb on the MIC roof: In addition to weighing more than 50 per cent less than steel, further advantages are the excellent 3-D moldability and good acoustic and heat-insulating properties of the material. Thanks to the low tool costs, this lightweight construction technology is particularly suitable for small or medium order volumes."
Well Aluminum is about 1/3 of the weight of steel and has plenty of useful properties... Including durability, ease of manufacturing, and can be easily coated with a variety of acoustic and heat insulating materials. So instead of trying to cross breed a truck with a glock, just make the damn top out of aluminum alloy (7075-T651 for example).

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well Aluminum is about 1/3 of the weight of steel and has plenty of useful properties... Including durability, ease of manufacturing, and can be easily coated with a variety of acoustic and heat insulating materials. So instead of trying to cross breed a truck with a glock, just make the damn top out of aluminum alloy (7075-T651 for example).
F150 roofs are aluminum. I’d 100% take a non removable aluminum hardtop bronco, sasquatched g wagon.

SasquatchBronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your mom
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's becoming obvious that the design was ambitious and difficult to produce with reliable quality. A severely constrained window to test units off the new tooling and new factory with new staff prior to launch was a magnifying glass on the problems.

Webasto's refusal to address the toxic environment and poor training is all on them, but the ask from Ford was very ambitious from the outset.

Also, for no apparent reason, greetings from Cedar Point!
Ford Bronco Ford has new painted MOD top supplier for Bronco after Webasto loses contract 1626911712710

Oh The Point! My favorite amusement park of all time! I lived in Pittsburgh for like 10 years during jr high/high school/college and would go there several times a summer.
So jealous...although I did go to Six Flags Magic Mtn here in SoCal last week.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my number 1 concern now. Webesto has absolutely zero incentive to improve now and neither do their employees.
Don't they still have the MIC contract? Do you think they want that contract pulled too? I'd say this should be highly motivating since it shows Ford is willing to pull all their contracts if they don't get their shit together before the MOD tops are up and running.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As an electrician I’m shocked. You’re telling me engineers over engineered something completely illogical that couldn’t be produced when the time came?
It could be worse. They aren't German engineers. The Mercedes headlight wipers. They kept adding moving parts until it quit moving. Then they subtracted the last change and sent it to production. Only explanation I have for stuff from Germany.

Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh The Point! My favorite amusement park of all time! I lived in Pittsburgh for like 10 years during jr high/high school/college and would go there several times a summer.
So jealous...although I did go to Six Flags Magic Mtn here in SoCal last week.
We would go every year...along with going to Boblo Island...from our home in Michigan while growing up. Epic childhood!!!!

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don't they still have the MIC contract? Do you think they want that contract pulled too? I'd say this should be highly motivating since it shows Ford is willing to pull all their contracts if they don't get their shit together before the MOD tops are up and running.
Well, from all we hear they aren’t really that sort of group. They wouldn’t address the toxic work environment on threat of losing the MOD contract. They might be happy to be out of the hard top mess at this point.
as far as the actual employees, they know they are all about to be out of a job, not exactly a reason to buckle down and focus on quality work.

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They're still making MIC tops for all Broncos. That's all Webasto will make now.

Mod top will come from someone else. Anyone know who got it?

For now i heard they lost that contract as well. I may of overheard that Ford isnt happy with them and is looking for another party to help with both MIC and MOD, this again is a rumor but i heard its Continental that will be taking over the contract

I also heard a rumor that its not a quality issue but rather an automation issue. The supplier of the equipment messed up so bad they brought in 3rd party to reprogram it and help redsign it.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For now i heard they lost that contract as well. I may of overheard that Ford isnt happy with them and is looking for another party to help with both MIC and MOD, this again is a rumor but i heard its Continental that will be taking over the contract

I also heard a rumor that its not a quality issue but rather an automation issue. The supplier of the equipment messed up so bad they brought in 3rd party to reprogram it and help redsign it.
Give us more chisme when you can!
Sponsored