rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At this point I'm thinking I'll be buying a replacement in 2028 for my four year old reservation.
you might want to put your order in now for that 2028 so you not waiting tell 2032 to get it.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

For now i heard they lost that contract as well. I may of overheard that Ford isnt happy with them and is looking for another party to help with both MIC and MOD, this again is a rumor but i heard its Continental that will be taking over the contract

I also heard a rumor that its not a quality issue but rather an automation issue. The supplier of the equipment messed up so bad they brought in 3rd party to reprogram it and help redsign it.
@Skmac thank you for the insight, regarding the "automation issue" and "redsign it" will they redo the tooling so the edges don't look like they were cut with a saw and have a more finished appearance?

I found the Continental website, no direct product information on roof systems, some on surface materials and electric controls.
https://www.continental-industry.com/en/industries/passenger-cars

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

apples & oranges. The early German examples were likely almost hand-crafted by Geppetto and a handful of dedicated apprentices. But the reality of mass-production produces a very different outcome
So it sounds like Webasto misled Ford by producing prototypes that were hand done in top quality. Ford signed off on the contract, and then Webasto discovered they couldn't mass produce them.

I wonder at what point Ford found out that Webasto was hidding things from them (or if they knew from the get go) and nobody bothered telling the rest of us until we "noticed" our Broncos were not being made.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So it sounds like Webasto misled Ford
I hear you...but if Webasto was telling fairy tales, they were telling them to a room full of adults - not toddlers. Ford has been making shit for 100 years...they full-well know the difference between a one-off and mass production. Ford took the approach of "Don't worry - Be happy", and it ended poorly for them...AND us.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Developing a second supplier is no surprise in my eyes. Just on increased volume alone Ford likely needs a backup without even considering all this marlarky.

here’s my question….

Are the worst of the MIC issues a design flaw?

If Webasto followed the spec to produce the open edges that’s on Ford.

Sponsored

HRnFW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ /
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well Aluminum is about 1/3 of the weight of steel and has plenty of useful properties... Including durability, ease of manufacturing, and can be easily coated with a variety of acoustic and heat insulating materials. So instead of trying to cross breed a truck with a glock, just make the damn top out of aluminum alloy (7075-T651 for example).
You could stamp or hydro form the aluminum top , stiffen it with a paper / polymer honeycomb layer with a polymer inner skin and it would be as stiff as you wanted , sound and thermal deadening and could be recycled into the chassis tubs for Lotus cars by gluing several layers together. The tech in the mic top is elegant but there is obviously a problem either in anticipating demand or manufacturing or both. Hopefully the Modular top will be well executed and worth waiting for but after driving the rest of the truck at off roadeo I expect it probably will be. All new vehicles have toothing problems and any complex creative process is likely to be reiterative with set backs and solutions. The problem is not that this occurred but that we all want this new Bronco so much , like what they have got right so much that it is frustrating to see it held up further. 2 sides of the same coin , high level of engagement /desirability - frustration at the ( somewhat ) inevitable set backs.

Bictatar

Wildtrak
First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Skmac thank you for the insight, regarding the "automation issue" and "redsign it" will they redo the tooling so the edges don't look like they were cut with a saw and have a more finished appearance?

I found the Continental website, no direct product information on roof systems, some on surface materials and electric controls.
The company is Continental Structural Plastics. CPS. They make all the Jeep hard tops

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The company is Continental Structural Plastics. CPS. They make all the Jeep hard tops
hmm, people have been saying Webasto makes the Jeep tops. I tried to confirm that, but never found into online to confirm or deny. Did you read somewhere that Continential makes the Jeep tops?

Bictatar

Wildtrak
First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
hmm, people have been saying Webasto makes the Jeep tops. I tried to confirm that, but never found into online to confirm or deny. Did you read somewhere that Continential makes the Jeep tops?
If you go on the website you will see a jeep in the show room. I also have a friend that works for them.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you go on the website you will see a jeep in the show room. I also have a friend that works for them.
Ok I saw some mentions of the JK top on CSP site. And read elsewhere that Meridian Automotive Systems Inc had been making Jeep tops, but they went bankrupt, and CSP took over making the tops around 2010 or possibly earlier. So CSP made a lot of JK tops and possibly is making current JL tops, didn't find mention of that though. Either way, hopefully CSP can make a good Bronco top (using a workable design).

Sponsored

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No idea not my company isnt involved with that section of the Bronco.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Webassto link was useful, here's a blurb on the MIC roof:

"Polyurethane composites consist of paper honeycombs which are covered by a mixture of polyurethane and reinforcing fibers. Thanks to its particular stability, the composite material is ideal for body shell parts of more than two square meters in size. The exterior surfaces are covered by a grained, thermoformed, weatherproof film, and the inside surfaces are flocked to match the vehicle's interior design.
I feel like raising an issue about the "paper" here is a bit of a red herring. It's like saying a house shouldn't be built from wood framing timbers because would exposed to the elements eventually rots. That the paper honeycomb is coated resolves any issue of it degrading as it might if not coated. For those who wonder why aluminum (or some other material wasn't used), check the spot price and weight for the other material. Plus, the cost of moulding the aluminum into the required pattern and issues with damage or breakage during handling would not make it ideal for this kind of mass-production.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which is interesting, because when I mentioned in another thread that the Ford guy who selected Webasto had a career-killing moment, it was suggested they were the only game in town. I'm inclined to believe that only in a highly-specialized market does there tend to be only one company capitalizing and even then, if the margins get too fat, a competitor likely sees an opportunity. It makes sense to me there is more than one company that can do a top like this. Jeep is not the only non-Bronco application for something similar-enough that there are multiple companies with the capability.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Webasto makes the Jeep (semi-permanent) automatic retracting top.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We talking about a different “Continental” maybe?

https://www.cspplastics.com/products/automotive/

Ford Bronco Ford has new painted MOD top supplier for Bronco after Webasto loses contract 1C5A1B90-D9F3-4237-AC74-3802E443D5D3

A subsidiary of

https://www.teijin.com/

Ford Bronco Ford has new painted MOD top supplier for Bronco after Webasto loses contract 008C9997-F20C-4E69-AD56-FECE9C44A2B0
Sponsored