gwiacek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex awd ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
if there is any truth to this ford should be putting a stop/ship on all MIC tops and let us people waiting on orders know whats going on. for every MIC top that makes it to a customer is a potential huge warranty return in the future when they come back with a faulty MIC top from webasto. like many have said here, give us "I owe you one MIC top at sticker price, free shipping" and ship everything with soft tops now. Otherwise it means all 2 door and 4 door orders with MIC top could get pushed to next year. We'll find out next week when they start giving VINS out again.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds decisive...we need more decisive actions.
But its Chinese build quality it has the same shelf life as the YUGO.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One of our knowledgeable members said the MOD tops are very likely SMC.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

if there is any truth to this ford should be putting a stop/ship on all MIC tops and let us people waiting on orders know whats going on. for every MIC top that makes it to a customer is a potential huge warranty return in the future when they come back with a faulty MIC top from webasto. like many have said here, give us "I owe you one MIC top at sticker price, free shipping" and ship everything with soft tops now. Otherwise it means all 2 door and 4 door orders with MIC top could get pushed to next year. We'll find out next week when they start giving VINS out again.
Some MIC tops are just fine!

Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Honestly? I think it's kind of cool that the vehicle we're all purchasing is modular enough that the thing we all need replaced can be done so easily and after we take delivery. So we can enjoy the ride and upgrade the thing later.

I dunno. Maybe that's just me being optimistic?

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was the painted top offered in the base? I don’t remember seeing it.

Tom Ryan

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honestly? I think it's kind of cool that the vehicle we're all purchasing is modular enough that the thing we all need replaced can be done so easily and after we take delivery. So we can enjoy the ride and upgrade the thing later.

I dunno. Maybe that's just me being optimistic?
You’re absolutely right.

I’m taking delivery this week and ain’t mad.

The gripes here are largely bored contagion.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

MY23... and that could get a bit tight.
Ford already has the tooling ( currently at Webasto) correct? Ford also has part of the development process completed. I’m guessing the new supplier has process experience. The unknown is what resources Ford is willing to commit for an option that 5-10% of Bronco customers ordered. Also If the long term plan is swap mic tops to the new supplier as well it muddys up the timeline.

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford will probably not make a soft top for the 2DR. It is a safety issue where I think someone said they can only sell so many soft tops and I am sure those are wrapped up in the 4DRs.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good news, if true. I have some experience with both manufacturing and contracts, and said a couple months ago Ford should cancel the Webslacko contract for "non-performance." I also said the people that think ramping up production of a simple item is difficult don't know history. In WWII most American companies were given gov contracts to change over from making typewriters to making M-1 Carbines, from plywood to making Higgins boats, from making blenders to making bombsights. It used to be standard procedure to have an item go from concept drawing to production in just a few months. What happened was....regulations and offshoring.

But a Modular top is NOT a complicated item. It's a half dozen composite shapes, with gaskets and latches. It's not a jet engine. Many aerospace or plastics companies could very quickly get these into mass production. They're going to test the MOD tops, work out the bugs this year and next spring, and have full production going when Ford said, 2023. If not sooner. Anyone (like me) that considered the MIC to be the "cheap, stop-gap top" can rest assured your soft top will let you enjoy a Bronco while waiting to snap a MOD top on it that year.

And Ford doesn't just take a chance and pick a contractor out of thin air. The require strong proposals, proof of engineering and production ability, past performance with large contracts. They'll kick Webslacko to the curb for being so hosed, and let a new company take up their niche. Competition is good....