Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Correct. Last I was told was that "the ink was drying" on the contract 3 weeks ago or so. I'm a bit surprised no specifics have been leaked out. Webasto has lost the contract for the MOD tops.
hopefully they will redesign the back glass and have it removable, or put vents in the back side windows

Caseoftexas

Outer Banks
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Other than being painted, I wonder if the mod top will be a completely different top when compared to the MIC top?
Yes, it will be very different. It will be modular.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While many people may view this as Webasto being inept at any top, it is clear that they are the furthest along when it comes to the MIC. If their QC and processes are tweaked given the feedback coming in, and they are able to concentrate on this one top type, it will eventually be the best MIC top on the market. Some of the best products come from early failures. Not trying to overextend on the mod top is in everyone's best interest.

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And Ford doesn't just take a chance and pick a contractor out of thin air. The require strong proposals, proof of engineering and production ability, past performance with large contracts.
Lol 🤦‍♂️

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Add the B47 wings that were built at KCAP and some of the machine shop tools ..... a old shaper and horz. mill are still there with the war tag on them

I'm very happy that they are sourcing the mod top and will be in line to get one asap

Last edited:

Caseoftexas

Outer Banks
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To be clear, if I get a ‘21 or ‘22 with a soft top.....these mod tops that are being made in 2023 will be for all previous model years as well...and not just 2023 model year Broncos?
The easy answer is yes, the new roofs in 2023 should be compatible with 21-22 model years. The mod roof has already been designed, proof of concepts have been built, and tooling is already made. We also know that Ford says MIC tops will be available for purchase in 2023. They wouldn’t sell people a ST with the promise that they can buy a HT in a couple years if they were going to redesign everything.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford will probably not make a soft top for the 2DR. It is a safety issue where I think someone said they can only sell so many soft tops and I am sure those are wrapped up in the 4DRs.
It's not a safety issue, its a contractual issue.

My guess is that the issue is with Bestop having exclusive rights to the 2-dr soft tops for a certain timeframe and Ford won't pay them for the tops or to alter the contact.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To be clear, if I get a ‘21 or ‘22 with a soft top.....these mod tops that are being made in 2023 will be for all previous model years as well...and not just 2023 model year Broncos?
That's what everyone expects. You think in the middle of the tops fiasco Ford will decide to change the shape and latch points of the roll bars and window frame? No, they won't do that.

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While many people may view this as Webasto being inept at any top, it is clear that they are the furthest along when it comes to the MIC. If their QC and processes are tweaked given the feedback coming in, and they are able to concentrate on this one top type, it will eventually be the best MIC top on the market. Some of the best products come from early failures. Not trying to overextend on the mod top is in everyone's best interest.
I think what happened is everyone at Ford expected Webslacko to be the best in the top business. They must have heavily weighed the Past Performance criteria for them to win the contract. Unfortunately, they have fallen flat in quality, performance, and schedule, the only three things that matter in a contract. "Furthest along" doesn't do anything with a big contract. Many DoD contracts (and automotive is about the only big manufacturing as big as DOD) have been cancelled, then given to another vendor, who does a better job.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn't be surprised if the new supplier had 15,000 tops sitting ready when the MY23 changeover happens. Ever the optimist.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Webasto has been a disaster but how do we know Ford didn't design a top that is almost impossible to mass produce without all these problems? I hope that isn't true but at this point I refuse to get a MIC top no matter who builds it and I'm waiting for the MOD. I hope I'm wrong about this but my doubts about Fords design and specs on the MIC are growing.