First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
its a hopeful sign, but most of the issues come down to time. delays along the way of development all get absorbed into the prebuild timing. Or budget lacking enough test units to test everything in the shrinking window of time, or not enough time to resolve redesigns on long lead time tools.

Itll be a miracle if they can solve the issues in a way that dont take time or money.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No war jokes?

If it wasn't a publicly traded company, they could actually focus on quality. It's always going to be a compromise and everything has a cost.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's always going to be a compromise and everything has a cost.
There is no bigger cost than defect/rework. You still spend the money, and your customers get pissed along the way.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford - where Recalls are Problem #1 ... new slogan?

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its a hopeful sign, but most of the issues come down to time. delays along the way of development all get absorbed into the prebuild timing. Or budget lacking enough test units to test everything in the shrinking window of time, or not enough time to resolve redesigns on long lead time tools.

Itll be a miracle if they can solve the issues in a way that dont take time or money.
Ford Bronco Ford hires new executive "Quality Czar" Josh Halliburton 1658011544051

You can only pick two

Sponsored

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jesus... give the guy a chance already.

While the results remain to be seen, I see this as a huge move for several reasons:

1. In even publicly acknowledging there's a problem, while everyone has seen it for quite some time, this is still a HUGE step for a major corporation to admit, as the admission will reflect ownership of several generations of bad decisions.

2. Bringing in someone from outside the company, who is not a home grown "yes man" tied to some of those earlier bad decisions gives him a little more autonomy to point them out as opposed to having to "die with the lie" or remaining married to the bad decision that burned them in the first place

3. His ties to J.D. Power brings with it a combination of knowledge of what both industry insiders AND the public both say, good and bad, which allows him to prioritize fixing things that matter to the consumers over some that might only matter to the company or to him. He likely knows he can't fix everything, but it gives him knowledge of areas to focus on as well as working knowledge of consumer forums and others like this that provide insight from OUR optic. For example, when taking on a new assignment, I sit down with my key stakeholders and ask them to identify their top three things our team or program is doing right from their optic and the top three things from their position we need to work on. In seeking the positives, I'm not looking for accolades, but more so identifying areas not to screw with, even if I personally may not like them.... basically don't f**k with something that is working. Getting their feedback across the board, especially on the improvement areas you start seeing common trends from various mission partners that tells you what to work on first.

So yes, in a sense, it is a PR move. But isn't everything? One of the biggest issues to fix is trust, and PR, to include reporting on the bad goes a long way toward that. Think of it like a sports team hiring a new coach... the ultimate goal is to win, but making the change is fundamental PR from the start.

Give him a chance and lets see how he does. Then bash him or commend him as necessary. You may disagree with the change, but it's a good start.

Last edited:

MIBronco21

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Quality Guru is a 1990s bandaid. Next step will probably be ZD (Zero Defect) Days & a few banners for the plants
I have a friend who currently works for a different automaker. He says they are bringing a lot of the manufacturing process and some of the parts they used to rely on from tier 1 suppliers, back in house. Said it is to improve quality and also to have more control over the supply chain and timing. They are also hiring people away from other companies as well. Sounds like Ford isn’t the only company who is focusing on improving quality

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This decision tells me that no one at Ford has ever read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a friend who currently works for a different automaker. He says they are bringing a lot of the manufacturing process and some of the parts they used to rely on from tier 1 suppliers, back in house. Said it is to improve quality and also to have more control over the supply chain and timing. They are also hiring people away from other companies as well. Sounds like Ford isn’t the only company who is focusing on improving quality
That’s awesome to hear across the board. It’s sad when we often think of reliable vehicles mostly coming from overseas ie Honda and Toyota, even Kia recently with 100k mile warranties. I certainly would like to see ford and Chevy at the forefront of quality.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think B6G should band together and see if we can @Cat hired as VP of quality 😂
I would take that job in a heartbeat, too. I love turning companies around.

Sponsored

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford should have never stopped using the practices they gained from Edward Deming back in the 80’s. He was the master at quality. Deming made the Japanese manufacturers what they are today. I think they stopped using his practices because he pointed out that most of the problems were with management!

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agree, that data analysis is key, but I just don't see the lineage from J.D. Powers to the actual engineering disciplines that build "quality" into the product at the design level both in the product and the manufacturing level. Deming preached statistically monitoring (measuring) the process rather than the end product. J.D Power seems to measure the end-result. I just don't see how what J.D. Power does as a data analysis firm translates into product quality within the manufacturing art.

It would be interesting to have @Cat chime in on this...
Hi!

Deming revolutionized Japanese automotive companies because Detroit wouldn't listen to him. Hence, the late 70's and 80s saw a loss in American made automobiles.

@Shamus McGee is spot-on...measure the process for variation, and reduce/eliminate the variation. Customer Satisfaction is a welcomed by-product of a repeatable and stout process.

Companies who include every discipline in the design process (can the design be properly sourced, planned in sequence, properly built, inspected, and, does it meet the Customer's requirements) typically have higher up-front costs, but lower rework and higher Customer Satisfaction.

B6g members have provided sheaths of issues, written letters to the Ford Execs, provided Quality and Delivery issues directly to MAP, offered to hold weekly mtgs to share pictures and issues, and have a wealth of knowledge within various threads. This forum is a rich, rich source of continuous improvement opportunities.

Seems untapped. What a shame.

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hiring anyone off this forum would have been a plus for Ford. Don't need to spend $500K in salary to figure out hard plastic is cheap and looks like crap.

Reactions: Cat

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it anything like Halliburton in the oilfield, I’m glad I already have my Bronco.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.