Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford has hired a new executive director of quality, Josh Halliburton, in a newly created position under CEO Jim Farley.

This story seems to have gone under the radar until this week when Ford has been making the press with a number of personnel changes. This is great news, Jeep did the same thing back in 2014 with the quality having attained joke status. Over the last few years reviews point to improved quality at Jeep so I'm hopeful Ford can achieve the same kind of turnaround.

Ford Quality Issues Now Being Tackled By Former J.D. Power Executive

Ford Bronco, Ranger Plant Manager No Longer With Company

'Black eye for the company': How Ford is fixing spate of quality problems

Ford Vows to Clean Up Quality as Recalls Hit Hard
This is really good to see.
Sponsored

4runner

Outer Banks
First Name
4runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Its disappointing that while the bronco is a really fun and exciting car, its still got the soul of an American Junker Car ! I mean come on these issues can all be solved, its carelessness and not paying attention to the customer, leading to egregious issues yet easy to prevent in the first place. Putting on a bumper straight ... making sure hoses don't disconnect ... really basic things ! We destroyed Japans car making abilities they bounced back and beat us ! 4Runner ! Get clues !

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe he'll be the guy that follows the paper trail from the warranty work. This by far, has to be the easiest and most direct path back to any issue in any product line. They are visibly failing at this. They keep turning out products with the same issues year after year across product lines. Start by fixing what is broken and leave what isn't broken alone.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I see this all the time and it's across all industry's short sided bottom line and kick the can down the road. Never ever works. You pay for that short sightedness.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
J.D. Power is a SHAM .
Name sounds good to many people.
Their business model is all about "Stroking" the narrative.

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hiring anyone off this forum would have been a plus for Ford. Don't need to spend $500K in salary to figure out hard plastic is cheap and looks like crap.
They hired me over 30 years ago and wouldn't listen to me.
So..... I gave up.:p

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford is back baby after this hire . Ford is on there way to being #1 quality company building quality Vehicles.

• Haha
Reactions: jon

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope he can come in and do some real change for the better.
It really does start from the top down, and I sincerely hope he has the "buy-in" and commitment of support to do what needs to be done. As well as the authority and freedom to revamp/refresh/reinvent processes. Too often I've seen efforts like this fail long term. In the short term everyone is on board and acknowledges there are issues and gaps.

The issue comes in when upper management is not keen on changing their status quo, changing processes due to investment/line impacts while implementing, or the person who spearheaded all of the change leaves the position and it is up to the company to continue the amended efforts.

As a man who has been in Manufacturing his whole adult life and currently is a Plant Manager, I've seen the impact of a lot of different systems, lack of systems, and the wide vision it takes to continue gained ground once the new wears off and the fervor for change is complacent.

Several proven systems work, some more so in theory, some are tried-and-true results-getters.
Just a few heavy hitters on the list to do some research on if you have time and are interested:
Six Sigma
Toyota Production System
Lean Manufacturing (tied into that dreaded JIT inventory skeleton in the closet)
And even true auditing to continue an ISO certification.
A good read as far as books go is "All that matters about Quality I learned in Joe's Garage". It's a bit of a dry read at the start, but if you make it through the first few chapters it does draw you in to see how it ends up. 160 pages, so a decently-quick read.

All of the above systems that I have been a part of have some very good points. Some of the places I have been try and adopt only piecemeal parts of them and it never works out.

Why?

The first answer is each is a system. No one part is a good stand-alone without the other parts as supporting or preceding components of the whole. Sure some parts of Six Sigma are budget-draining and seem non value added. But it builds on the foundation of the entire system. Same with the others. There is investment of funds, effort, and time that has to happen, and there is no way around it if one ever intends on any of it sticking and working.

Which leads to the 2nd answer-commitment.
If you choose one or more of the paths to really investing in quality focus, you have to know going in it is not going to be easy, cheap, or overnight. If bean-counters alone are in charge, it will never work. If floor-focused management is eager and willing but there is no top-level support or financial support, it will never work. Processes, parts, work flow, manpower, job instructions will all be affected and upended short-term. Your daily rate WILL take a hit, at first.
What you should see given time to work, is the ship righting itself and production flow increase all while having more repetitive, conforming parts flow down the line. But before all of that happens there is a large amount of data to collect and use.

Which is the 3rd answer-collecting and utilizing the data.
Data is only as good as how it is collected and utilized. You can self-audit and have supervisory and even 3rd party audit all day. If the data collected never gets used to identify weak links and implement change, it is all wasted time, money, and effort.

Stuff needs to get PFMEA treatment. Every weak link identified needs to be 5-why'ed to death until you get to the root. And sometimes the root cause of an issue is self-inflicted. You have to be open minded enough to weather a bit of truth and be committed to real, sustained change.

Having hundreds or thousands of parts coming in from the lowest bidder and anticipating 100% first-pass quality yield, on time, is insanity. Bean counters will factor in the risk of failure vs. the cash outlay, and this is dangerous when money people primarily hold the reins.
Rework is 100% right off the bottom line. Recalls are 100% right off the bottom line.
When dealing with a company that has millions of customers and deals in volume, the impacts hide themselves and seem unimportant for a while. The impact is absorbed and ignored.
But regardless, any company that values its name, customer base, and reputation needs to understand that customers will pay for a lot of things. But footing the bill or bearing the burden of poor quality/rework/recall is not one of them that will be sustainable long-term.

Market share is one of the things that is easiest to lose, hardest to regain.

I sincerely root for this guy and hope he can make sustained change that outlasts his tenure.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford is back baby after this hire . Ford is on there way to being #1 quality company building quality Vehicles.
After you read @broadicustomworks excellent post above it may be time to calibrate your expectations. Simply hiring someone does not make the needed structure and systemic changes within a company to improve product quality. It will take years to see if this works and see if it sticks.

It will take 1 - 2 years to see if the Production Quality coming out of the factory is indeed improving.

It will take 2 - 3 years to see if the Engineering Design improves and flows through to improved Product Quality and Customer Satisfaction.

It will take 3 - 5 years to see if the Quality Improvements can be sustained with continuous delivery of Quality Vehicles and reduced Warranty Claims.

Change is hard, cultural change is harder, structure and systemic change that last, even harder.

Just hiring someone does not make change or improve Product Quality! Ford is a long, long way from claiming to be #1.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A Quality Guru is a 1990s bandaid. Next step will probably be ZD (Zero Defect) Days & a few banners for the plants
You don't think it's about time for Six Sigma and Kaizen? (The latter which is also known as The Toyota Way)

Personally I prefer the 5 member team that builds an entire vehicle, introduced by Volvo decades ago and probably abandoned by now

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I stand corrected, Ford wasn’t vertically integrated 💯 %, but they were light years more integrated than today’s OEM’s. I think Tesla is probably is probably the best example of a modern day vertically integrated manufacturer. Even still, they’ve had their own quality problems. VI doesn’t guarantee top quality, great engineering and critical inspection will probably deliver better results.

I agree. I was kind of surprised when they reintroduced the Bronco with seven different variants. KISS: keep it simple stupid.
What? They produce their own batteries and motors and body shells but they do not, unless I am wrong, have their own ranch for leather interiors or soybean farms for plastics.

If an OEM builds their own frame, body, powerplant, driveline that's about it. No manufacturer today can afford to buy up the great North woods for lumber for car bodies like Henry

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quality director.......One guy does not have the capacity to deal with all of the areas the system breaks down. So much of this is not just one thing but more of a function of stacked issues. Right now, the biggest issue, IMO, is initial engineering both mechanical and software. Ford has tons of designs that are proven both out of the gate and refinement over time due to poor initial design. Why can't they recycle

Quality in assembly is a completely different animal and a lot of that is controlled by the union. Some plants are notorious for shitty assembly (Chicago) but the majority are great. I think this comes down to the simple question of giving a shit about your job. Final QC is not indicative of the whole job but they are responsible of finding the stuff the customers see and make sure it's corrected before it's released.

If the new QC czar doesn't have the authority to make changes on the fly and have to report back to a group, it's worthless. See the problem, talk to those involved in creating or fixing the problem and DO SOMETHING right or wrong. Looking ahead, if Ford's master plan is to reduce it's dealers, initial delivery of a problem free/mostly free vehicle is critical. Can't be putting out crap that has to be fixed while on the transport to the dealer.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wonder if Josh Halliburton's first move will be to fire Jim Farley?
No kidding. I was really worried when I was hearing Farley making his priority “share price.” All it takes is a look at the history of Ford to realize almost every disastrous decision that was ever made to damage the brand was motivated by share price. That’s just using Ford as a case study; shall we look into what happened when McDonald-Douglass execs ascended to the top of Boeing? 737 MAX was a share price driven airplane, that put the share price at Boeing on sale. I suspect Farley is having similar issues.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What? They (tesla) produce their own batteries and motors and body shells
There's a big advantage to horizontal integration for batteries...is this a picture of our EV future?

FL customer spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought....had the car for six months before it began giving issues and the dashboard was flashing symbols.

...eventually found out that the car's battery would need to be replaced. The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000, according to the news outlet.

...found out that there weren't any batteries of that type available anymore because the Ford model is discontinued.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
By hiring a JD Power exec, Farley’s primary goal is to influence MARKETING more than quality.

Remember that Farley came up through the ranks as CMO (Chief Marketing Officer). I am suspect this new hire will truly change the quality. Farley needs to tell Wall St something about he is addressing the issue.
As a Ford Motor Co veteran. I nearly spit coffee across the room when I read this. Ford has cost cut it’s way into this mess and adding another suit with a title that includes the word “quality” is a certain sign no one has a bloody clue. Farley came from Toyota/ Lexus, he SHOULD, but this indicates the problem is bigger than we knew. Dr Deming laughs again! (When do we look at Bill Ford? Oh, never, eh?)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.