First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No kidding. I was really worried when I was hearing Farley making his priority “share price.” All it takes is a look at the history of Ford to realize almost every disastrous decision that was ever made to damage the brand was motivated by share price. That’s just using Ford as a case study; shall we look into what happened when McDonald-Douglass execs ascended to the top of Boeing? 737 MAX was a share price driven airplane, that put the share price at Boeing on sale. I suspect Farley is having similar issues.
Jac Nasser’s (predictably) disastrous tenure as CEO included the exhortation to improve something called “Shareholder Value.’ Not long after steering wheels were literally falling off. All that slogan meant was “cut costs.” The result was near bankruptcy by 2004. I often wonder if Ford can ever fix itself.
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stand corrected, Ford wasn’t vertically integrated 💯 %, but they were light years more integrated than today’s OEM’s. I think Tesla is probably is probably the best example of a modern day vertically integrated manufacturer. Even still, they’ve had their own quality problems. VI doesn’t guarantee top quality, great engineering and critical inspection will probably deliver better results.

I agree. I was kind of surprised when they reintroduced the Bronco with seven different variants. KISS: keep it simple stupid.
VI is too difficult for an automotive company these days. It would be way too difficult for any car company to keep up on the tech side without outsourcing high tech components.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There's a big advantage to horizontal integration for batteries...is this a picture of our EV future?

FL customer spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought....had the car for six months before it began giving issues and the dashboard was flashing symbols.

...eventually found out that the car's battery would need to be replaced. The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000, according to the news outlet.

...found out that there weren't any batteries of that type available anymore because the Ford model is discontinued.
See, there's the basic problem with ev batteries that are not all of a standard size or voltage. The battery packs are designed to fit the nooks and crannies of each manufacturer's own platform and there is no interchange among brands. And quite possibly cannot even be easily removed from vehicle without $10,000 for labor and just $4,000 for the battery itself. Certainly when the vehicle is headed for scrap the batteries have to come out prior to the crusher

It is not so bad when you can't use an Ego 56v in a Ryobi that takes a 40v or a Dewalt in a Hitachi as most handheld device batteries cost less than $100 (although the 56v in my Ego zero turn are about $300 each and a total of 6)

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"His specialty is in process quality improvement, and he's helped overhaul processes at more than 100 plants around the world. In his new role, Halliburton is tasked with implementing a strategy to improve quality across Ford."

PROCESS QUALITY.

Not, marketing. Using data he has overhauled more than 100 plants. That's not marketing, I don't care what you think you know about JD Power, but it doesn't sound like you've studied or worked in process improvement.

Or reading comprehension. Did you even look up the guy or just run with JD Powers?
Ford Bronco Ford hires new executive "Quality Czar" Josh Halliburton 1081fbf587ca9584778335b69a34dd36

xpathf1nderx

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wish this had happend 2 years ago. I have 2 - 2021 Fords, and the 2022 bronco, all 3 have numerous recalls and warranty issues, all of which are back logged months. My sons 2013 ford focus has the infamous TCM issue that they are 52000 backordered with no ETA.
I am a Ford fanboy, but my God this is annoying. Starting to regret spending the $190k last year on new cars.

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hate to say this but many of the Bronco errors simply should have been caught by quality control. Someone or some group is not doing their job. Unfortunately, as it is with the federal government, no one ever gets fired or reassisigned to a different job. Accountability is quality control!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate to say this but many of the Bronco errors simply should have been caught by quality control. Someone or some group is not doing their job. Unfortunately, as it is with the federal government, no one ever gets fired or reassisigned to a different job. Accountability is quality control!
FYI, the MAP plant manager just got fired 6 days ago…

I work there. He definitely got fired. Walked out after 24 years. He started on the line and worked his way up. This is a wake up call for all of us who work at MAP. If the Plant Manager can get walked out, anyone can. This is a message that I'm sure corporate wanted to make very clear, which is why they handled his termination in this manner

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Wish this had happend 2 years ago. I have 2 - 2021 Fords, and the 2022 bronco, all 3 have numerous recalls and warranty issues, all of which are back logged months. My sons 2013 ford focus has the infamous TCM issue that they are 52000 backordered with no ETA.
I am a Ford fanboy, but my God this is annoying. Starting to regret spending the $190k last year on new cars.
Apologies to Albert Einstein for modifying his statement:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results,”
“The definition of insanity is giving Ford money over and over again and expecting different results,”
Why did Ford not care to fix Quality in the past? They knew the Ford fanboys would keep opening their wallet and buy whatever Ford produced, regardless of lack of quality, as your story shows.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

more job cuts at Ford

Ford Plans Up to 8,000 Job Cuts to Help Fund EV Investment
-- 20 July 2022 -- by Keith Naughton and Edward Ludlow
  • Reductions seen coming from unit producing gas-fueled models
  • CEO has said Ford profit hampered by having ‘too many people’

Ford Motor Co. is preparing to cut as many as 8,000 jobs in the coming weeks as the automaker tries to boost profits to fund its push into the electric-vehicle market, according to people familiar with the plan.

The eliminations will come in the newly created Ford Blue unit responsible for producing internal combustion engine vehicles, as well as other salaried operations throughout the company, said the people, who asked not to be identified revealing internal discussions. The plan has not yet been finalized and details could still change.

The move would mark a significant step in Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley’s plan to cut $3 billion of costs by 2026. He has said he wants to transform Ford Blue into “the profit and cash engine for the entire enterprise.” In March, Farley radically restructured Ford, cleaving its carmaking in two by creating the “Model e” unit to scale up EV offerings and “Ford Blue” to focus on traditional gas burners like the Bronco sport-utility vehicle.
Somehow, I think Josh Halliburton just got kneecaped.

Updated conversation with Jim Farley and Josh Halliburton:

Jim Farley: Josh, we've decided we need to cutback in the BLUE ICE division, there dinosaurs and getting phased out anyhow.

Josh Halliburton: Ah, Jim, I thought you hired me to improve quality, reliability and reduce warranty costs?

Jim Farley: Yes, yes, of course, you represent a great figurehead we can tell Wall St. about all the great things your going to do. Besides, the Ford fanbois will buy anything we produce, regardless of lack of quality or reliability.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For example, Farley looks at the market for pickup-trucks - and sees no EV's on the market - so his little lightbulb turns on, he thinks ' Hey, the market's wide-open for EV pickups ! ! ! ! ! ! ! '
NO EV pick-trucks? What are the Rivians that I'm seeing a couple of times a week? What about the Cyber Truck from Tesla, while not on the market yet, they have thousands of reservations... The same reservation model that Ford is trying to copy. Speaking of Ford, what about the F150 Lightning and the fact that Ford can't produce enough them due to high demand during supply shortage?

Those trucks are bad-ass, if I was still in the mountains I'd want one to use as a pick-up truck doing all the normal mountain hauling, AND IT CAN POWER MY HOME during a power outage and we had way too many of them.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

NO EV pick-trucks? What are the Rivians that I'm seeing a couple of times a week? What about the Cyber Truck from Tesla, while not on the market yet, they have thousands of reservations... The same reservation model that Ford is trying to copy. Speaking of Ford, what about the F150 Lightning and the fact that Ford can't produce enough them due to high demand during supply shortage?

Those trucks are bad-ass, if I was still in the mountains I'd want one to use as a pick-up truck doing all the normal mountain hauling, AND IT CAN POWER MY HOME during a power outage and we had way too many of them.
I can definitely imagine an EV Bronco, with a giant YETI cooler where the engine now resides. EV's are a blast to drive! It's only a matter of time before the ICE will be retired.

Last edited:

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

yes but how many years since Ford began the Lightning project ?
- how many EV pickups were on the market back then ?
- and you're talking sort of fringe brands of pickups
Everything gotta start somewhere, and it's not only fringe, both of the other "big three" have plans and already have something hybrid with plans to increase the EV side; it's all developing, even Jeep Wrangler has gone hybrid, stepping stones to the full EV.

The new owner of my old mountain home, immediately updated the breaker box, and ran the power for a fast charging station close to 200 feet from the box at the rear of the home; digging a trench the whole way (not cheap) down to the motorcycle/snowblower garage because he gets a premium on it as a rental home. He wouldn't have invested a lot of money if there wasn't a demand AND a good return on investment; too difficult and costly up there in the rocky uneven terrain.

He "bent my ear" on his MO and plans, he owns more than six vacation rentals and have been adding more; he's done it to all of them. Funny thing he's using monies from a family business that is becoming harder to keep margins up and in this ever changing world he wants to diversify out of it; and he's taking a large portion of those profits and investing in EV on all of his rentals.

Toyota's new Tundra is a hybrid with plans to go farther. Ford and GM announce full electric by 2035 and that'll be here sooner than later in development years. Living where I used to live I was doubtful about the speed in which it was suppose to happen, now that I'm down here I see it happening faster than I thought it would.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

EV's: ' A Con Job '

In April, AEG released its annual report analyzing the real world costs of vehicle ownership, comparing EVs to gasoline-powered cars. The report concluded that traditional mid-priced 2021 cars have a cost advantage over mid-priced EVs after factoring in electricity costs, charging equipment costs, road taxes and "deadhead miles," the distance consumers need to travel to remote charging stations.

" We systematically researched the entire industry — who buys cars, where they're built, how much they cost, what segments they're in and what consumers do with them, " said Patrick Anderson, the founder of Michigan-based Anderson Economic Group (AEG). " Our research shows that a lot of Americans have been given a false impression about EVs. "

. . For example, the 2022 Chevy Bolt referenced by Buttigieg costs $26,595 and has a range of 259 miles while the traditional engine 2022 Chevy Spark costs $14,595 and has a range of 297 miles, according to company data.

" Customers are clever enough to figure this out despite the snow job from the electric vehicle promoters and people like Secretary Buttigieg, " Myron Ebell, the director of the Competitive Enterprise Institute's Center for Energy and Environment, told FOX Business in an interview.

" It's really kind of a con job, " Ebell said. " It may be a good deal for some people in some places under some circumstances. But by-and-large right now, it's not a good deal. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

more in dense population centers the EV logistics could make some sense for some drivers it could be more convenient

Energy conservation doesn't fly. Consider the energy consumed cradle-to-grave, ICE consumes less total energy - e.g. power grid efficiency about 30%, battery & charger efficiencies, battery replacements, and so on

Green argument doesn't fly. 70% of U.S. elec from fossil fuels - another 20% nuclear

Ford is trying to make EV's in some models which were desirable as ICE drive, e.g. Mustang, F-150. When drivers have some experience w the new BEV models then the years will tell if they are still desirable as EV's
Not everyone wants to drive a Bolt.

I understand your feelings, but is that going to keep it from happening? It's not just about the energy cost, ask people who have owned and driven a really fast EV with all the fun stuff and most don't want to go back to an ICE.

When the ICE came out it wasn't the cheapest, or the simplest to live with and operate, but technology prevailed and it became cheaper, much faster AND WAY EASIER TO OWN AND OPERATE.

EV is getting better, faster, and that's how technology works. In the EV's case the "well to do" are buying a large majority the EVs for all of the other advantages, that just goes along with the the performance advantages.

Powering ones home in a rural area with weather related power outages, and with the cheapest gas being 18 miles away, it would have been a double win for me and worth the extra money.

No generator or fuel to expire, there are many reasons tech will win out in the long run. Give me a solar home with a Tesla "Battery wall" and a F150 EV and I'm set for many years before (at my age) I have to worry about it; all while NOT driving 18 miles to a gas station.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He looks like meathead from All in The Family.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.