Sponsored

Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great!

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I haven't seen this exact combo posted so I figured I would share since it's pretty slick. This is a 1up hitch extender mounted in the deeper of the two hole options. The end of the extender doesn't stick out past the 35" tire. I inserted the 1up 2" super duty rack so there are a few mm of clearance from the tire when folded. I marked that point with painters tape to insure adequate insertion. 1up says it must be inserted 2" past the expander ball and this is 2 1/2" of insertion. With the rack in this position I can fit my XXL mountain bike on the inner tray with XTR trail pedals and there is no interference with the tire. To my amazement this set-up also allowed me to open the swing gate on the Bronco with the bike removed and the 1up rack tilted down. There is very little clearance, but it works perfectly. It seems like this set-up would also work with 37" tires, but wouldn't allow the gate to open. I may roll with this set-up for awhile before determining if I also want a Kuat Pivot V2. I like the simplicity of this set-up though. One other thing worth mentioning is that the 1up lock for the hitch extender is tough to get the key in place. It works with a single key on my Ford factory hitch since I don't have the wiring harness in place and I can position my fingers to turn the key. This might not work with the wiring harness. Happy trails!

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! hitchextender

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! insertiondepth
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! depth
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! foldedrack
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! bikesid
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! rackback
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! gateopen2
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

awesome, saved me some cash. was going to get the swing arm attachment but this is better. gonna have to get a second lock for the extender though.

quick q, does it make it far enough so you can put a pin in the extender? it's a must for me for security and when hauling 4x bikes.

OP
OP
U725Bronco

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

awesome, saved me some cash. was going to get the swing arm attachment but this is better. gonna have to get a second lock for the extender though.

quick q, does it make it far enough so you can put a pin in the extender? it's a must for me for security and when hauling 4x bikes.
I used this hitch extender:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-extender-2in/

and it comes with the lock. The pin also threads in to minimize movement. I'll probably throw a cable lock around the bike, through the rack and to the Ford hitch when in transit.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
U725Bronco

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just reread your question and realize you were asking about a pin in the extender....yes, it fits with this 1up rack. I was just too lazy to install it for the photo.

Sponsored
OP
OP
U725Bronco

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

nice, can you fit a pin through the extender hole and the hitch?
Yes, with the newer 1up racks. The older 1up racks didn't have the slot for the pin, but the new ones do.

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't seen this exact combo posted so I figured I would share since it's pretty slick. This is a 1up hitch extender mounted in the deeper of the two hole options. The end of the extender doesn't stick out past the 35" tire. I inserted the 1up 2" super duty rack so there are a few mm of clearance from the tire when folded. I marked that point with painters tape to insure adequate insertion. 1up says it must be inserted 2" past the expander ball and this is 2 1/2" of insertion. With the rack in this position I can fit my XXL mountain bike on the inner tray with XTR trail pedals and there is no interference with the tire. To my amazement this set-up also allowed me to open the swing gate on the Bronco with the bike removed and the 1up rack tilted down. There is very little clearance, but it works perfectly. It seems like this set-up would also work with 37" tires, but wouldn't allow the gate to open. I may roll with this set-up for awhile before determining if I also want a Kuat Pivot V2. I like the simplicity of this set-up though. One other thing worth mentioning is that the 1up lock for the hitch extender is tough to get the key in place. It works with a single key on my Ford factory hitch since I don't have the wiring harness in place and I can position my fingers to turn the key. This might not work with the wiring harness. Happy trails!

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! gateopen2

Do you think this extender would be sturdy enough to support a 4 tray bike rack?

OP
OP
U725Bronco

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you think this extender would be sturdy enough to support a 4 tray bike rack?
I think so. This is a very beefy extender. The limiting factor is probably the weight limit on your 4 bike tray.

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think so. This is a very beefy extender. The limiting factor is probably the weight limit on your 4 bike tray.
Thanks for the feedback.

At this point I only have a dual tray for mine and my wives bike. However, my kids are now on bikes that would necessitate moving to a 4 place tray. Just getting into the market for one, but need to do some research whether it would be worth it for the Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
U725Bronco

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for the feedback.

At this point I only have a dual tray for mine and my wives bike. However, my kids are now on bikes that would necessitate moving to a 4 place tray. Just getting into the market for one, but need to do some research whether it would be worth it for the Bronco.
It's definitely not the cheapest way to do it, but you could get the exact same set-up I listed here, then add a couple single tray add ons from 1up. You could then decide if you mount 2, 3 or 4 trays depending on how many people are biking.

Chelada

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used this hitch extender:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-extender-2in/

and it comes with the lock. The pin also threads in to minimize movement. I'll probably throw a cable lock around the bike, through the rack and to the Ford hitch when in transit.
Does your camera get blocked with the rack folded up? If it does I'm considering getting the Kuat Hi Lo extender. The 1Up extender would be nice since they can key both locks the same.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does your camera get blocked with the rack folded up? If it does I'm considering getting the Kuat Hi Lo extender. The 1Up extender would be nice since they can key both locks the same.
yes, usable but about 30% blocked on the bottom. actually thinking about a rc or 4wp tire relocation kit. moves it up about 2.5", may help view and if/when i get some bigger tires.

BroncoDEPR

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im running the same set up with 3 full suspension bikes on a Badlands On 35’s currently with no issues. 4 bikes shouldnt be a problem. .
Sponsored