Sponsored

Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great!

ladeda

Big Bend
First Name
Lara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven't seen this exact combo posted so I figured I would share since it's pretty slick. This is a 1up hitch extender mounted in the deeper of the two hole options. The end of the extender doesn't stick out past the 35" tire. I inserted the 1up 2" super duty rack so there are a few mm of clearance from the tire when folded. I marked that point with painters tape to insure adequate insertion. 1up says it must be inserted 2" past the expander ball and this is 2 1/2" of insertion. With the rack in this position I can fit my XXL mountain bike on the inner tray with XTR trail pedals and there is no interference with the tire. To my amazement this set-up also allowed me to open the swing gate on the Bronco with the bike removed and the 1up rack tilted down. There is very little clearance, but it works perfectly. It seems like this set-up would also work with 37" tires, but wouldn't allow the gate to open. I may roll with this set-up for awhile before determining if I also want a Kuat Pivot V2. I like the simplicity of this set-up though. One other thing worth mentioning is that the 1up lock for the hitch extender is tough to get the key in place. It works with a single key on my Ford factory hitch since I don't have the wiring harness in place and I can position my fingers to turn the key. This might not work with the wiring harness. Happy trails!

hitchextender.jpeg

insertiondepth.jpeg
depth.jpeg
foldedrack.jpeg
bikeside.jpeg
rackback.jpeg
gateopen2.jpeg
Sponsored

ladeda

Big Bend
First Name
Lara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is so helpful! Just ordered my 1Up Rack and extender! Really appreciate the recommendations! That Yakima rack on the Ford website wasn't doing it for me.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for this post, I had ordered my rack and didn't get the extender. I found alternates online for cheaper. But after seeing yours, I placed that overpriced chunk of metal in my cart and pulled the trigger.

BTW,
Do you have the annoying rear obstacle alarm backing up with this in the up position?

as such.

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! 1653747856866

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nvm. Found out for my self!
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! FA77193F-AB3B-44B5-82A7-C028E1057E74
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! B2AD62CE-AB67-4B88-8826-13B63D92C637
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! CA70E388-488F-4A0F-BC47-6E8FEB413E83

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does the rack have much free play when used with the extender? I'm worried the extra piece will add more slop to the system and I'm already extremely sensitive about racks bouncing around on the back.

Sponsored

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
FYI the make a part so the rack will sit below the tire so you can fully open the door with the rack in the flat position.
Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! 7574A6C6-10B1-4077-AF0C-96DB2F23D5A5

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! 35AA4B5A-9D1E-4B07-BB18-107919BBABC3

Igotsoul4u

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak, Mercedes GLC43
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This thread is great. Seems like the perfect solution to for my Wildtrak. Need the tail get to open and this seems to do it. Any issue with it banging into the tire when folded up? Is the standard OEM ford hitch the best option or would something else be better?

meredithmegan

Outer Banks
First Name
meredith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't seen this exact combo posted so I figured I would share since it's pretty slick. This is a 1up hitch extender mounted in the deeper of the two hole options. The end of the extender doesn't stick out past the 35" tire. I inserted the 1up 2" super duty rack so there are a few mm of clearance from the tire when folded. I marked that point with painters tape to insure adequate insertion. 1up says it must be inserted 2" past the expander ball and this is 2 1/2" of insertion. With the rack in this position I can fit my XXL mountain bike on the inner tray with XTR trail pedals and there is no interference with the tire. To my amazement this set-up also allowed me to open the swing gate on the Bronco with the bike removed and the 1up rack tilted down. There is very little clearance, but it works perfectly. It seems like this set-up would also work with 37" tires, but wouldn't allow the gate to open. I may roll with this set-up for awhile before determining if I also want a Kuat Pivot V2. I like the simplicity of this set-up though. One other thing worth mentioning is that the 1up lock for the hitch extender is tough to get the key in place. It works with a single key on my Ford factory hitch since I don't have the wiring harness in place and I can position my fingers to turn the key. This might not work with the wiring harness. Happy trails!

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! 35AA4B5A-9D1E-4B07-BB18-107919BBABC3

nice! I just got my 1up rack this past weekend. I installed a nice Curt class 3 hitch and I definitely want an extender. I’m just going to buy one from Amazon since I need it by Friday, but do you have any suggestions on a locking hitch pin for it?

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does the rack have much free play when used with the extender? I'm worried the extra piece will add more slop to the system and I'm already extremely sensitive about racks bouncing around on the back.
Can someone with this set up comment on the above question? thanks

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! IMG_3800

I’m so confused how your guys seem to clear yet my tire just barely gets hung up on the side plate as shown. I have a curt hitch - maybe it mounts higher than the ford hitch? Bizarre

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Ford hitch, 1up bike rack, 1up extender, Sasquatch - works great! IMG_3800

I’m so confused how your guys seem to clear yet my tire just barely gets hung up on the side plate as shown. I have a curt hitch - maybe it mounts higher than the ford hitch? Bizarre
I'm wondering this too.....basically I want the Heavy Duty Single mount with extender, but want to be able to open the tailgate without the swing arm when the bike is not loaded (Sasquatch 2 door), I'd be buying the Curt hitch as well.

Solidmuse

Big Bend
First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Sonic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check out these images from above. Looks like they make some end plates that can be swapped out to lower the rack.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...squatch-works-great.32960/page-2#post-1788790
Yeah, that looks like it's with the swing. I don't know, I haven't had any issues just loading the bike into the cargo with no rear seats (front wheel off). I might just keep rolling with that, secure, no issues, can still go 4 wheeling if I want on a bike trip.

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I filed down the point of interference by about 1/2”. Sounds like a hack job but it actually came out nicely and there is still plenty of engagement. To be honest, though, it’s a pain to get into the trunk when the rack is attached (ie in the way) anyway so although you can technically open the gate a swing arm may be in order if you really want to get into the trunk
Sponsored