Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So they re used Maverick, they brought back the Tremor package which I only knew it as a audio package on the Ranger, it could have been something before. They reused lightning (while I love the second gen lightning, it is a pretty damn good EV name....)
Is this Ford being smart or cheap reusing nameplates?
Both?
Sponsored

BroncoMike75

Big Bend
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and a 1967 Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would have to say that a least it somewhat resembles a Ford pickup. The Ranger looks like a Toyota Tacoma. I think more people would buy this over the Ranger. If you need more power and size, might as well step up to the F150. Here is a ranger next to my F150. Not that much different in size.

Resized_Resized_20210308_121122.jpeg

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they re used Maverick, they brought back the Tremor package which I only knew it as a audio package on the Ranger, it could have been something before. They reused lightning (while I love the second gen lightning, it is a pretty damn good EV name....)
Is this Ford being smart or cheap reusing nameplates?
Nostalgia and brand/nameplate recognition.
All the fancy names makes it more enticing, more intriguing, more "I gotta go ahead and spring for the Tremor/Squatch/Platinum/Lariat/SVT/Mach _. It is better than the others and it is upscale, and it will help the value, and, and , and"
If they entice just a miniscule percentage of buyers who recognize (insert recycled nameplate) and attach some sentimental/nostalgic/brand-loyal association with it, then it has paid for itself already and the rest is cash in the bank.

Granted, you said above the Lightning is a no-brainer name for the EV. I tend to agree.
Although in my nostalgic senses a Lightning is the SVT badass Metallica-listening bad apple older Cousin to the F150. And when we saw them back when they were that, we stopped and gawked, wished for it and inside promised ourselves "One day..."

The Maverick to me is precisely what MaverickMan has. It's that performance bridge between the Pinto and the Mustang that with a 302 (or larger) and a very low, uneven exhaust note under the hood, will embarrass you at a stoplight.

But such is life.
If I were in the market for an EV truck, I'd definitely be pining for the Lightning.
If I were wanting two new cars and wanted something efficient, nimble, easy to drive, put some stuff in the bed and drive it to keep miles off my Bronco, I'd be reserving one of these ugly Mavericks and hoping the styling would grow on me as I owned it. Truthfully that's what happened with my '19 Z71. I hated the front end at first.
And roast me at the stake if you will, but it still looked better than the F150 (and for sure the Dodge) equivalent in 2019...to me anything other than the 2015 era Raptor front end is a step back. That was a design masterpiece.
No hard feelings toward FoMoCo for the badging.
If it brings cash to the bank, have at it, boys and girls.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

R

Really for what it is its nice and could maybe see one in a possible future, but no the fwd means I would always be pissed when working on it. If I didnt get the awd it wpould never make it out of my valley. Atleast now without Jeremy Clarkson behind the wheel.

Really my only gripe with Ford offering a small truck is that they called it a Maverick!
Ford Bronco Ford Maverick Pickup Revealed! Standard Hybrid, 40MPG City, Under $20k Starting Price! Resized_Resized_20210308_121122

Ford Bronco Ford Maverick Pickup Revealed! Standard Hybrid, 40MPG City, Under $20k Starting Price! Resized_Resized_20210308_121122

Anybody looking for a lil rake?
My step-brother inherited my grandfather's mint (literally green)Maverick. My step-bro used it though high-school and took it to college where is was street parked on the the streets of New Haven. It eventually accumulated enough parking tickets and it was towed. He scraped up enough change to pay the fines. Unfortunately when he got to the impound yard they had parked the Maverick next to a pile of crushed car that fell over and crushed the Mav. Poor car didn't deserve that fate.:cry:

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the ranger looks like a space egg, I don't see tacoma in it because of the tall bedsides and overall height. The tacoma is a short looking body on giraffe legs. This maverick looks like an old ranger mixed with a ridgeline. That Santa Fe pickup is going to have a run for it's money.

I'll say it again, I like it. I hope people buy it and enjoy it. If it were awd and a hybrid, wow. I hope that is down the road.
The Santa Cruz reported 23 MPG average and we don't know pricing yet (as far as I'm aware), but I can't imagine it'd be significantly lower than the Maverick (at best price competitive), so unless the Santa Cruz is just significantly better comfort, ride quality, reliability than the Maverick I don't see how it's not a complete beatdown by the Maverick on ~2X the mpg alone. I'm sure the Santa Cruz will have it's fans and looks wise they are definitely two very distinct looks with the Maverick trying to look more truck-like the Santa Cruz looking more crossover/car like.

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Santa Cruz reported 23 MPG average and we don't know pricing yet (as far as I'm aware), but I can't imagine it'd be significantly lower than the Maverick (at best price competitive), so unless the Santa Cruz is just significantly better comfort, ride quality, reliability than the Maverick I don't see how it's not a complete beatdown by the Maverick on ~2X the mpg alone. I'm sure the Santa Cruz will have it's fans and looks wise they are definitely two very distinct looks with the Maverick trying to look more truck-like the Santa Cruz looking more crossover/car like.
Wow so for once a domestic undercuts a foreign with a cheaper and more fuel efficient option!!

I literally would drive anything from a Subaru Baja to a Ford f550, but I know plenty of people who shit on trucks like the Tacoma and Colorado because they aren’t full size, I can’t imagine the guff Maverick owners will get!

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just look at all those cupholders!!!!

In all sincerity these things are gonna sell like hotcakes.
Not the biggest, meanest, off-road looking, king-of-the-hill looking truck but:
-It is fuel efficient.
-You can haul a decent amount of stuff that most semi-suburb and suburb people really only need when hauling a couple of bikes, a short kayak, a few bags of mulch or lumber enough to build a doghouse or project, garage sale stuff, ball game stuff.
-It seats 5 (vs 3 in a pinch in the older single cab Ranger).
-easy to park, maneuver, drive
-surprisingly low starting MSRP.

It's not my style, not what I like, but to be completely objective, it's a brilliant move for a niche market where it will sell, and sell quickly.
Get a reasonably capable small pickup at the price point it's gonna be at?
Yeah, good move, Ford.
I doubted the need/styling/market for it initially a few months back...but not after seeing the reveal and thinking outside of my personal uses/likes/affinity.

It's not gonna sell to the people who want the status symbol.
It's not gonna sell to the ranch owner who needs capacity.
It's not gonna sell to the hardcore 4X4 crowd.

-But it is gonna sell to that "quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot" crowd.
-It's gonna sell to that "I need a truck to haul gardening supplies" crowd.
-It's gonna sell to the "I need a place to easily cart my bike/Kayak/camping /fishing gear and don't want to mess with the SUV and taking the wheels off/leaving the hatch open for the kayak" crowd.
-It's gonna sell for that College-bound young adult who needs a dependable, fuel-efficient vehicle to cart all their loads o' crap around.
-It's gonna sell for that new, dependable first-car crowd.

TL/DR:
Not for big ole' truck peeps, "keeping up with the Jones'" peeps, but for a lot of others.
Big, decisive move by Ford and will sell a shi*-ton of them.
It's also going to sell to the Mini Truck and customization and sound system crowd. The Base model still gets the 8 inch apple car play touch screen and many people will buy this and use the stock steel wheels in the winter time with snow tires and throw a set of 20 inch wheels with low profile tire on for the rest of the year.

A 40 mpg mini truck for $20k is a huge win. A lot of people thought the Ford Ranger should be this like it use to be in the 90s. Instead the Ranger bloated to almost a full size truck.

So many people need a truck but don't have the room for the giant behemoths that rule the truck world or nor can they afford the gas mileage as a their main daily driver to work everyday. Now they can buy this and get great gas mileage and have a bed to haul stuff. So many people with cars or SUVs wish they had a truck bed.

BroncoMike75

Big Bend
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and a 1967 Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think the ranger looks like a space egg, I don't see tacoma in it because of the tall bedsides and overall height. The tacoma is a short looking body on giraffe legs. This maverick looks like an old ranger mixed with a ridgeline. That Santa Fe pickup is going to have a run for it's money.

I'll say it again, I like it. I hope people buy it and enjoy it. If it were awd and a hybrid, wow. I hope that is down the road.

Don't disagree!!! Except I think the Ranger is like the Tacoma. The front ends are too close to the same shape.

tacoma v rangerfr.jpg

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow so for once a domestic undercuts a foreign with a cheaper and more fuel efficient option!!

I literally would drive anything from a Subaru Baja to a Ford f550, but I know plenty of people who shit on trucks like the Tacoma and Colorado because they aren’t full size, I can’t imagine the guff Maverick owners will get!
I think the target market for the Maverick are people (like me) who don't care one bit for the opinion of "truck people". I currently drive a Fiat 500 and work at a manufacturing plant in a rural community regularly. I get so much shit from the production people there about it, but eh it's all just ribbing and easy to take in stride. Drive something you like and enjoy and it becomes pretty easy to not worry about other opinions.

Side-note, I'd be very down for a Subaru Baja revival. It was just too ahead of its time.

Sponsored

zilstershiner

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler, 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t want a Maverick, but I almost feel like I need one. It’s ridiculous just how perfectly this fits with everything that I need a vehicle for, and nothing that I don’t.

I spend the vast majority of my driving time in the city, but I also need something that has more capability than a car, and that can fit camping gear and 10 foot fishing rods, and occasionally haul furniture or mulch or whatnot. I don’t need to tow, so a full sized truck is complete overkill for me. I currently drive a 2012 Nissan Frontier, which works great for everything utility-wise, but I am ready for something more modern with a few more creature comforts.

That being said, I am still sticking with my Bronco order. It’s not the vehicle that I need, but it is the vehicle that I want.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd definitely get a Subaru Baja if it were reintroduced.

I'm actually leaning towards a Maverick since even with AWD it's less expensive than a two door base, and Area 51 is available on the XL.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a business owner this is a promising fleet vehicle.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a business owner this is a promising fleet vehicle.
I thought the same thing. Repair technicians, home inspectors, public works employees ... there are a lot of people who currently are underserved by a Ford Escape or overpaying (upfront and ongoing) for the capability of an F150 or Ranger.

The fact that it's a hybrid could grease the internal wheels for purchase approvals too.
Sponsored