Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First off, a yuppie wouldn’t be riding around in a 15 year old Ranger. Secondly, times have changed, and most pickups have a minimum 7,000lb towing capacity these days.

People buy these smaller pickups, just so they can say they have a pickup truck. When in reality, a smaller SUV or crossover would get the same job done, more efficiently. It’s an ego thing.

The only benefit I see to the Maverick would be the starting price. But just like the Bronco, let’s see if that ends up being true.
Idk man I think it's nice having choice
By your logic there should be only large pickups, corollas, and corvettes on the road. Nothing in between

This certainly fills a niche and at that price point it'll turn the heads of those who would like a truck but simply don't want all that size and low gas mileage that comes with a large truck

But hey I'm categorized as a yuppie so maybe my opinion doesn't mean much haha
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is no point in having a pickup truck this small. At this size, you might as well get a smaller SUV or crossover. The Maverick is for all the yuppies that want to tell themselves they own a pickup truck.

Maverick is to Ranger, what Bronco Sport is to Bronco. Except at least the Sport makes sense.
my man, it's too early in the morning to be drinking.

time to lay off the sauce

Uintafly

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I could get the AWD version with the hybrid, I’d reserve today. I currently daily drive my 13 Tundra with 100k miles. And while I have a very shot commute, I’d be all over the 40 mpg with the ability to still make Home Depot trips. I sold my travel trailer last year and really have no need to tow any longer, but I’d havea hard time living without a truck bed.

But I need a vehicle that does good in snow and 2wd won’t cut it.

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Call me crazy but I think it’s awesome! If I weren’t already full in on the Bronco I might consider this. Would be great to haul hiking and camping gear up the mountain and the fuel efficiency is also a perk! I also think it’s a nice looking vehicle to boot.

Sponsored

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• All-new Ford Maverick is the first standard full-hybrid pickup in America and the most fuel-efficient truck on the market with a targeted EPA-estimated rating of 40 mpg in the city*; while its compact size makes it easy to maneuver and park, there’s room for five adults and plenty of storage space
Oh, wow, that's pretty rad. But the thing I'm really looking at is:

• The Maverick FLEXBED™ system provides organization and cargo solutions to fit owners’ lifestyles, with a multi-position tailgate, slots to use lumber to subdivide the bed, 12 available anchor points, two 12-volt 20-amp prewired sources at the back enabling DIY electrical solutions, plus two available 110-volt outlets for powering a laptop or tailgate party
Having this system in a midsize really ticks off a few boxes for me.

A little confused about the target market though.
"A little confused" is the target market.

I guess it's just another Escape, padding the EPA numbers and taking money from Subaru.

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like it a lot better than I thought I would. I thought the small bed would be a turn-off, but Ford is so smart to 'flex' so it can carry a 4X8 plywood. Better than an SUV i think - people need to both haul from Home Depot and haul to the Dump. For value - it's a home run. You could buy a base squatch for a weekend toy and a nicely optioned Maverick for a DD for not too much more than a a fully optioned Wildtrak or Badlands. Hmmm...

jevus2006

Outer Banks
First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Libre DL
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tempted but some of the tech seems old already. I'll keep waiting for my 2 Dr Bronco and maybe get the Maverick for wife by getting rid of the Escape when the 2nd gen is released.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just reserved one... I think it will be a great addition to my work fleet
Man I just clicked on that link, that is a pretty cool freaking little vehicle! I don’t know why people are whining?
(they always do though!) And I think it looks great for a little unibody truck!!!
Is the future folks face it!!!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is knocking it out of the park (Bronco delay's not withstanding). This Maverick fills a niche very well. I'm no fan of CVT transmissions, but for a 40mpg hybrid at 20k???? Why not? I personally wouldn't upgrade to the 2.0 EB because it's not a hybrid and I've already got a fuel inefficient truck. This would make a great daily to save wear/tear and gas for my Tundra. I might just have to pick one up as I wait for the Bronco, then sell it to Carvana for more than I paid next year LOL

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree it’s going to sell! I’m just saying that’s because all these urbanites want to claim they drive a pickup truck. That’s the market.
What people do you know that think driving a pickup is a status issue? Those people will buy a Raptor, not any pickup like a Maverick.
It looks like Ford will sell these like hot cakes to people who know what their use needs are.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is no point in having a pickup truck this small. At this size, you might as well get a smaller SUV or crossover. The Maverick is for all the yuppies that want to tell themselves they own a pickup truck.
I want to get an engine from the junkyard and load it into my vehicle with a forklift. Can't do that with an SUV. I literally did this last month.

I want to drive down to the city maintenance yard and load up my bed full of free wood chips. Can't do that with an SUV, at least not one that you care about.

I want to tow my 3200lb car with a 750lb dolly. Most small SUVs top out at 2000lb towing, most midsize SUVs (and the Bronco LOL) top out at 3500lb. For more than that you're probably into a giant 3-row SUV or something large and RWD-based like a Grand Cherokee.

I want to take my family camping with my tent, coolers, tubs, cooking supplies, bikes, etc. The Bronco Sport offers 32 ft3 of cargo space. Hope you're okay sleeping out under the stars and eating MREs because space is tiiight. The Maverick has oodles more cargo space in the bed than any small SUV, and great for handling dirty camping stuff.

I want to go grab a stack of 4x8 sheets of drywall and plywood for a home improvement job. What small SUV/crossover can fit a stack of 4x8 anything? Like...none of them. The Bronco Sport's tailgate opening is 43" wide. You'll have to annoy your pickup-owning friend and get him to help you out yet again.

I want to grab that lawn mower or BBQ grill or motorcycle off of Craigslist and drag it home. Good luck squeezing those in your Kia Sportage.

All of the above are common, valid use cases for a vehicle with a bed over a small SUV. Couple the above (minus the towing) with 40mpg city and a $20k starting price and you can literally throw away every other small crossover out there. Highlander Hybrid starts at $38k. RAV4 Hybrid starts at $27k. CRV hybrid starts at $30k. Crosstrek hybrid starts at $35k. Kia Niro hybrid starts at $25k.

Maverick starts at $20,000. WHAT???

People buy these smaller pickups, just so they can say they have a pickup truck. When in reality, a smaller SUV or crossover would get the same job done, more efficiently. It’s an ego thing.
Yeah? A lot of those small SUVs and crossovers getting 40mpg city?

People with an ego don't "settle" for a small truck, especially since the compact trucks cost basically the same as half tons. If someone has an ego, they're going minimum half ton for sure. Ford sold 100,000 Rangers last year and 700,000 F-SERIES TRUCKS. The average Ranger sells for $38k where the F-150 starts at $27k.

Vehicles like the Maverick are for people who know exactly how much truck they need. And with the Maverick's pricing so incredibly low it's an awesome option for people that need "just enough" truck.

chowfun27

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Considering a Prius/Insight start at ~$25k, this thing is a bargain. It will not suite everyone's needs but fit's into the trend of more active lifestyles and is going to sell well. As someone who grew up around Chicago, I can really see the appeal of having a small truck.