First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After seeing threads on the forum about the new soft top scratching the paint on the roll bars I purchased clear paint protective film from XPEL. We put the soft top down to get ready to apply the film when we saw that Ford modified the soft top and put into place felt pads at a number of locations where the soft top could possibly make contact with the roll bar. I just received my vehicle late last week and the build date was July 12th or 13th. I will take photos next time I have the top down.

Also, when taking the top down with two people it is pretty easy to avoid contact with the roll bar, it went down and up easily. I would probably only do this with two people.

Awesome job Ford listening to the customers on the Forum!

I still plan on applying the film for extra protection around the roll bars.
IMG-0770.jpg
Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is interesting.

Unfortunately I didn't take pics, but:
I think the demos that my dealer has also has this "fix" in place. There was some felt applied to a few areas on the support structure of the soft tops plus some plastic tubing applied. What was interesting is that this "fix" was only about 90% effective. It seemed to prevent scratches down to the metal, but the roll bars were still visibly "scuffed" where the material was making contact with the bar.

Having said that, I think the OP is right that you'll still want to apply some extra film on the bars as well.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I still plan on applying the film for extra protection around the roll bars.
Ford Bronco Ford modified soft top to prevent paint scratching roll bar IMG-0770
Yeah - that felt may come off someday unnoticed, and the PPF will give you a warning.

Your furry friend is ready to go have fun!

Sponsored

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is interesting.

Unfortunately I didn't take pics, but:
I think the demos that my dealer has also has this "fix" in place. There was some felt applied to a few areas on the support structure of the soft tops plus some plastic tubing applied. What was interesting is that this "fix" was only about 90% effective. It seemed to prevent scratches down to the metal, but the roll bars were still visibly "scuffed" where the material was making contact with the bar.
Having said that, I think the OP is right that you'll still want to apply some extra film on the bars as well.
I wonder if there will be an aftermarket roll bar cover similar to what Wranglers had prior to the JL and JLU. If they do, Iā€™d probably buy the covers šŸ˜

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if there will be an aftermarket roll bar cover similar to what Wranglers had prior to the JL and JLU. If they do, Iā€™d probably buy the covers šŸ˜
I like the "naked" roll bars. I think all it would take is a 3-4" wide piece of clear protective tape wrapped around the bar to complete the fix.

Sponsored

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like the "naked" roll bars. I think all it would take is a 3-4" wide piece of clear protective tape wrapped around the bar to complete the fix.
Yeah,
But Iā€™d think tape would wear out very quickly. I think the naked bars are cool for sure. I wonder if there is something like linex that can be put on that is color matched or close that could protect those areas.

I dunno, but definitely donā€™t like the idea of scratching up new paint.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had already bought some felt tape to address this....Oh well I can beef it up more.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Ford modified soft top to prevent paint scratching roll bar 1628530218468
Sponsored