First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Curious if anyone else is having this issue with @Ford Motor Company. I've posted a few messages regarding my APIM needing replacement with less than 300 miles on my FE. My Sync screen is black, no cameras, music, etc. Over the past few weeks, (3) different people from Ford's Social Media Team reached out - all asking for the same information which I've provided each time. In all cases, they said someone from Ford would get in touch with me in (1) business day and that never happened.

I continue to hear that the APIM is on backorder with no expected delivery date. I called Ford customer service and of course they cited "the chip shortage". What I don't understand is that these APIM's are being installed in vehicles every day on the assembly line so they do exist. Does anyone have any ideas who I can escalate this to so that I can get some real help?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume you have already spoken to you dealer? Usually warranty and repairs are driven through your dealer... shouldn't require any work on your part unless your dealer is just inept.

And spare parts are in short supply because any spares they have are actively being installed in Broncos on the assembly line. There are still day 1 reservation holders without vehicles and they have completely maxed out their supply chains, so it isn't like they have a bunch of spare Bronco components sitting on a shelf in a warehouse.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you tried resetting the APIM module using Forscan? Are any DTC's being shown?

OP
OP

Kcmiller

First Edition
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I assume you have already spoken to you dealer? Usually warranty and repairs are driven through your dealer... shouldn't require any work on your part unless your dealer is just inept.

And spare parts are in short supply because any spares they have are actively being installed in Broncos on the assembly line. There are still day 1 reservation holders without vehicles and they have completely maxed out their supply chains, so it isn't like they have a bunch of spare Bronco components sitting on a shelf in a warehouse.
Yes, the vehicle has been to the dealer; they are the ones that told me the APIM needs to be replaced. Really unfortunate to have a vehicle with less than 300 miles in this condition. And I was a Day 1 reservation, waited about 18 months and now I am dealing with this issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kcmiller

First Edition
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Yes, the vehicle has been to the dealer; they are the ones that told me the APIM needs to be replaced. Really unfortunate to have a vehicle with less than 300 miles in this condition. And I was a Day 1 reservation, waited about 18 months and now I am dealing with this issue.

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called Ford customer service and of course they cited "the chip shortage". What I don't understand is that these APIM's are being installed in vehicles every day on the assembly line so they do exist.
How do you know that? We know there are lots of vehicles being pushed to temporary storage (Ice mountain) for on site repairs. These vehicles seem to be able to be driven under there own power. We're told that lots of the delivery delays is for "chip shortage".

Ford doesn't directly install chips into a vehicle. They install electronic modules built generally by other suppliers at off site locations. And here's the rub. There just aren't all that many modules that without the vehicle won't run. Engine/powertrain/fuel module is absolutely needed (although it would be possible to shuttle those boxes between vehicles, but that would be UGLY in the engineering details...)

More likely there are shortages in other modules, those not required to move a vehicle (between Factory and Ice Mountain in a convoy).

Audio / Entertainment
Cluster
Trailer Tow
ABS Brakes
Perhaps Others (Body module), etc...

And obviously I'm just guessing here. But you have to ask yourself the question.. which is more likely: That Ford Motor is deliberately trying to make your life difficult or that there are significant issues in the supply train affecting all Bronco customers.

If I had to guess, I'd guess the key chip issue is with the module you are also having trouble with.
I'm not saying this is right. We're all affected. You have a Bronco in your garage you can't enjoy. I have a Bronco on Order I'm not going to see soon. We're all in this together.

And hey, what is an APIM module? Possible to get you to define all abbreviations when first used? thanks.

OP
OP

Kcmiller

First Edition
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
DM me your VIN.
How do you know that? We know there are lots of vehicles being pushed to temporary storage (Ice mountain) for on site repairs. These vehicles seem to be able to be driven under there own power. We're told that lots of the delivery delays is for "chip shortage".

Ford doesn't directly install chips into a vehicle. They install electronic modules built generally by other suppliers at off site locations. And here's the rub. There just aren't all that many modules that without the vehicle won't run. Engine/powertrain/fuel module is absolutely needed (although it would be possible to shuttle those boxes between vehicles, but that would be UGLY in the engineering details...)

More likely there are shortages in other modules, those not required to move a vehicle (between Factory and Ice Mountain in a convoy).

Audio / Entertainment
Cluster
Trailer Tow
ABS Brakes
Perhaps Others (Body module), etc...

And obviously I'm just guessing here. But you have to ask yourself the question.. which is more likely: That Ford Motor is deliberately trying to make your life difficult or that there are significant issues in the supply train affecting all Bronco customers.

If I had to guess, I'd guess the key chip issue is with the module you are also having trouble with.
I'm not saying this is right. We're all affected. You have a Bronco in your garage you can't enjoy. I have a Bronco on Order I'm not going to see soon. We're all in this together.
Not sure I completley agree. My dealer has Broncos sitting on their lot, available and for sale with working Sync 4 systems. If Ford really wanted to resolve this they could take the APIM out of one of ther demo/mannequin vehicles so that I could enjoy mine. Point is there are other options that exist.

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please remind me again what is an APIM? Note, some of these modules include security interlocks. Once started up, they don't play nice when swapped into an other vehicle. (I know the cluster works this way...)

So you want the dealer to place a $50,000 inventory item on no sale status, so you can have yours? I hear you. Good point, but put yourself in the shoes of the dealership. They didn't cause the issue, Ford supply chain owns that. Perhaps you could rent one of those vehicle from your dealer, pay the dealer's carrying cost and overhead as a rental fee, guarantee zero mileage on the vehicle, until the new module is delivered? (I can't believe I even wrote this.. its a very far out there idea with zero practicality for anybody...)

But isn't placing X,000 vehicles in Ice Mountain EXACTLY the same thing as you are asking? Give the high demand module to users pronto, by taking it away from vehicles built but not yet delivered to dealers?

I feel your pain. You are not alone here.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kcmiller

First Edition
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Please remind me again what is an APIM? Note, some of these modules include security interlocks. Once started up, they don't play nice when swapped into an other vehicle. (I know the cluster works this way...)

So you want the dealer to place a $50,000 inventory item on no sale status, so you can have yours? I hear you. Good point, but put yourself in the shoes of the dealership. They didn't cause the issue, Ford supply chain owns that. Perhaps you could rent one of those vehicle from your dealer, pay the dealer's carrying cost and overhead as a rental fee, guarantee zero mileage on the vehicle, until the new module is delivered? (I can't believe I even wrote this.. its a very far out there idea with zero practicality for anybody...)

But isn't placing X,000 vehicles in Ice Mountain EXACTLY the same thing as you are asking? Give the high demand module to users pronto, by taking it away from vehicles built but not yet delivered to dealers?

I feel your pain. You are not alone here.
The biggest difference between my vehicle and Ice Mountain is that those owners haven't paid yet. I paid for my Bronco, added it to my insurance, and Ford and the dealer collected the money. I've got a vehicle with less than 300 miles that won't function correctly. The other point you are missing, like others at Ford, is that I can't get an ETA for when the part will be delivered. How does that make sense? I understand the supply chain issues but the communication and transparency from Ford leaves a lot to be desired.

J.C.

Big Bend
First Name
J.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The biggest difference between my vehicle and Ice Mountain is that those owners haven't paid yet. I paid for my Bronco, added it to my insurance, and Ford and the dealer collected the money. I've got a vehicle with less than 300 miles that won't function correctly. The other point you are missing, like others at Ford, is that I can't get an ETA for when the part will be delivered. How does that make sense? I understand the supply chain issues but the communication and transparency from Ford leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm right there with ya. Been waiting on my APIM since literally 3 hours after I owned the Bronco. It crapped out 3 hours and only 124 miles after I picked it up back in November.

OP
OP

Kcmiller

First Edition
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm right there with ya. Been waiting on my APIM since literally 3 hours after I owned the Bronco. It crapped out 3 hours and only 124 miles after I picked it up back in November.
Unreal. What are you hearing on timelines?

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Unreal. What are you hearing on timelines?
Same issue on first edition been waiting forever dealer keep saying can not order part because it does not show yet available to order and to wait - been 6 months

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes that sucks for everyone 100%
With that said you bought a 1st run model, if you didn't think there would be design flaws your where wrong, always hiccups with new models and that's in good times not the shit show we are currently living in. Yes I know this isn't helping fix anything but you guys need to keep things in perspective. Hope they get you all sorted out sooner then later
Sponsored