Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All of this offroad stuff is to fill niches and conquest other OEMs. So far, 60% of Bronco Sport sales have been conquests. The Explorer Timberline is trying to do the same thing. They want to peel away Jeep and Subaru buyers while having Ford households buy a second offroad focused Ford.

Bronco, Bronco Sport, and Explorer buyers are all different buyers. They may be in the same household, but they are different buyers. I can buy a 2-door Bronco because my wife wants to drive an Aviator. I would never consider a Bronco Sport. I would consider an Explorer Timberline if my wife drove something besides are medium to large crossover.
Sponsored

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't really see this competing against the Bronco Sport, but more with the Bronco. Its not that much bigger. The tow rating is higher, I know a lot of people want to tow something bigger. They both use the same 2.3 engine, but the Explorer has 300 hp vs 270 hp. Maybe the Explorer might check more boxes for some than the Bronco.
It competes with the Bronco like the Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with the Wrangler. There is plenty of room for both to move 150k+ units a year.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They are completely different vehicles. I have a 2020 Explorer, had and escape before that. Not even comparable. Like comparing a Mustang and a Fusion. Just because they both have 20" wheels and a manual does not make them competitors.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the day day we find out MAP is about to go on a 2 week shut-down, Ford has announced Explore will compete against the Bronco Sport. Feels like they are spreading their models thin vs consolidating. Why release the Sport and confuse the public about the Bronco if they were going with a 4 wheel Explorer? https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/for...erline-as-it-expands-off-road-suv-lineup.html
Just because Ford puts a little more off-road cred in the Explorer doesn't mean it is competing with itself. If anything, Bronco buyers might cross-shop the Explorer if they feel they need more space (like a third row) and not so much off-road capability.

You have to look at this as filling every possible size and price point in the SUV spectrum:

EcoSport - SubCompact
Escape - Compact
Bronco Sport - Compact with more off-road style/features
Edge - Midsize
Bronco - Midsize with off-road features
Explorer - Midsize/Full Size
Expedition Full/Xl Size

And now:
Mach-E - Electric Midsize

Plus, don't forget all the Lincoln versions. The Ford plan is, "If you have between $20K and $100K+ to buy an SUV that seats 4-8 people, we have a vehicle for you."

Last edited:

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Timberline, F-150 Tremor good luck as of now these are web fantasy vehicles.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

While the segments may overlap, I think there is going to be some niche marketing for the Explorer.

However, they are far from the same vehicle. Even though they will both have 4x4, the interior comfort and capabilities will be different in key ways.

The Explorer may be taking the place of the Expedition as the new "Family Travel" vehicle. Being able to tow and haul a lot of passengers.
You quoted me, referencing my post, which was about the Bronco, clearly stated.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know, Ford is turning a crossover (explorer) into an “adventure trim”?

insert all the Outback hate here

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the day day we find out MAP is about to go on a 2 week shut-down, Ford has announced Explore will compete against the Bronco Sport. Feels like they are spreading their models thin vs consolidating. Why release the Sport and confuse the public about the Bronco if they were going with a 4 wheel Explorer? https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/for...erline-as-it-expands-off-road-suv-lineup.html
Ford is not competing against itself. Bronco Sport and Explorer are in 2 totally different sectors of the Crossover market for Ford.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey guys, remember me? Not kidding, after abandoning my dreams of a Bronco after seeing it in NJ about a week ago, I gave up, did some shopping around, and signed on the papers for an Explorer Platinum on Monday night.

And now this thing is announced today. FML! https://tflcar.com/2021/05/2021-ford-explorer-timberline-reveal/

I found the GREEN that we all were looking for on the Bronco, plus the TOWING CAPCITY, plus the INTERIOR SPACE that was the break-it moment for me on the Bronco. Yes, I understand that this new Timberline Explorer will not be nearly as off-road worthy as a Bronco, but it's still a decent venture. Except that I am now obligated on an AWD Platinum that does NOT have the Torsen limited-slip differential.

Ain't that some shit? :)

Oh well, I am still happy just to be alive, employed and healthy. And I look forward to receiving my Platinum Explorer in 2-3 months.

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure how you draw the conclusion it is competing against the Sport. Explorer is larger than a Bronco, and WAY larger than a Sport.
Explorer is to Bronco as Grand Cherokee is to Wrangler. They have separate audiences

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They are completely different vehicles. I have a 2020 Explorer, had and escape before that. Not even comparable. Like comparing a Mustang and a Fusion. Just because they both have 20" wheels and a manual does not make them competitors.
Sorry which two have manuals?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Explorer is to Bronco as Grand Cherokee is to Wrangler. They have separate audiences
I am the perfect example of that different audience. I had to give up on the Bronco when I saw it in person and realized that it would not fit my family needs. While I didn't get a Timberline, that's because it wasn't available two days ago. (Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?!)

I will say that I was pretty impressed with the interior of the Explorer. It's a hell of a lot bigger than the inside of a Grand Cherokee. I think the interior fit and finish is also better in the Explorer.

Seeing this Explorer Timberline vehicle makes me happy. I was wondering how in the hell could Ford fail to fill this market niche? I now realize that they were working on it, and only finally made the announcement once I said, "F-it, I'm outta here." They said, "Oh, wait, MacHudson is serious, release the Timberline!" :cool:

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco was replaced by the Explorer.
Sounds like Ford has an internal pool running on who will win and prove the original decision to drop the Bronco correct. I hope that the Bronco and Explorer can coexist in separate market spaces.

Memo to Ford:
It's Bronco vs Wrangler, not Explorer.
It's Bronco vs Outback, not Explorer.

Maybe they'll get the memo.
I am sure they can exist and will not effect each other much. They are built for different purposes. If the old Explorers were around it would be more of an issue.

For this reason I have to disagree with your Bronco vs Outback. Explorer vs Outback would be more correct. Bronco vs 4Runner not Explorer would be correct. Look at the vehicles and the outback is not even close to a Bronco. Nor is the outback trying to be a true off roading vehicle. Outback is an adventure vehicle. Sport vs Outback may be a better comparison then an explorer.