Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST 2020
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I followed the thread where someone trimmed the flaps to fit their rock rails and figured it would work on the steps too. Apologies in advance because I didn’t plan on making a post so the pics are all after installing.

It’s not complicated. Just measure/template over and over and over before sweating profusely and making a cut. I used a dremel with cutting wheel and it worked fine. Cut a little at a time because you can’t actually measure exactly where you need your cut when the step is holding the flap off of where it actually mounts. Also measure each side independently. We tried to shortcut by mirroring the passenger side to the driver and it is not even close.

The rears need to have the top 3 holes redrilled or oblonged on the flap so they line up with the existing holes in the bumper. The bottom 2 need new holes drilled or punched in the bumper. I was able to get it done with the tire on by punching a hole and running one of the original self tapping screws from the mini flap but should have just taken them off.

This isn’t a permanent solution for us but it keeps the paint protected until a nice aftermarket solution comes out.

E7909371-7386-4418-95FA-C87E41673A07.jpeg

357C23BC-E124-40AC-AA22-568F9A690B38.jpeg

1D475551-5C3A-44B2-8C8B-B6AC9FEC0C7D.jpeg

350B8652-F4B0-4FCF-892E-7701C5403822.jpeg

98919227-7884-4D9C-8643-BDA231ACF1BE.jpeg

9FA1BC1B-44CC-45EB-8B61-333828B33CD3.jpeg

D6325B52-F679-4406-A0E9-ADD356ED066F.jpeg
Hi did you remove the little filler piece from the rear bumper or you did not have it to start with?
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps Plastic piece
Sponsored

OP
OP

OBSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi did you remove the little filler piece from the rear bumper or you did not have it to start with?
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps Plastic piece
I did remove it but on the OBX with plastic rear bumper it is actually just a tiny flat piece of plastic screwed into the bumper, not a molded piece that follows lines. I threw it away and didn’t grab a picture, oops. The 3 screw holes it left are the ones I re-drilled the flap to line up with.

ExJeePowner

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I followed the thread where someone trimmed the flaps to fit their rock rails and figured it would work on the steps too. Apologies in advance because I didn’t plan on making a post so the pics are all after installing.

It’s not complicated. Just measure/template over and over and over before sweating profusely and making a cut. I used a dremel with cutting wheel and it worked fine. Cut a little at a time because you can’t actually measure exactly where you need your cut when the step is holding the flap off of where it actually mounts. Also measure each side independently. We tried to shortcut by mirroring the passenger side to the driver and it is not even close.

The rears need to have the top 3 holes redrilled or oblonged on the flap so they line up with the existing holes in the bumper. The bottom 2 need new holes drilled or punched in the bumper. I was able to get it done with the tire on by punching a hole and running one of the original self tapping screws from the mini flap but should have just taken them off.

This isn’t a permanent solution for us but it keeps the paint protected until a nice aftermarket solution comes out.

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. Now all I need is the Bronco. I'm gonna go by that old saying, measure twice..cut once. But I think I will measure 31.5 times and cut once. Looks good though

OP
OP

OBSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine just came in the mail yesterday. Now all I need is the Bronco. I'm gonna go by that old saying, measure twice..cut once. But I think I will measure 31.5 times and cut once. Looks good though
After you have it in front of you I think you’ll also decide to measure 31.5 times and still cut 31.5 times. More like shaving than cutting. Unless you have an AutoCAD brain, which I do not.

There’s just no way to measure all the arcs/angles you need to cut and even though there’s 2 static mounting points you can’t really put the flap there until the hole for the step is cut all the way….at which point it’s too late to adjust it if it’s too big. There’s so much flex and it’s so far away from the mounting points that we had 4 different tracings for the first cuts. After it’s there you can mark the angle to cut along the upper edge to follow the flare but you wouldn’t want to cut that until you’ve got the step hole cut and everything lined up first.

If you do find a great way to measure and make it perfect with one cut please post it and make me feel dumb so everyone can point and laugh and have better looking flaps than me.

Sponsored

marcacier

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST 2020
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did remove it but on the OBX with plastic rear bumper it is actually just a tiny flat piece of plastic screwed into the bumper, not a molded piece that follows lines. I threw it away and didn’t grab a picture, oops. The 3 screw holes it left are the ones I re-drilled the flap to line up with.
Thanks for the info !

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How can the technical experts at Ford not work this out so that the customers don’t have to cut up their new mud flaps when they are supposed to be designed ‘for’ the Bronco!

Looks like they need to mold a recessed portion to allow the side step to rest in there instead of it being an actual hole. Come on Ford!

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did mine today and I have the same large endcaps. Removed them by pulling 3 white clips, popping fender flares off, & popping bumper corner top plastic up to disengage endcap. Used scratch awl to mark where to cut, then cut with sharp utility knife. Drilled 5, 1/8" holes for self tapping screws.
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_130556

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_130611
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_125123

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_125225
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_130137
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_131519
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_131251
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_131304

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_131328
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_131313

OP
OP

OBSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did mine today and I have the same large endcaps. Removed them by pulling 3 white clips, popping fender flares off, & popping bumper corner top plastic up to disengage endcap. Used scratch awl to mark where to cut, then cut with sharp utility knife. Drilled 5, 1/8" holes for self tapping screws.
Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps 20211212_131313

Just to be clear, this is for the rear flaps on the steel bumper? Nothing needs to be trimmed from the rears to work on the OBX plastic bumper.

Nice to see it’s not too hard to make them work on the steel bumper for people with that configuration.

OP
OP

OBSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How can the technical experts at Ford not work this out so that the customers don’t have to cut up their new mud flaps when they are supposed to be designed ‘for’ the Bronco!

Looks like they need to mold a recessed portion to allow the side step to rest in there instead of it being an actual hole. Come on Ford!
Or as many people have mentioned they could have made the side step shorter without any apparent negative consequences.

It is crazy they don’t have a version of the flaps for each configuration but also imagine the nightmare for all of us trying to determine the right part numbers and the inevitable errors on parts listings and dealership parts departments.

Sponsored

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just to be clear, this is for the rear flaps on the steel bumper? Nothing needs to be trimmed from the rears to work on the OBX plastic bumper.

Nice to see it’s not too hard to make them work on the steel bumper for people with that configuration.
Correct, steel bumper. Was desperate for temp fix until a quality aftermarket solution like rokblokz or Weathertech is released

cclkramer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 ford f350 diesel dually
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good job! Now tell us how good they work. I have some ordered for my Badlands when it comes in at the end of this month. I went to the ford dealer and showed the manager some pics of mods in this forum. He said he would modify and install for $30 each. For me that's a deal.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used the scrap pieces that were trimmed off as reinforcement for the upper part of the flap. Also used the metal clips to tie everything together.

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps IMG_6852.JPG

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps IMG_6855.JPG

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps IMG_6854.JPG

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps IMG_6856.JPG

Ford Bronco Ford OEM Mud Flaps / Splash Guards trimmed to fit OBX Sasquatch with side steps IMG_6853.JPG

OP
OP

OBSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good job! Now tell us how good they work. I have some ordered for my Badlands when it comes in at the end of this month. I went to the ford dealer and showed the manager some pics of mods in this forum. He said he would modify and install for $30 each. For me that's a deal.
They work great! The rear flare still gets spray on it but the doors and door handles are clean. It was a bit slushy today and there wasn’t anything sprayed up on the paint anywhere.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's amazing they don't have these for sasquatch. Complete fail. It's where they're most needed.....
Sponsored