Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford delays Bronco debut amid coronavirus fears
Breana Noble Updated 1:01 p.m. ET March 13, 2020

Ford Motor Co. is delaying the reveal of its highly anticipated off-road Bronco SUV amid the spreading coronavirus, the Dearborn automaker said Friday.

"We have postponed it, and it will be rescheduled as soon as possible," spokesman Mark Truby said on a conference call.

2905a841bff-dtncent02-79kfmji83iqvc3qi4qt_original.jpg

The debut of Ford's new Bronco has been delayed by the coronavirus. A Bronco R race prototype debuted in the Baja 1000 desert race last fall. (Photo: Ford)

The launch of the reborn version of the storied nameplate after a 25-year hiatus has been touted by executives as an expected boon for the automaker to compete in the off-road sector currently dominated by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' Jeep Wrangler SUV.

Media events scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday have been postponed, as Ford announces it is permitting workers performing functions that are not "business critical" to work from home.

Business-critical, however, does include certain positions to "keep product programs on time," Truby said. The Bronco is scheduled to launch in early 2021, with a smaller version expected to begin production before the end of this year.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...onco-debut-amid-coronavirus-fears/5041679002/
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“We will reschedule as soon as possible” . That sucks.

At least give us another date. April 1st? Tax day? ... Labor Day?!!?

Or, how about a web reveal? Ford has a website, right? All these leaks. Just take a piss already Ford!

Sponsored

Zackmd1

Outer Banks
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Ford Bronco 2dr Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So apparently Ford does not understand what Youtube and the internet is? Why does a car reveal (which we have already seen by the way...) require an in person press event? Why can't the reveal be handled online with smaller press only "hands on" videos filmed and posted online?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So apparently Ford does not understand what Youtube and the internet is? Why does a car reveal (which we have already seen by the way...) require an in person press event? Why can't the reveal be handled online with smaller press only "hands on" videos filmed and posted online?
I really hope they opt for something like this (small group of people, lots of cameras up close), but it is probably not what was originally intended.

This is an adventure vehicle, so I would imagine the original plan was to get groups of 'press' people and adventure personalities in for a presentation and hands-on over the course of a couple days out in the wild or some kind of test course on Ford land, then give them X number of days to work on their write up and footage, and have everyone release it all at the same time. It would hit lots of different segments of the market from lots of different angles on one day. That is still possible, but it opens up a lot of liability.

The alternative is that Ford hand picks some smaller subset of those people, perhaps who can be verified as cootiesvirus clean, and does a bunch of filming with them -- then distribute that footage and photos along with an informational brief to the larger group. Maybe they do an interactive video-conference too to make sure they cover all the interest points of the various perspectives. But that will require some brief delay so Ford can gather the footage and reschedule, maybe a few weeks.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dinosaur's fail to understand how technology works

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dinosaur's fail to understand how technology works
Steven Covey made millions advising to "begin with the end in mind". Big companies have tech wizards coming out their ass. I think this is more about looking at the 2021 projected revenue numbers and calculating how to build the hype and demand required to meet them.

I'm as frustrated as anyone. But I also look back just 2 months ago & realize we know tons more about Bronco than we did then

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Oh nooooo!

Sponsored

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I need a new bronco to haul all the toilet paper and bottled water! Lol

I didn’t know the virus would give everyone the runs and shut down the public water supply....should I stock up on batteries too....in case the power plants fail (I kid I kid)

Deleted member 3063

New member here and excuse me for butting in, I get it
I'm a retired Ford autoworker and let me assure they will not delay production because the reveal is delayed, it's just way too costly. Plant closings due to illness absenteeism at the plant or suppliers is another matter entirely.
At this point in the rollout Ford is egging up interest with "leaked" info, but not too much. They are not the DOD protecting national secrets. More interest equals more dealership traffic even before the actual production launch.
I know I pestered my dealer before I could even order my 2010 Raptor and he was almost as bad I was pestering Ford Corp. When it was finally delivered I got a call 2 hours after closing asking if I wanted to visit. When I got there milliseconds later the owner and the salesman were all smiles hand washing my baby. Short story to show you I get it, the frustration. Heck it took them 4 months to build my order, partially due to the 6.2L delay. I was trolling the net daily waiting for the vin# to show up. FRUSTRATION!

croyco

Black Diamond
First Name
croydon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really hope they opt for something like this (small group of people, lots of cameras up close), but it is probably not what was originally intended.

This is an adventure vehicle, so I would imagine the original plan was to get groups of 'press' people and adventure personalities in for a presentation and hands-on over the course of a couple days out in the wild or some kind of test course on Ford land, then give them X number of days to work on their write up and footage, and have everyone release it all at the same time. It would hit lots of different segments of the market from lots of different angles on one day. That is still possible, but it opens up a lot of liability.

The alternative is that Ford hand picks some smaller subset of those people, perhaps who can be verified as cootiesvirus clean, and does a bunch of filming with them -- then distribute that footage and photos along with an informational brief to the larger group. Maybe they do an interactive video-conference too to make sure they cover all the interest points of the various perspectives. But that will require some brief delay so Ford can gather the footage and reschedule, maybe a few weeks.
Given that the release day was next week, I would assume all this is already done. So why not just do it?

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe there's an association with online reveals and stock dropping after the debut- like the Tesla truck release!

That, however, was because it's f'ing ugly lol. It still had the nation tuned-in to the launch though.

A lot of people are at home right now watching a form of electronics for at least two weeks...

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Steven Covey made millions advising to "begin with the end in mind".

Big companies have tech wizards coming out their ass. ---- True , but the more senior members making the decisions may not be tech wizards. Reminds me of the TV documentary ( a long time ago, best recollection here) where the board at IBM, full of old stuffed shirt gray hairs, was PISSED that their R&D department, for a company the size of IBM, the best idea they could come up with was "a mouse and windows" ?
They scrapped the program and sold it cheap.

I think this is more about looking at the 2021 projected revenue numbers and calculating how to build the hype and demand required to meet them. ---- God forbid a memo leak that shows they were using a pandemic as profit bait ----- I highly doubt this scenario is likely.

I'm as frustrated as anyone. But I also look back just 2 months ago & realize we know tons more about Bronco than we did then ----- thats how to look at the bright side !!!

I personally do not like the limited reveal , in this circumstance, but considering how the UAW leaked the Bronco about 18 months early .... their choices are probably limited, considering how many people are already frustrated.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but for a product that is built to appeal to enthusiasts, you should do exactly that when you reveal .... appeal to the enthusiasts.

Don't cut them out.... in favor of reporters and camera geeks.

Reveal it at or before one of the Bronco Super Celebrations ..... auction or raffle off rides in it as it goes on the guided tours .... if they have several of them available, bring them all, use them. Let the enthusiasts ogle them, maybe lay hands on them a little bit.

For a charity auction/raffle, how much do you think they'd get if the prize was too ride or drive one, with a Ford rep in shotgun, on one of the guided tours?

Dude, I'd dig pretty deep into the Bronco restoration fund....just for the fun of it....and charity! To be one of the first to ride/drive the new Bronco!!!

Christ, that gets the BP up just thinking about it! LOL
Sponsored