Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I do all of my own oil changes at home, so I often do them early when I have time. Turbo motors get it more often due to the extra heat in the smaller engine and turbo. I've had to help so many folks deal with variable valve timing and valvetrain issues where old oil has clogged up screens and passages on trucks and cars, turbo or not, that I'm more cautious. My F150 only drives a few thousand miles a year because it's a tow haul only vehicle. I change the oil on it every 1000 miles usually. It's one of the few vehicles I let tell me to change the oil too.

I use trip A on all cars to track fuel economy. Trip B is the last oil change. When in doubt, change the oil.
Sponsored

khudgi

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 CC / 2023 F350 CC LAR 4x4 PS 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Modern engines and the associate oil can easily go 20K miles. Therefore, the 10K oil change is more than adequate under normal driving conditions. Any of you certified in Tribology?

For those of you who insist on 3,000 mile changes, Do your change your points and plugs every 12K?
I had 178,000 on my 2013 3.5 eco F150, oil changed at 10k per computer, never an engine issue of any kind.. I used Blend the the first oil change and full synthetic after. Had a Lab analyze the oil with TBN test once after 10 420 miles. Oil was still over 4.0 on the TBN which indicates lots of life left in it as it starts around 9.3.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the time the Bronco was initially released, the Motorcraft full-synthetic did not meet the latest DI requirements (I forget the spec, itā€™s been covered in other threads here in the past). I think that was at least part of the issue not specifically calling for the synthetic (for at least the 2.3). At the end of the day, the friction modifiers are the most important part of the synthetic oil. They operate the same with base or synthetic base oil. The synthetic base is ā€œbetterā€ but not the key difference, from my understanding.

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every 3k or less and full synthetic

Blended is like a drop of synthetic and then the rest regular, only do blended on a cheap beater or a lease you dont care about

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ll be doing first 1k, 5k then every 5k after with full synthetic as well

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I personally do every 5k with full synthetic but there is a LOT of conflicting and misinformation out there about motor oil and change intervals.

Motor oil provides several functions: it cleans, cools, maintains pH levels, and lubricates. How well it does that depends on the manufacturer's additive package. As I understand it, base oil stocks are mostly the same between manufacturers and whatever they're able to get from the refinery that day. The additive package is what makes the oil, is proprietary between manufacturers, and determines the difference between conventional and synthetic oils. The additive package starts breaking down as soon as you fire the engine after an oil change. IMO, the longevity of the additive package is the determining factor in oil change intervals more than anything else in most cases. 20k oils are great, but I believe even the best oil filter is going to become saturated with combustion byproducts long before that, hence why I stick to 5k intervals. Plus, it's easy to remember. šŸ˜

What's best for you? Like most things in life, it depends. Trip distance, ambient temperature, driving style, amount of dust in the air, and how well your engine is sealed internally and externally are a few variables. I believe the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations are minimums, anything above

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FWIW, I personally do 5k intervals with full synthetic and magnets on the filter if possible. There is a LOT of conflicting and misinformation out there about motor oil and change intervals however. This is some of the info I've gleaned over the years which I believe to be true:

Motor oil provides several functions: it cleans, cools, maintains pH levels, and lubricates. How well it does that depends on the manufacturer's additive package. As I understand it, base oil stocks are mostly the same between manufacturers and whatever they're able to get from the refinery that day. The additive package is what makes the oil, is proprietary between manufacturers, and determines the difference between conventional and synthetic oils. The additive package starts breaking down as soon as you fire the engine after an oil change. IMO, the longevity of the additive package is the determining factor in oil change intervals more than anything else in most cases. 20k oils are great, but I believe even the best oil filter is going to become saturated with combustion byproducts long before that, hence why I stick to 5k intervals. Plus, it's easy to remember. šŸ˜

What's best for you? Like most things in life, it depends. Trip distance, ambient temperature, driving style, amount of dust in the air, and how well your engine is sealed internally and externally are a few variables. I believe the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations are minimums, anything above and beyond is at the discretion of the owner.

As far as laboratory oil analysis goes, I'm not a petroleum engineer so I don't feel even remotely qualified to understand the results. Surf over to bobistheoilguy.com and you may find some legit engineers, but most is speculation at best in my experience. Without knowing the chemical properties of the oil that went into the engine, analyzing what comes out is pointless.

A final note about break in oils: traditional break in oils contain high levels of anti-wear additives (which are bad for catalytic converters) and very few cleaning additives and are not recommended for anything more than running an engine in prior to any driving. I would be surprised if Ford used any special sauce in the initial fill from the factory since the majority of the break in should already be done by that point. I'm more worried about how it gets driven between rolling off the assembly line and the dealer handing me the keys--that's where the real damage can happen in my opinion.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I run full synth in all my cars. I get it changed every 3k miles.

Yes, yes the oil companies love me. But itā€™s cheap insurance.

Sponsored

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Group 4 full synthetic every 6k for me. Group 4 has less vapor to gunk up the valves so you don't need a catch can.

charlieecho

Outer Banks
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just donā€™t get the point of the ā€œold wayā€ of doing things in todayā€™s advancement. My thinking is if Ford thought there would be a problem waiting until 10K miles donā€™t you think they would recommend changing it earlier?
Iā€™ll be changing mine every 8-10k depending on trips coming up. Mainly highway miles here. My dad has been doing this in his King Ranch diesels for the past 5 years with zero issues.

adamm13

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I saw a TikTok video this morning of the first oil change on a Bronco. After that, 1,600miles in, I'll be getting my first oil change today. Not worth the risk of milky factory oil.

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs