Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I changed mine at 1000miles and will do every 5k....Use a full synthetic, Motul or Motocraft.
Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did my Bronco's first change, and went with the IAG bundle with MOTUL, filter and plug (~$90 shipped). I'm too nervous to get a counterfeit filter from Amazon, and none of my nearby Auto Parts Stores had all the stuff I needed for a one stop shop. Mileage was ~2000 miles in 4 months, no off-road during break-in. I'll do it again in 3k miles, likely 6 months ~ November. That'll set me up for fresh oil for Winter. Assuming I don't run over 5k miles in any 6 month period, I think I'll just stick with fresh oil every 6 months, November and May here in the NE.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do what makes you feel good. Seriously. I've seen this topic beaten to death on car forums for 20+ years.

The newer OCI algorithms from Ford are pretty damn good from what I've experienced. It takes into account time, mileage, stop and go driving, temp etc. My go to has always been 7500 mile oil changes or every year - whichever comes first...I'm thinking the Ford OCI agrees.

My '12 F150 (5.0 Coyote) was changed in late April '21. The oil change needed warning went off last week. 5.5k miles (truck was strictly tow / haul / trips until last week). Only has 69K on the truck, bought it used in '18 with 40K.

My wife's '17 Mustang EB 2.3 Ragtop - OCI computer popped up. Oil was changed right around the same time as the '12 F150. Approximately 2.5K miles driven. (56K on the car) she works almost exclusively from home - even before all the COVID stuff - and when we go anywhere we almost always took my '19 Mustang GT or the F150. It's being traded in on the Bronco.

'19 Mustang GT 6 speed - bought it new in Sept '19. It was my daily. It got driven hard. I changed it every 7500 and the OCI was really close there as well. It left the stable last week when the dealer where we ordered our Bronco from saw it and made me an offer (straight purchase) I couldn't refuse. They literally paid me a few hundred more than I paid for it new in '19. And I put 31K on it.

The '22 Bronco will get driven by me and the wife...so I'll probably stick to the same routine.

I rotate between Penzoil Ultra Platinum and Mobil 1 - depending on rebates and what's on sell etc. I order Wix filters from Rock Auto for several years at a time. That's just me.

FWIW - this routine has been consistent for 20 + years. In that time I had a 5.3 LSx powered GM truck that started with 40K and got sold with 180K. Zero engine issues. Had another GM SUV with the 5.3 that had over 300K when I sold it.

My only input is that I would always choose a full synthetic (that meets Ford's specs) over a blend (like Motorcraft 5w30) especially when you can get 5qt jugs of PUP and M1 for $25 or so at WallyWorld.

That's just my lowly opinion.

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Modern engines and the associate oil can easily go 20K miles. Therefore, the 10K oil change is more than adequate under normal driving conditions. Any of you certified in Tribology?

For those of you who insist on 3,000 mile changes, Do your change your points and plugs every 12K?
Points?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Regarding 10K oil change intervals- I bought a used VW GTI back in 2018. It had only 4.5K miles on it. I thought the dealer had changed the oil in it before I bought it as part of the "certified" process. So I planned on doing one at 9.5K or 10Kmiles, my normal 5K interval. At about 8.5-9 K I noticed the oil getting pretty dark, so I decided to change it. It was filthy black draining it out and smelled real bad. And the oil filter was caked with sludge in it. It had a paper cartridge filter so you could really see it. I am glad I changed it when I did and I know the dealer did not change it before I bought it. It could be that it was the very first oil change of the car that it was this dirty. The car ran so much better afterwards. So every 5K for me in a turbo vehicle.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Synthetic

Multiple vehicles with over 200K with this practice.
same. excluding the first. last three vehicles turbos, synthetic, over 100k, no issues. people can do what they think is best but 5k was the old standard, tons of articles and data around 7.5-10k+ for modern turbo synthetic.

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-dr Badsquatch, 1998 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol old school there - cars used to control ignition by distributors, which used this little mechanical switch called points to turn the current on and off to each spark plug. Haven't seen one since high school.... Fun fact, distributors are super easy to open and if you were to jam the points open with a small folded up piece of paper someone could get stuck in a parking lot for hours trying to figure out why their car wouldn't start 😈

Last edited:

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lol old school there - cars used to control ignition by distributors, which used this little mechanical switch called points to turn the current on and off to each spark plug. Haven't seen one since high school.... Fun fact, distributors are super easy to open and if you were to jam the points open with a small folded up piece of paper someone could get stuck in a parking lot for hours trying to figure out why their car wouldn't start >:)
matchbook worked wonders back in the day for both my cars and bikes. ;)

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Switched to MOTUL 5W30 100% Synthetic after 10k.

2500 and 5000 were Motorcraft.

Sponsored

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Full synthetic and I’ll go about 5000-6000k. 99% street driving
Same. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but after dropping over 50k I’m not going to risk letting an extra $90 oil change per year potentially rob me of performance or longevity.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Every 5K, only because it’s easier to do the math…5..10…15… 🧐

Bronco 09

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f350 KR dully
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was after oil change at 600 miles, and 2,500 miles went back with motocraft synthetic blend for both. Now on Amsoil Signuture series at 5k miles and will change it every 5k with Amsoil.

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had several 2.7 Ecoboost engines with zero issues. I change my oil every 5000 or 6 months - whatever comes first. Minimum 2 times per year. I stick with the Motorcraft blend recommended by Ford. I work at Ford R&E. It’s the same oil used in all of the testing.
Sponsored