Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you look at the patent ..the example it uses as a "previous patent" is the Moon Landing Rover..which is kinda interesting.

IMG_1952.jpg
Actually, looks like it's from a conference proceeding:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/5446895

Abstract:
This paper describes the design and control of the first generation active suspension for NASA's Chariot rover and Lunar Electric Rover (LER). Within the paper is a general overview of the needs and benefits of active suspensions for crew mobility systems on the lunar surface. In the spectrum of active suspensions, the Chariot system falls into the category of a series active or low bandwidth suspension. The passive suspension elements absorb the high frequency content of driving over rugged terrain and the active element sets the height of the suspension allowing the vehicle to conform to the terrain. This suspension system is capable of raising and lowering the vehicle, adjusting roll and pitch attitude for docking operations, leveling the chassis against gravity, and balancing the force across the six wheels during low speed operations. In addition to the existing system, initial results of an incremental design upgrade are discussed and future considerations for suspension systems for the lunar surface are described.
Sponsored

WCampbellAZ

Outer Banks
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Their options, if they want to use this kind of technology, are:

1. Pay whoever owns the IP for JLR's system so they can use that one.

2. Come up with their own way of doing the same way that is sufficiently different enough that they can get their own patent and not have to pay somebody else to use it.
I'd say probably the second option. The Range Rover system is wildly complex and expensive to fix. I'm they've come up with something more simplified, that behaves similarly.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is very interesting, it gives me hope that the Bronco will be my ultimate ride. Outstanding off-road capabilities but at the same time outstanding on-road daily driver manners. While I understand 73.8% of my fellow forum members believe a comfortable ride is an F-250, I may represent the underrepresented population that really wants a very comfortable daily driver since that will be 95% of my use, like many others, it will see a large percentage of it's life on asphalt and concrete.

When I glace over the patent I see several interesting modes that give me hope it will allow for the type of ride I think would be ideal, when needed:
City Mobility Mode (CSM): "comfort modes..."
Quiet Suspension Mode: "to reduce road-induced noise and/or detected vehicle vibrations..."

Shall I dare say "adaptive suspension" like?
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ior-spied-undisguised.1096/page-22#post-26206

While I understand patents may be nothing more then being creative ways to allow for "Freedom to Operate", it does give me great hope for what the Bronco capabilities will reveal.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@OX1 I couldn't tell you, I don't know enough about the specifics of each manufacturer's systems to tell you who's infringing whom. I'd imagine they felt that their methodology was sufficiently novel to warrant a patent.

Also I think daredevil mode had something more like this in mind :LOL:

4A18829300000578-0-image-a-11_1520793834308.jpg
I consider that patent a nothing burger. They tried a crude version of that on my fusion,
but it does virtually nothing over rough terrain (potholes). The adjustable shock damping is nice, '
calming down the floatiness above 90-100.

But for the price of magnaride, I don't think it's worth it on a long travel suspensions vs a cheaper version adj shock. For magnaride kind of money and complexity, I'd want to see something like that merc has. Otherwise, just really expensive stuff to replace at 10 years old, without a huge upgrade in capability.

HAHA!!, yeah I figured. Someone was in anti-CYA mode that day........

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@OX1 I couldn't tell you, I don't know enough about the specifics of each manufacturer's systems to tell you who's infringing whom. I'd imagine they felt that their methodology was sufficiently novel to warrant a patent.

Also I think daredevil mode had something more like this in mind :LOL:

4A18829300000578-0-image-a-11_1520793834308.jpg
This is FoMoCo… daredevil mode should be more like this:
Ford Bronco Ford Patents “G.O.A.T.” Dynamic Suspension System (Including “Daredevil” Mode) for 2021 Bronco Block

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is FoMoCo… daredevil mode should be more like this:
Ford Bronco Ford Patents “G.O.A.T.” Dynamic Suspension System (Including “Daredevil” Mode) for 2021 Bronco Block
Oh yeah that's a much better GIF - especially since in "Fun-to-Drive Mode" (or something like that) they reference, more or less, the Focus RS's "Drift Button".

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is a way to try and split the difference between independent suspension and solid axle. Chrysler/Jeep tried this back in the 90's with an independent design that would also move the differential centersection as the suspension articulated:

https://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html

They started out with a deDion independent suspension, but, to increase wheel travel and ground clearance, connected the differential to the suspension so that it travelled with the wheel.
One of the clever aspects of the system is that in cases where one wheel was particularly loaded, e.g. if one side of the vehicle was going over a rock or into a ditch, the differential would be pulled up by that wheel, providing better ground clearance regardless of which side was higher

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Space Force is rumored to be using them to patrol the moon
My Space Force friend confirmed that the bronco has been in operation since 2014 on the lunar surface and Venus....... jk, but that would bring a new meaning to “All Terrain”. “ The bronco better be able to float on water, fly in the sky, and drive on all surfaces (yes the ceiling as well) or I won’t be getting one.”

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya know I grew up driving ford econolines(had 7 but 2 were SFA 4x4s) with twin I beams. I loved em especially when they had sway bars on em. I always thought they handled so well for such a huge van. I could spin em, slide em, pound em on beaches and through field. They were tough and always had a confident squat to them during hard cornering. Now I have had 3 TTB 4x4s and they arent quite as good on the road as the 2wds were. But I do wonder if ford could ever bring elements of that design back. Specifically the long over lapping beam type control arms. Maybe a floating type centered differential with a frame mounted cradle/crossmember of sorts that provides mounts for those beams. Maybe if that cradle is able to slide the beam mounts up and down with the differential it would correct some of the classic TTB angle issues. If you want to put in the active driving modes. The floating of the diff and beam mounts can bee locked for on road. Unlocked and dampened for other modes like higher speed off road. And fully freed while in low range for crawling. Maybe even a pumped up mode for fording or deep snow and sand. I dont think the setup would be harder to lift high (over 3 inches)than any other IFS just a drop bracket and steering work.

I mean since they are bringing us back to the 60s with the Bronco look why not bring us back to a great 60s suspension theme that lasted for almost 4 decades. Even if it was never on a bronco.

Instead of TTB they could call it the Twin Floating I-beam, or TFI module and as long as nobody mounts it to the distributor it shouldnt over heat lol lol ???

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I see "towing mode"...

YES! MY FIRST GLIMPSE OF REAL HOPE!
Sponsored