Sponsored

Ford Patents a new SOLID Front axle system for SUVs, Off Road vehicles and Trucks...Could this be in a Warthog?

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's probably for the V8 F-150 Raptor to support the heavier engine and higher torque

it's probably for the F-150 Raptor-R to support the heavier engine and higher torque
No way. The V8 probably doesn't weigh much more than the Ecoboost V6 and all its twin-turbo bits. Definitely not enough to go solid axle and lose everything the Raptor is about.
Sponsored

Reactions: abe

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This patent looks like it is more about an electric power steering system for a solid front axle that a new front axle patent.

OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What if the Ford Excursion will be the name for the 4d Pickup version of the Bronco?
People have mentioned there could be a full size Bronco like the 78,79 models.

However, I think the drive by wire solid front axle will be on all models of Ford 4x4 passenger vehicles in the future.

Here is an interesting tidbit for you, currently the only vehicles that come with the chip set for the self driving feature (Blue Cruise) will be the 2021 MachE, some F150‘s and some 2021 Ford Explorers produced after Oct 1.

However the Bronco will get that same chip set after October 2022 according to Ford.

‘’Currently the Bronco with the 2.7 will have brake by wire, no vacuum system and obviously no computer aided steering by wire.

So give it a couple years

OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This patent looks like it is more about an electric power steering system for a solid front axle that a new front axle patent.
‘it’s a new solid front axle system...basically for drive by wire or self driving 4x4’s

Ford does show this in some of their control patents for blue cruise for 4x4’s.. The Bronco will not be getting the chipset for blue cruise until the 2023 models and even when it does get the blue cruise chip set, it doesn’t mean it will be self driving ..it would need an axle system like the new Ford patent or a similar IFS drive by wire setup.

A couple months ago I posted the info on the current Ford chip sets used in the Bronco if you want to know more.

OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To further complicate production schedules and cause even more delays, Ford will be offering the Bronco in your choice of IFS or SFA. :)

Tell me at this point if this would honestly surprise any of you. LOL
how about a patent for a system that could put out hard tops faster 😉

Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

‘it’s a new solid front axle system...basically for drive by wire or self driving 4x4’s

Ford does show this in some of their control patents for blue cruise for 4x4’s.. The Bronco will not be getting the chipset for blue cruise until the 2023 models and even when it does get the blue cruise chip set, it doesn’t mean it will be self driving ..it would need an axle system like the new Ford patent or a similar IFS drive by wire setup.

A couple months ago I posted the info on the current Ford chip sets used in the Bronco if you want to know more.
I looked at the patent that is attached here and it does not say it is a new axle or suspension, line 54 says it is a steering system for a solid axle. The description reads only about the steering being the point of thispatent.. I don't see where everyone is getting " new solid axle" from.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Solid axle is counter productive for a Warthog long travel suspension. Way too heavy. IFS is far superior for high speed off-road running.

BuckinBronc0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
People have mentioned there could be a full size Bronco like the 78,79 models.
Hmmm when you say "people", do you mean Ford Engineers/development insiders or forum gossip? Find it hard to believe Ford would start development of an even bigger Bronco that could cannibalize sales of current Bronco's even if it is five years down the line.

The patent looks like a Super Duty setup anyhow.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

actually I don’t think Ford is worried about conceding..they want to make the best product.
I could be more pessimistic and say that they don't necessarily care about the best product but rather a profitable product with a long lifespan.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The SR5 needs to watch out. The technical market is no longer secure.

200w.gif
Sponsored