Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Via Car and Driver
  • A pair of patent applications filed by Ford with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office appear to involve features for the upcoming Bronco's roof.
  • The first patent is for a removable roof structure that gets rid of the B-, C-, and D-pillars as well as roof rails and crossbeams, providing a true open-air experience.
  • The second patent is for roof-rail-mounted airbags that can be repacked to retain driver visibility after an accident.

Ford Bronco Ford patents removable roof frame and repackable airbags for 2021 Bronco? 2021 Ford Bronco removable roof structure patent

Both patents have to do with a removable roof, which will be a key feature of the new Bronco. The first patent covers a single-piece removable roof structure that includes the upper portions of of the B-, C-, and D-pillars. With this design, a portion of the upper B-pillar would slide into the permanent lower B-pillar. It's unclear if this structure permanently carries the roof and upper body panels, or if those panels would be removed separately. We also don't know if this frame is the only rollover protection, or if it requires a secondary roll-cage-like structure similar to the Jeep Wrangler's. The patent does claim that structural rigidity of the vehicle is minimally affected by this roof design, which makes sense for a body-on-frame vehicle like the Bronco.

Ford Bronco Ford patents removable roof frame and repackable airbags for 2021 Bronco? 2021 Ford Bronco side curtain airbags repackable patent

The second patent is for side curtain airbags that can be repacked after deployment. In the text of the patent, Ford notes that side curtain airbags can obstruct the driver's view after firing, which could be a problem in an off-road environment or isolated area in which emergency assistance is not readily available. The idea is that once the airbags are deployed, they could be manually put back into the cover, and the driver could maneuver the vehicle to a spot where emergency vehicles could assist.
Sponsored

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just stopping by to laugh at people who think Ford is actually designing the rollbar to be removed for "open air driving"

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They are not floating- They are being blow around by the wind from hitting 88mph

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
New bronco airflow is "that bad" ;-)

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regardless of all that, definitely glad it can go topless

Shane

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser and 2001 F250 SD 4WD 7.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

2021 Ford Bronco side curtain airbags repackable patent.png

LOVING the final body design though I'm not sold on the grapefruits-for-wheels idea...
Yeah. And I thought we were getting the ‘leaked’ ROUND headlight design. Well played Mr. Ford. Well played.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yo hopefully they just made up that design for the patent *sarcasm*sarcasm**

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just stopping by to laugh at people who think Ford is actually designing the rollbar to be removed for "open air driving"
I'm thinking this would be more for providing rollbar options than just going without one. I think this will give individuals the option to stick with a factory hydroformed design or switch to some aftermarket tube options. I believe Ford also had the patent of a rollbar with integrated roll out top or screens.

Sponsored

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Regardless of all that, definitely glad it can go topless
No question about it going topless now, but for those of us who prefer a permanent, hard-shell top, will this be an option? The same question applies to doors: granted, the new Bronco will almost certainly have removable doors, but will they leave us an option of permanent, hard-fastened doors? I ask from the perspective of someone who does not like doors that come off, roofs that come off, roofs with holes in them, etc. (Am I the only one?)

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No question about it going topless now, but for those of us who prefer a permanent, hard-shell top, will this be an option? The same question applies to doors: granted, the new Bronco will almost certainly have removable doors, but will they leave us an option of permanent, hard-fastened doors? I ask from the perspective of someone who does not like doors that come off, roofs that come off, roofs with holes in them, etc. (Am I the only one?)
Yep, basically just you and a few other freaks who wanna it welded shut

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm with ya. If there is an option for a solid non removable roof, that's the one I want. And no sun/moon roof. If it has the removable hard shell like the old ones, that's fine but I will never remove it. It will be my hunting rig and it regularly gets below zero and snows where I go.
Sponsored