Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 06 Suzuki SV1000s
Bronco
Outer Banks
Nice. I would think you're going to be fine since youre starting with the Badlands. Im starting with a stock OBX, and have assumed since North7 did the research last Spring, that I'll need to add that .67 inches (What the Badlands has with its larger shocks) to the OBX to safely fit the 33's. I could be simple and just do a 1" level or lift.
I am not starting with a Badlands, I am starting with an OBX... even without the lift, the 33.5" tire will fit. I am just saying, that even if they didn't fit, I am adding the Badlands suspension as an upgrade, not because I want the lift, but because I want the shocks.

Like I said above, I didn't want the 4.7 gears, I would have wanted a front locker... but it stops working above 20 MPH, so I opted for a TrueTrac LSD for the M190 front differential, which along with the tires I have sitting here in my living room. For me, the OBX without the Sasquatch made the most sense.
Advertisement

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Bronco
Outer Banks
Or tell me what you have and I will search my database for what you need... :) Which is easier.

1FMEE5DP4MLA68247

4 D NON-SAS Badlands 2.7 Auto with MIC, Lux, and Towing

@flip can get you the part numbers and offers really good pricing should you order from him (and since he's been so helpful to our community, I encourage you to throw him the business).

BTW, I didn't have a need for a front locker, 35's, or a 4.7... but I did have a need for this:

TrueTrac.jpg

A nice tasty LSD for the M190 front differential, which unlike the 4.7 locker, works above 20 MPH. Sure, it's not a locker, but in the soft stuff... Like the beach, it's gonna dig!!!
Id love to see your build when complete, in time!

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am not starting with a Badlands, I am starting with an OBX... even without the lift, the 33.5" tire will fit. I am just saying, that even if they didn't fit, I am adding the Badlands suspension as an upgrade, not because I want the lift, but because I want the shocks.

Like I said above, I didn't want the 4.7 gears, I would have wanted a front locker... but it stops working above 20 MPH, so I opted for a TrueTrac LSD for the M190 front differential, which along with the tires I have sitting here in my living room. For me, the OBX without the Sasquatch made the most sense.
Oooh LSD huh? How much did that put you back?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Outer Banks
Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 22 GV70
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan to go the TrueTrac route up front when I go to 4.88s.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Outer Banks

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 22 GV70
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's not a locker, but for the right use case, it's a great answer.

I've been running TrueTracs for years and love them. Get a tire lifted, just tap the brakes under power and it will hook up. My Toyota actually does it for me with the traction control. They can be tuned for front use with less torque input so as not to adversely affect steering. In the back I like them to hook up pretty hard, especially used in a muscle car.

Assuming the front gears are welded to the carrier, I'll have to get new gears when I install it anyway, so I plan on 4.88s.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Outer Banks
I've been running TrueTracs for years and love them. Get a tire lifted, just tap the brakes under power and it will hook up. My Toyota actually does it for me with the traction control. They can be tuned for front use with less torque input so as not to adversely affect steering. In the back I like them to hook up pretty hard, especially used in a muscle car.

Assuming the front gears are welded to the carrier, I'll have to get new gears when I install it anyway, so I plan on 4.88s.
Well, since Ford performance is releasing a 4.70 for the Bronco M190, I suspect that it might not be welded on. That was my first indication that there may be hope for us!

M-4209-470RF

Hmmm....

HoosierDaddy

Base
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr !!!
Bronco
Base
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Outer Banks
Dang, $444 now!
Need to check with my axle guy and see what install would be!
Labor is always the expensive part on something like this... but as an upgrade, I think it's quite viable.

TroutBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4runner
Bronco
Outer Banks
Same here, and one issue is that our 18" rims restrict the choice of 33" tires that will fit the stock 7.5 x 18 wheels. Generally, thats 275/70R18 tires, which are all E-rated tires, instead of the C and D rated tires which ride more comfortably, are lighter, but require 8"+ rims, and usually 17". So I'm trapped between harsher riding, heavier tires for stock rims, and buying new 17" wheels (or buying someone's Badlands tires.) What's your solution to this conundrum? I'm generally a beach driver.
General has a new Grabber ATx in that size that a will be 3ply and not E. It is so new that Discount Tire doesn't have them yet.

TroutBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4runner
Bronco
Outer Banks
I just bought the badlands bilsteins and springs for all four corners for around $1300 shipped from Ford to go on my BD. Maybe I should have waited, but doubt they have the amount of travel the Badlands will.
Where did you find those? I haven't had luck.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Open Style Front Axle

The front drive axle receives rotational torque from the driveshaft. The direction of the rotation determines movement of the vehicle. The rotation enters the front drive axle through the drive pinion flange, turning the drive pinion and rotating the ring gear. The differential case houses the pinion shaft upon which the differential pinion gears ride. The pinion gears are in mesh with the differential side gears to which the axle shafts are splined. It is the unique arrangement of the differential that allows the axle shafts to be driven at different speed when needed, such as when driving around corners.

The open differential has the normal internal spider gear design that will allow a speed differential between the wheels when cornering.

DANA M190: The ring gear is welded with differential carrier assembly.

DANA M210: The ring gear is bolted with differential carrier assembly.

Advertisement

Advertisement