Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interested in finding out what makes these new Bilsteins,
short of the lift (if you want a lift…..I don’t), a better shock than the OEM Bilsteins.
I’d really like to know ‘cause I love the factory shocks on my Badlands.
There are other ways to get a 2” lift on factory Bilsteins if you think you need it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just bought the 6112 with matched springs, they seem to high a slightly higher spring rate than stock SAS. Somewhere between the OME medium and OME heavy upfront and about equal to OME medium in the rear. The 6112s are .2-.3 taller than SAS springs (not that it matters) The 6112 at there lowest setting are about .75" taller than SAS.

I am hoping to take a bunch of measurements/photos when I am done.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interested in finding out what makes these new Bilsteins,
short of the lift (if you want a lift…..I don’t), a better shock than the OEM Bilsteins.
I’d really like to know ‘cause I love the factory shocks on my Badlands.
There are other ways to get a 2” lift on factory Bilsteins if you think you need it.
Much larger = more volume = more fluid movement to dampen shock and dissipate heat.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Much larger = more volume = more fluid movement to dampen shock and dissipate heat.
Larger with more fluid volume/movement than a SAS/Badlands Bilstein with resevoir?
Hmmm
Thanks for setting that straight…..if it does.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Larger with more fluid volume/movement than a SAS/Badlands with resevoir?
Hmmm
Yes, I am making an assumption about total volume. Next week I will have both side by side. I will take some photos-

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Larger with more fluid volume/movement than a SAS/Badlands Bilstein with resevoir?
Hmmm
I would also consider that a SAS shock from Ford is about $200 with their markup. 6100s are $320

You don't always get what you pay for, but I am sure Bilstein considered this when they were pricing the 6100s. The SAS shocks are great. I think (hope) believe that the 6100s are another step up

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was looking for awhile for takeoffs, but owning a 2-dr 2.3L it is hard to find a similar build from sellers. Had a chance at a Moar Door 2.7L takeoffs for $600, but I didn't want some wonky reverse Carolina Squat going on.

I've been waiting for the Ford Performance kit since what seems like forever, but at $2100, it is a non-starter. That warranty doesn't make up for the extra cost. With the kit being fixed at 2", the 5100 series seem to be a better value while also being adjustable.

Unless pricing is reduced through Ruxer's discount, I just don't see the value as the warranty is only applicable if installed by a Ford dealer which means an additional $800-1K in labor. With the kits being fully assembled, I don't see the need to have to pay a dealer for the work only to have a warranty in effect.
for take-offs i wouldn't sweat the exact match, just close weight and consider changes you plan to make. i have a 2d and picked up a non-sas bl 4d that was +200 front/80 rear. rides great, and even better after a winch and some other adds. a bunch of others have done the same.

i was waiting for this release but took too long, market and take-offs caught up, and i don't really see the value now. install costs are insane too to carry the warranty, and the warranty only covers the c/o anyways. kept my stock in the event something happens, but honestly if something did i'd just go this or king anyways. i also can't imagine these are much if at all better than the sas/bl c/os anyways.

Last edited:

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would also consider that a SAS shock from Ford is about $200 with their markup. 6100s are $320

You don't always get what you pay for, but I am sure Bilstein considered this when they were pricing the 6100s. The SAS shocks are great. I think (hope) believe that the 6100s are another step up
i don't think price is relevant in this scenario imo.

one engineered a few years ago at lower r&d /cost and offset costs since it is used for vehicles off the line.

the other launched during an insane market with supply chain issues, high r&d, for individual sale and not used in stock production lines. enter price increase.

Buck₩ild

Black Diamond
First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willys, Bronco BD, Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Noob here in terms of lifts but lifting is only helpful in off-roading, correct?
There's no use or benefit onroad except if one wants to have a feeling of riding a camel?

I know a lot of people that have lifted their Jeeps only to take them to malls.
I don't get what's the benefit
I used to think it's only for offroading

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Cheaper to go elsewhere than Ford imo.
So many options available as the market matures regarding Bronco after market upgrades. Easy to rush and buy now. Patience always pays off in the long run, but hey! —if you want to pay, go for it!

Example: Ford charges $540 per wheel for 17" steelies. Expensive.
LOL, for $60 more I was able to get a complete set of 5 Black Diamond take-offs with tires and TPMS sensors (in near new condition - no scratches or blems).

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Noob here in terms of lifts but lifting is only helpful in off-roading, correct?
There's no use or benefit onroad except if one wants to have a feeling of riding a camel?

Well it depends on the size of the obstacles at your local mall, some malls (rated 8 or higher) might necessitate 37s and a 5 inch lift. 😂

For the most part, unless you are going off-road additional lift and travel requires compromise to on road performance. You would ideally want an tire size that gave you the minimum needed clearance that minimized unsprung weight and maximized handling, toughness, and traction for your primary needs yet still is well balanced for your secondary needs.

You usually have to prioritize either on-road or off-road... hard to do both exceptionally well. Alternatively, you can just have two sets of tires and an on the fly electronically adjustable suspension.

Cubic dollars can solve many problems.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gotta love Internet forums. We’re immediately talking about cost and the need for shocks.
The 6100s don’t even come with springs. So you have to buy four shocks and four springs and then bolt them together and mount them. These are bolt on and go. So the cost actually sounds in line. And it sounds like they are tuned for non Sasquatch broncos which is nice too.
Unless there is another coil over solution I don’t see out there.
What would be really cool is a ford performance package with the tune, exhaust, and suspension all together.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not all camel rides are the same...
A lift is to accomplish something. Sometimes it's for looks, sometimes it's for performance. Sometimes it's just because a dude might like riding a camel.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the marketing department told them to put 2 inch lift but really it’s 2 inch increases in suspension travel. Which is maximizing the the capability of the stock components.

1CB7F5D0-D9CF-4DD8-BABF-F0C7A46792E5.png

sjudas

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It seems that Ford has found a way to extract extra dollars from Bronco owners that didn't order the Sasquatch package. Add in the Ford labor and you're at $3,000. I didn't order the Sasquatch because I wanted to pick my own wheels and tires. The total for my lift, wheels (5), and tires was $3,500. Don't believe the hype.
Sponsored