Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After 9+ mos of waiting on Ford, I finally was able to purchase and install the new Ford Performance Shocks for non-SAS Broncos. The shocks are marketed as "...uniquely tuned and tested by Ford Performance Engineering to optimize ride and performance both Off- and On-Road" as well as "Approximately 2" of lift results in optimal ground clearance and approach/departure angles", and finally "Direct bolt-in replacement suspension package, improving both ride quality and stance of vehicle." The 2" of lift is right about where I wanted to get to as a non-SAS OBX model.

Even though they're bolt-on replacements, as a result of the 3 yr/36k warranty if installed by an ASE technician I took them to a local overlanding garage who did the install. Unfortunately I didn't take specific measurements on ground clearance before the install but the technician stated he measured 2". I think it's apparent from the pictures that is probably accurate, but I can take some after measurements if someone can provide a non-SAS OBX with stock Badlands wheels/tires starting measurements to compare with. Here is a before/after (the photo dimensions aren't perfect), but it should illustrate the difference in height and stance.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance 2" Lift Kit Coilovers for non-SAS Bronco Installed! - Impressions, Review, Photos Bronco_Before-After

Takeaways after 4-5 days of driving:

• Very happy with the on-road ride quality up to this point. The shocks seemed a little stiff straight out of the garage parking lot but I think they've broken-in quickly. My understanding based on the forum is OBX had the "softest" suspension of all the models so I don't necessarily think these new Ford Performance shocks are softer but they do seem to handle bumps more confidently with the huge 2.65" mono-tube.
  • Love the amount of lift and the improved stance. Seems like it's lost the stock rake but I need to get under there and measure more specifically. I think the stock Badland 17s/33s now seem a little small for the lift and 35s will be in order when I replace the tires (which I should be able to support with 4.27 gearing), but I think the look is somewhat exaggerated because I am running the Ford after-market steel fenders that don't have any lip on them so there's more visibility into the wheel-well. I'll switch back to the painted fenders in the Spring.
  • I haven't been able to take it off-road but I'm confident they're going to be noticeably superior to the stock OBX along with the improved clearance/angles.
I do think the information online for these shocks is lacking at this point - I'd love to understand more in terms of how much travel these have, etc. but all we seem to have is the Ford Performance marketing website info. I was going to call the Ford Performance line and ask for more details but haven't been able to yet. If anyone has more technical details they can share I'd love to see them.

If there are additional pictures or measurements anyone would like to me to provide just let me know. I'm travelling for work over the next few days but I'm sure by the weekend I could provide some updates.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance 2" Lift Kit Coilovers for non-SAS Bronco Installed! - Impressions, Review, Photos Bronco7

Ford Bronco Ford Performance 2" Lift Kit Coilovers for non-SAS Bronco Installed! - Impressions, Review, Photos Shocks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can take some after measurements if someone can provide a non-SAS OBX with stock Badlands wheels/tires starting measurements to compare with.
@Jazer You have your stock OBX with Badlands wheels. Maybe you can provide the measurements?

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great! Thinking about getting these. Do you have the details on cost? Like actual parts, install, alignment, etc? Thanks!

OP
OP
azuano3654

azuano3654

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks great! Thinking about getting these. Do you have the details on cost? Like actual parts, install, alignment, etc? Thanks!
Retail cost is $2,100, I used some Ford Points to bring that cost down. Install was like $500. I haven't actually adjusted alignment yet (or headlights) but it felt just fine out of the garage but that I think will run me another $100-200?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@azuano3654 lemme know what you want me to measure exactly.
Axle centerline to fender (not flare) is standard in the 4WD world. Don't measure from the ground to fender as some do as that doesn't factor in tire wear and inflation when comparing the same tire/wheel on different vehicles

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m really not trying to be a dick or a hater when I say this, but these cost more than the eibachs, aren’t adjustable and give 2” of lift? 3/36k warranty? My dealership are real sticklers about non ford performance parts, especially on the engine (intake, charge pipes, BOV and intercooler all of which I have but doesn’t void the warranty) but know I have the eibachs, zone UCA and fabtech lower rears with the core 4x4 rear track bar and haven’t said a word about it. For the record I think your bronco looks great so kuddos

OP
OP
azuano3654

azuano3654

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m really not trying to be a dick or a hater when I say this, but these cost more than the eibachs, aren’t adjustable and give 2” of lift? 3/36k warranty? My dealership are real sticklers about non ford performance parts, especially on the engine (intake, charge pipes, BOV and intercooler all of which I have but doesn’t void the warranty) but know I have the eibachs, zone UCA and fabtech lower rears with the core 4x4 rear track bar and haven’t said a word about it. For the record I think your bronco looks great so kuddos
As a somewhat noob to the world of 4x4 and who's not really trying to push the limit too far I really liked the idea of these Ford Performance tuned Bilsteins specifically made for a non-SAS Bronco. I'm sure there are some better combos out there but these seem like a great combination, even if the price is a little high (without the Ford points I would have balked probably). That's why I'd like to get more specific technical details that allow for these to be benchmarked against other coilover shocks. Hard to say exactly what "tuned by Ford Performance" gets you - not sure I'd even know how to judge that.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As a somewhat noob to the world of 4x4 and who's not really trying to push the limit too far I really liked the idea of these Ford Performance tuned Bilsteins specifically made for a non-SAS Bronco. I'm sure there are some better combos out there but these seem like a great combination, even if the price is a little high (without the Ford points I would have balked probably). That's why I'd like to get more specific technical details that allow for these to be benchmarked against other coilover shocks.
I’m no 4x4 genius either so again I wasn’t being like a lot of others here, just trying to understand. Also if you’re happy that’s all that matters. I think she looks great

Sponsored
OP
OP
azuano3654

azuano3654

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Axle centerline to fender (not flare) is standard in the 4WD world. Don't measure from the ground to fender as some do as that doesn't factor in tire wear and inflation when comparing the same tire/wheel on different vehicles
With my fenders being different I'm afraid that would affect the comparison. Is there somewhere on the frame that would be ideal to use?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After 9+ mos of waiting on Ford, I finally was able to purchase and install the new Ford Performance Shocks for non-SAS Broncos. The shocks are marketed as "...uniquely tuned and tested by Ford Performance Engineering to optimize ride and performance both Off- and On-Road" as well as "Approximately 2" of lift results in optimal ground clearance and approach/departure angles", and finally "Direct bolt-in replacement suspension package, improving both ride quality and stance of vehicle." The 2" of lift is right about where I wanted to get to as a non-SAS OBX model.

Even thought they're bolt-on replacements, as a result of the 3 yr/36k warranty if installed by an ASE technician I took them to a local overlanding garage who did the install. Unfortunately I didn't take specific measurements on ground clearance before the install but the technician stated he measured 2". I think it's apparent from the pictures that is probably accurate, but I can take some after measurements if someone can provide a non-SAS OBX with stock Badlands wheels/tires starting measurements to compare with. Here is a before/after (the photo dimensions aren't perfect), but it should illustrate the difference in height and stance.

Bronco_Before-After.jpg

• Very happy with the on-road ride quality up to this point. The shocks seemed a little stiff straight out of the garage parking lot but I think they've broken-in quickly. My understanding based on the forum is OBX had the "softest" suspension of all the models so I don't necessarily think these new Ford Performance shocks are softer but they do seem to handle bumps more confidently with the huge 2.65" mono-tube.
  • Love the amount of lift and the improved stance. Seems like it's lost the stock rake but I need to get under there and measure more specifically. I think the stock Badland 17s/33s now seem a little small for the lift and 35s will be in order when I replace the tires (which I should be able to support with 4.27 gearing), but I think the look is somewhat exaggerated because I am running the Ford after-market steel fenders that don't have any lip on them so there's more visibility into the wheel-well. I'll switch back to the painted fenders in the Spring.
  • I haven't been able to take it off-road but I'm confident they're going to be noticeably superior to the stock OBX along with the improved clearance/angles.
I do think the information online for these shocks is lacking at this point - I'd love to understand more in terms of how much travel these have, etc. but all we seem to have is the Ford Performance marketing website info. I was going to call the Ford Performance line and ask for more details but haven't been able to yet. If anyone has more technical details they can share I'd love to see them.

If there are additional pictures or measurements anyone would like to me to provide just let me know. I'm travelling for work over the next few days but I'm sure by the weekend I could provide some updates.

Bronco7.jpg

Shocks.jpg
I appreciate your doing this, would love to see it with the OBX fenders. I too have the Badlands take-offs with 33" tires. The only thing thats kept me from buying the convenient Ford Performance coilovers is that they're not height-adjustable, I only want to set them to 1" of lift, with 33's, I would go to 2" of lift if I went to 35" tires. I'm leaning to the 4WP adjustable Coilovers for that reason, but I can't find a report of someone who has them. I want to know that the upgraded coilovers Highway ride is no worse than (at least as good as) stock. That is, if upgraded shocks ruin the daily drive, they're not worth it to me.

Last edited:

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Even thought they're bolt-on replacements, as a result of the 3 yr/36k warranty if installed by an ASE technician I took them to a local overlanding garage who did the install. Unfortunately I didn't take specific measurements on ground clearance before the install but the technician stated he measured 2". I think it's apparent from the pictures that is probably accurate, but I can take some after measurements if someone can provide a non-SAS OBX with stock Badlands wheels/tires starting measurements to compare with. Here is a before/after (the photo dimensions aren't perfect), but it should illustrate the difference in height and stance.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance 2" Lift Kit Coilovers for non-SAS Bronco Installed! - Impressions, Review, Photos Shocks

Looks great!

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With my fenders being different I'm afraid that would affect the comparison. Is there somewhere on the frame that would be ideal to use?
The 33s look a "little" small but not terrible... I think your fender flares accentuate the gap given how thin they are. Would love to see the OBX flares on there, haha. Ill try to remember to measure mine tomorrow.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This looks amazing, thanks for the great comparison photo - definitely saving that for later! I originally wanted to go with 1.5” lift via Eibachs, but this is a great contender. Might make me want to upgrade from factory tires sooner than I can afford though
Sponsored