Sponsored

Ford, please provide more information about the 10R60 transmission!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco R was used in the Baja 1000. This "race truck" used the stock 2.7 engine and transmission. A stock Bronco was also used in the NORRA Mexican 1000. But neither of these races are valid arguments that the 10R60 is good enough because we don't have validated info about what transmission these Bronco's actually used. Yes, they stated that it was stock. But what is stock?

At one point, we know that Ford planned on using the 10R80 transmission due to several pieces of info, the most notorious of which was the video of one of Ford's engineers stating that the Bronco R has the 10R80 transmission in it. He also states that this transmission will be in the production Bronco.

Then sometime later, without disclosing to the public, Ford changed their plans and replaced the 10R80 transmission with the 10R60. The big question that we don't have an answer to is how many prototypes were made with the 10R80 transmissions? And which transmission did the particular "stock" race truck have that was used in the NORRA Mexican 1000 race? If Ford was still using the 10R80 transmission in their prototypes at the time this truck was manufactured, then we can assume that it had the 10R80. If it was manufactured after they made the switch, then it probably has the 10R60.

So the bottom line is this. As evidence suggests, the Bronco R has the 10R80 transmission so this race vehicle doesn't prove anything about the durability, reliability or longevity of the 10R60 transmission. Nor do we know for assurity if the Bronco used in the NORRA Mexican 1000 race has the 10R60 transmission. Therefore, in my mind, I can't use either of these races as an argument that the 10R60 transmission is "good enough" because we don't know if it was the transmission used in either of these vehicles.

And to further complicate things, we don't really know which transmission is in the prototypes used for much of the Bronco's real-world off-road testing. For example, which transmission was installed in the prototype vehicles used on the Rubicon Trail and in Moab last year? Were these prototypes built before or after the decision was made to use the 10R60? I really wish Ford would step up and provide more information about these transmissions and why they chose the 10R60 over the 10R80. Without this information, we don't really know how much real-world off-road testing has been done with the 10R60 transmission.
Sponsored

MattyAg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco R was used in the Baja 1000. This "race truck" used the stock 2.7 engine and transmission. A stock Bronco was also used in the NORRA Mexican 1000. But neither of these races are valid arguments that the 10R60 is good enough because we don't have validated info about what transmission these Bronco's actually used. Yes, they stated that it was stock. But what is stock?

At one point, we know that Ford planned on using the 10R80 transmission due to several pieces of info, the most notorious of which was the video of one of Ford's engineers stating that the Bronco R has the 10R80 transmission in it. He also states that this transmission will be in the production Bronco.

Then sometime later, without disclosing to the public, Ford changed their plans and replaced the 10R80 transmission with the 10R60. The big question that we don't have an answer to is how many prototypes were made with the 10R80 transmissions? And which transmission did the particular "stock" race truck have that was used in the NORRA Mexican 1000 race? If Ford was still using the 10R80 transmission in their prototypes at the time this truck was manufactured, then we can assume that it had the 10R80. If it was manufactured after they made the switch, then it probably has the 10R60.

So the bottom line is this. As evidence suggests, the Bronco R has the 10R80 transmission so this race vehicle doesn't prove anything about the durability, reliability or longevity of the 10R60 transmission. Nor do we know for assurity if the Bronco used in the NORRA Mexican 1000 race has the 10R60 transmission. Therefore, in my mind, I can't use either of these races as an argument that the 10R60 transmission is "good enough" because we don't know if it was the transmission used in either of these vehicles.

And to further complicate things, we don't really know which transmission is in the prototypes used for much of the Bronco's real-world off-road testing. For example, which transmission was installed in the prototype vehicles used on the Rubicon Trail and in Moab last year? Were these prototypes built before or after the decision was made to use the 10R60? I really wish Ford would step up and provide more information about these transmissions and why they chose the 10R60 over the 10R80. Without this information, we don't really know how much real-world off-road testing has been done with the 10R60 transmission.
Ford Bronco Ford, please provide more information about the 10R60 transmission! E86E48B5-BD3C-419A-81DC-FB815B9AFCB6

Deleted member 18651

I cannot speak for the race models but every single Bronco that has been made for any form of testing, demo, etc. was using a 10R60. There was not a single 10R80 installed in the Bronco prototypes. The Ranger mules even had the 10R60

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cannot speak for the race models but every single Bronco that has been made for any form of testing, demo, etc. was using a 10R60. There was not a single 10R80 installed in the Bronco prototypes. The Ranger mules even had the 10R60
This is very interesting and I hope it is true. May I ask how you know this? What is your source?

Last edited:

Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Step away from the bong...and keyboardo_O

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In that case then, why did it take so long, before it became more common knowledge the 10R60 would be used. I mean you'd think if it was 10R60 from the beginning, that would have been made known in some fashion much earlier.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know about you, but the last thing I'm gonna worry about is if Ford is STUPID enough to put an underpowered transmission into THE most anticipated and watched vehicle launch in quite a while - and for Ford maybe ever.

Now, if you plan to crazy tune your 2.7? Plan to add the rest of the drive train that fits, but please, don't expect Ford to add upgraded parts just in case this or that customer might go crazy at the tuning shop.

I'm 100% sure that Ford has zero interest in replacing blown transmissions under warranty. Ever. It'll be doing just fine.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In that case then, why did it take so long, before it became more common knowledge the 10R60 would be used. I mean you'd think if it was 10R60 from the beginning, that would have been made known in some fashion much earlier.
Probably because they know that the vast majority of car buyers won't ever know or care about the model number of the transmission in the car they bought?
I sure never did nor do I now, but oddly I know the model number of the Bronco AT because it's cause of many threads heres. I could not tell you for the life of me what's in my Tacoma (don't even know how many gears it has) sor my wife's VW, nor did I ever even remotely care. And I doubt Toyota or VW spend any time on making it common knowledge what transmission is in their cars either.

But maybe I'm wrong, do car makers release this information before the model even hits the sales floor? Because it sways customers this or that way? I'm not really a car guy but have background in marketing, just can't see why Ford (or any car company) would spend a penny on advertising what model number transmission is in any of their models. Or do they?

Really just curious, not hating on wanting to know and all that, just nothing I ever would have thought about before reading threads on this forum.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suggest following the 4600 race series.

Ford Bronco Ford, please provide more information about the 10R60 transmission! 1621034478597-
I have also seen and read this. But there is no definitive information that tells us which transmission these vehicles actually have in them. Back to my original point, if these vehicles were manufactured before Ford made the decision to switch from the 10R80 to the 10R60, then they very well could have the 10R80 transmission and still be considered "stock". Again, it would be really nice if Ford would just clear up the confusion by releasing this information.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.